PDA

View Full Version : Recommend your cooking set to me( pots and pans)

daisy13
01-21-2011, 07:02 PM
I have finally managed to convince DH that we need a new set of pots and pans.

Please recommend yours. I think I am leaning towards an all- stainless steel set. I will mostly use a lot of saute pans/pots and a little bit of sauce pans.

I want to get away from non-stick- because of all the chemical leeching concerns.

ETA
this is the one I am eying- thoughts?
http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-77-10-Stainless-Steel-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008CM68/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1295649999&sr=1-1

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 07:06 PM
We have a Lagostina set from Costco. I think they have replaced it with a Kirkland set: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11503441&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90608|56625|55004&N=4047399&Mo=16&pos=1&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=55004&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC10598-Cat56625&topnav=

lhafer
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I have nonstick calphalon and love it. I would completely recommend Calphalon cookware!! They have a stainless steel line as well. http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-tri-ply-stainless-steel-13-pc-cookware-set/298835

Their cookware has a lifetime warranty too.

smiles33
01-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Budget? A line with a lifetime warranty is awesome just in case of issues. DH loves his 2 All Clad pans. Easy to wash for me too!

Babymakes3
01-21-2011, 07:16 PM
DH and I buy a new Calphalon pan every time we hit the outlet store in Orlando. I LOVE their pans and i'm slowly trying to replace my old Sams Club set.

daisy13
01-21-2011, 07:18 PM
thanks for the replies guys!
@Bubbaray- I have been eying that one too..

Budget is <$200 and <$150 if possible.

So all of you that have stainless steel- love it? more than your non stick ones?

bubbaray
01-21-2011, 07:20 PM
I haven't cooked with teflon or nonstick in years. DH recently gave it up (thinking it was HIS idea, LOL). I use cast iron to saute things. He prefers the stainless fry pan. Pancakes and eggs require oil, but I'm happier with that than teflon. JMHO. Never had a problem with anything sticking to the pots.

PunkyBoo
01-21-2011, 07:26 PM
We love our Costco/ Kirkland set. Escpecially because we have an induction cooktop and it is very hard to find induction-compatible sets that aren't hugely expensive.

alexsmommy
01-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Watching this... really, really need a new set, but the budget is very tight right now. I know the tramontina is supposed to get great reviews from Cooks magazine and you can get the full set from Walmart (who'd have thought). I almost never shop there so I haven't had a chance to look at the IRL. I have seen one or two of their pieces at Costco.

american_mama
01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I just went through this in the fall and here is what I wrote then in a similar post:

I am in the market for a whole new set and have been researching it extensively. I want a higher end stainless steel product at a cheap price, so my budget is about $200 for triply pans (aluminum sandwiched between stainless steel on the bottom AND along the sides). All pots and pans have that sandwiching on a disk on the bottom, but only a few have it all along the sides (the box or product description will say that it's also along the sides, although sometimes you have to read it pretty carefully). All items metnioned below are 10 piece sets unless otherwise noted, and all are NOT non-stick. I believe some of them are also available in non-stick variations.

Sears has a Kenmore Triply set on sale until 11/27 for $180, normally $199. I like it because the handles are very comfortable (which I have found to be a rarity in the triply sets). Sears also has a variety of other sets (not triply on the sides, just the triply disk on the bottom) on sale for about $100-130, plus a Faberware set for only $50. This week, Target has a Giada de laurentiis Triply set on sale for $149, normally $199. I am going to look at that set this week. (eta: The Target set was terrible. Pan sizes seemed much larger or smaller than normal, and I think it was short a piece compared to other sets. I bought the kenmore set and have been using it for about 2-3 months. It stains quite easily on the inside and has small burn spots on the outside bottom, but the pans are comfortable and seem to cook ok to well. I am less impressed with the cooking capabilities than I thought I would be. Then again, DH burns pans a lot and I would probably be freaking out if it was a set I'd paid double for.)

Calphalon Outlet Stores are clearing out their old triply sets with new magnetic triply for induction ovens. The triply lines are Calphalon Contemporary and Calphalon Classic. The Contemporary line has brushed steel, a more modern look and pretty comfortable handls: I wasn't a fan of the looks but I did like those handles. Around October 2010, the outlet store in Wrentham, MA had non-induction Calphalon Contemporary at $199 for a 10 piece set and $249 for a 13 piece set, plus shipping; each regularly costs $399 and up normally. I suspect some of their other outlets have similar offers. Bed Bath and Beyond has a very complete offering of various Calphalon products, plus you can use the 20% off coupon and often get a $50 gift card if you spend over a certain amount on Calphalon. It's a good place to look, if nothing else.

Lastly, Walmart is well-known for selling triply Tramontina sets at a great price, often available only online (eta: bt my Walmart just did a renovation and now carries these sets in the store, so it's worth checking). They sell cheaper Tramontina too, so if you want triply, read the product description carefully. It's a Brazilian company that is also sold open-stock at Tuesday Morning but for a bit more. Walmart sells an 8 piece set for $150 and a 10 piece set for $280. For what it's worth, I think the pans at Tuesday Morning are a new variation, maybe to make them induction ready. They are stamped "Made in Brazil" and are not as shiny as they appear in the Walmart photo, which I think is made in China. The question is whether the Walmart photo is accurate or just hasn't been updated to reflect the new variation.

I think JC Penney also sells a Cooks Triply set for $199, regular price.

There are a zillion non-triply pots and pans, and frankly I have found next to no info. about what distinguishes the $50 set from the $150 one. I'd choose based on a recognizable brand, comfortable feel, and aim for a mid to high price point. I've owned a cheap Revereware set for decades and been happy, but I now believe I can get something I'll like better. Non-triply sets that I found commonplace were Cuisinart, Calphalon, warhouse clubs, celebrity chef's like Emerilware and Wolfgang Puck, department store brands, classics like Reverware and FAberware.

wellyes
01-21-2011, 09:22 PM
I was going to recommend the Tramontina too
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tramontina-8-Piece-Cookware-Set/5716478
Cook's Illustrated loves it & says its comparable to the All Clad set. See also: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/equipment-the-all-clad-vs-tramontina-skillet.html

boolady
01-21-2011, 09:30 PM
I'm not a big fan of sets, so I have a few different things that I have slowly bought to replace others, and if I was buying from scratch, I'd do this again. I have a cast iron fry pan that I love, and a cast iron reversible grill/griddle. I have 2 stainless steel pans and 1 stainless smaller pot. I also have an enameled dutch oven. The only other thing I think I could really use would be another cast iron frying pan, larger than the one I have, and then I'd be totally set.

ohsara430
01-21-2011, 11:31 PM
We have calphalon like this

http://store.calphalon.com/calphalon-contemporary-stainless-13-pc-cookware-set/470822

Bought at Macys & have been very happy with it on both glass top & gas stoves.

boltfam
01-21-2011, 11:59 PM
OP, I just bought the set you linked to on Monday. I have used the saute pan so far as well as both saucepans. So far, so good. I actually thought I was buying the cuisinart multi-clad but got this set instead.

FWIW, I think the handles are pretty comfortable. There is also a limited lifetime warranty on them. I had read some previous posts in here which you might find helpful, too.

AnnieW625
01-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Don't buy a set as you will most likely never use the whole set. I have Calphalon Non Stick and have never had a problem with it, but it does have a lifetime warranty. I have one All Clad sauce pot, and one larger stainless sauce pot from a restaurant supply store and I like them both equally. They were both about $40, but one is 1 qt. (All Clad), and the other one no name is a 3 qt., so you definitely save money by going the restaurant supply route.

Here is what I use most (Calphalon unless noted):
2.5 non stick shallow pot (love this for rice!)
2.5 qt. non stick tall pot
4 qt. non stick (Analon) stock pot
8 qt. non stick stock pot
10" non stick frying pan
12" non stick frying pan (I use this a lot less than the 10")
1 qt. stainless All Clad pot
3 qt. stainless pot from restaurant supply store
Lodge cast iron grill pan

I got most of the pieces as a Calphalon set and the only reason I got them is because they were on clearance at Bed Bath and Beyond for around $120, and the single price for the stock pot was $80 so for $40 I ended up with the set, but honestly unless you find a deal like that then just buy pieces as you need them. A 1 qt. sauce pot, a 2 to 3 qt. pot, a stock pot, a 10" frying pan, and a grill pan are really all you need.

RunnerDuck
01-22-2011, 12:13 AM
If money were no object we would have all all-clad... good stuff and it is a local (PA) company. They have an Emeril line that is cheaper but I seem to think that is actually made in China.

katydid1971
01-22-2011, 12:23 AM
I am not a fan of sets. I was given one long ago and found I used a couple things all the time and most of the stuff never. What I currently have is a couple of green frying pans. A stainless steel frying pan (macy's brand its old) a Le Creuset frying pan (its a big one) and Dutch Oven (found at Costco for a good price) and 2 stainless steel All-clad pans, 2 quart and 4 quart. I have come to this collection over time and it works well for me. I really love the Le Creuset and All-Clad products. I have a love hate relationship with the green pans. I would really consider which pans you are reaching for (or wishing you had) and pick them up one by one. Everything I got was purchased on sale or as a special buy over a few years. FWIW I won't cook on nonstick anymore.

RunnerDuck
01-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Oh yeah I wouldn't get a set, nothing too complicated at least - a big pot (6-8qt) and a small pot (2 qt), a big skillet and a small skillet, that should do.

american_mama
01-22-2011, 12:49 AM
To each their own, but sets make total sense to me. I needed to add or replace several pans, plus sets are cheaper than the per piece stuff (if you can even find what you are looking for per piece... lots of lines are only sold as sets).

The most common sets include these items, which I believe I memorized after all my research:

1 or 1.5 quart pan with lid. Good for heating up a can of soup, warming water or milk for cocoa, making small stuff.
3 quart pan with lid. Most used size in my kitchen: used for box of macaroni and cheese, boiling some potatoes, steaming vegetables, etc. etc.
8" inch skillet. Good for making 1 or 2 eggs, 3-4 slices bacon, one grilled sandwich, a small saute of onions/garlic/etc.
10" skillet. Good for cooking ground beef, sauting chicken breasts, making tacos or spaghetti sauce, etc. etc.
3 quart chef skillet/saute pan with helper handle (a deep skillet with straight sides and a small handle opposite the long handle to make it easier to hold). This may come with a lid. Good for cooking large pieces of chicken in sauce (like chicken cacciatore) or large quantities of spaghetti sauce and the like.
stock pot with lid and capacity of 5-8 quarts, depending on brand. Good for making soup, chili, stew, boiling a lot of potatoes or pasta, etc. etc.

I mean, what is extraneous in that set? The chef skillet is a little new to me and I think i've only used it once in 3 months, but all the other items were used in the first month I owned the set.

mommymy
01-22-2011, 01:02 AM
I have the Tramontina from Walmart and love it. Prior to that I had the hard anodized from Analon and was trying to get away from the non stick stuff. I ordered it online when it was on sale for 199 for the set and then had it shipped to store for p/u. The handles do take getting used to b/c they are a bit slender for the big pots but I still recommend them. I love the dutch oven it comes with. I also have a Kirkland oval shaped cast iron,enameled covered dutch oven, a non stick 8 inch skillet for eggs, and a cast iron 12 inch which I hardly use b/c it's so heavy and hard to clean IMO.

If you get the Tramontina do make sure it's the tri-ply all around (base and sides). I initially had bought a Tramontina set from Costco but it was just the base so returned it.

indigo99
01-22-2011, 02:12 AM
We have a couple of stainless pots with copper bottoms that I use for things like boiling eggs and spaghetti - things that won't stick. I mainly use anodized Calphalon though. It won't last forever with daily use, but I don't mind replacing a skillet once in a while if it means that I can have non-stick (anodized doesn't have the same health issues as teflon btw). Not all anodized is created equally either. I have one skillet (forget the brand) that does stick a little while my Calphalon does not.

Whatever you get, make sure that the bottoms are nice and heavy, and do not rinse a hot skillet or pot in cold water. Wait until it is cool before washing (yes, it is easier to wash if you do it right away but the temperature change can warp the pan which will prevent even heating).

The piece that I use the most isn't usually included in sets. It's the 5 quart saute pan (fajitas, burritos, sweet and sour chicken, spaghetti etc. We use this almost every day)
I also really like the double burner grill pan (pancakes, cheese sandwiches, french toast, scrambled eggs)

maestramommy
01-22-2011, 04:47 PM
I have a mishmash of different grades and brands, because I started out with a collection Dh bought from a previous tenant in his bachelor days. The tenant was a gourmet cook, so it wasn't a bad set, just getting old.

My best ones are my All-Clad, which were gifts. I have a saute pan (frying pan?) and a deep saucepan that SIL gave us as wedding gifts 8 years ago. They are still in A+ condition. Dh got me a 3 inch deep 12 inch saute pan with splatter screen for my bday 2 years ago, and I used it all the time. They are all stainless steel. They are HEAVY, but I love using them.

ncat
01-22-2011, 10:10 PM
This is the set that we have:http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12-MultiClad-Stainless-12-Piece/dp/B0007KQZWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295748370&sr=1-1-spell
I think it is decent price right now. We have had it about 3 years now and really like it. We use all of the pieces pretty regularly except the steamer insert and the little skillet. We have a few all clad pieces as well and these are nearly as nice in my opinion.

August Mom
01-22-2011, 11:43 PM
I recently switched to Scanpans. They are non-stick but without the chemicals. I've had a couple of pans for around 2 years and they have been great. The non-stick aspect really works and they heat evenly. You are supposed to be able to use metal and other non-nylon/non-silicone utensils as well, but I haven't because I had all the nylon and silicone utensils for my non-stick Calphalon.

There are 3 levels of Scanpans (I linked some sets, but you can buy individual pieces - Sur La Table has a nice selection):

Classic: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-686840/Scanpan-Classic-Nonstick-Skillets

Professional: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-596106/Scanpan-Professional-Nonstick-10-Piece-Cookware-Set

CTX: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-642413/Scanpan%26%23174%3B-CTX-10-Piece-Nonstick-Cookware-Set

Jacobsmom
01-22-2011, 11:43 PM
We have All-Clad and love them. Took me awhile to get used to them but wouldn't trade them for any others now.

army_mom
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
We have the emerilware set. I like it a lot and use most of the pieces on a daily basis. The only pieces we don't really use are the frying pans. I think we paid around $150 after coupons.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16663719

ahrimie
01-23-2011, 12:31 AM
All Clad Stainless!! I've had mine for 5 years and love them!

Tondi G
01-23-2011, 01:47 AM
we have a cuisinart set. Got it for Xmas a few years ago. Still going strong. I find I turn to my one non stick pan for eggs still but use the stainless stuff otherwise and it works well. We got ours from Bed Bath and Beyond. I have a cast iron grill/griddle pan that I love for steaks and pancakes. we also have a LARGE cast iron pan and while I would love to use it more it's just too big and heavy... unless we are making taco shells.

YouAreTheFocus
01-23-2011, 02:08 AM
I recently switched to Scanpans. They are non-stick but without the chemicals. I've had a couple of pans for around 2 years and they have been great. The non-stick aspect really works and they heat evenly. You are supposed to be able to use metal and other non-nylon/non-silicone utensils as well, but I haven't because I had all the nylon and silicone utensils for my non-stick Calphalon.

There are 3 levels of Scanpans (I linked some sets, but you can buy individual pieces - Sur La Table has a nice selection):

Classic: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-686840/Scanpan-Classic-Nonstick-Skillets

Professional: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-596106/Scanpan-Professional-Nonstick-10-Piece-Cookware-Set

CTX: http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-642413/Scanpan%26%23174%3B-CTX-10-Piece-Nonstick-Cookware-Set

We have been thinking about tossing our conventional nonstick pans, which are in really bad shape, and investing in a set of Scanpans. So you have used some for 2 yrs and are still happy with them? Which level do you have?

mytwosons
01-23-2011, 08:46 AM
I purchased some cuisinart a few years ago and was initially pleased with them. Over time, I noticed the material was thinner and one of our lids and pan have actually bent a bit at the edge.

I picked up some of the tramontina (all-clad) from Walmart and love it. The quality is so much better. (very thick and sturdy) I never really considered All-Clad due to the cost, but if I ever need a new pan, I think I will give them a try, just in case the quality is even better than the tramontina.

lobstergirl
01-23-2011, 12:13 PM
I've had a set of Tools of the Trade from Macy's... they are nice, heavy stainless steel with copper bottoms. No nonstick surfaces to worry about, either. When Macy's has a sale, they are a truly excellent deal. I cook a LOT and have had no problems over the last 6 years of using them. Plus, you can always add other pieces to your set and they all match!
Enjoy shopping for your new set! Nothing is better than new pots 'n pans (except maybe new towels?)
:thumbsup:

truly scrumptious
01-23-2011, 02:30 PM
This is the set that we have:http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12-MultiClad-Stainless-12-Piece/dp/B0007KQZWU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1295748370&sr=1-1-spell
I think it is decent price right now.

:yeahthat:

We have this Cuisinart set too. We regularly use almost all the pieces, and love the set. This is our first stainless set (been using it about 6 months) and we're very happy with it.

kijip
01-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm not a big fan of sets, so I have a few different things that I have slowly bought to replace others, and if I was buying from scratch, I'd do this again. I have a cast iron fry pan that I love, and a cast iron reversible grill/griddle. I have 2 stainless steel pans and 1 stainless smaller pot. I also have an enameled dutch oven. The only other thing I think I could really use would be another cast iron frying pan, larger than the one I have, and then I'd be totally set.

We are not set people here. I buy open stock on sale in very high quality brands. I lean very heavily on my cast iron for skillets. Pan sets and knife sets are usually overkill.

I may be bitter because my husband can ruin pans. The very high quality set I was given by my dad some years ago was all eaten up by my husband's insanity with anything cooking (as opposed to baking) related. It was essentially the same as the Cuisinart linked above.

MommyAllison
01-24-2011, 09:10 PM
To each their own, but sets make total sense to me. I needed to add or replace several pans, plus sets are cheaper than the per piece stuff (if you can even find what you are looking for per piece... lots of lines are only sold as sets).

The most common sets include these items, which I believe I memorized after all my research:

1 or 1.5 quart pan with lid. Good for heating up a can of soup, warming water or milk for cocoa, making small stuff.
3 quart pan with lid. Most used size in my kitchen: used for box of macaroni and cheese, boiling some potatoes, steaming vegetables, etc. etc.
8" inch skillet. Good for making 1 or 2 eggs, 3-4 slices bacon, one grilled sandwich, a small saute of onions/garlic/etc.
10" skillet. Good for cooking ground beef, sauting chicken breasts, making tacos or spaghetti sauce, etc. etc.
3 quart chef skillet/saute pan with helper handle (a deep skillet with straight sides and a small handle opposite the long handle to make it easier to hold). This may come with a lid. Good for cooking large pieces of chicken in sauce (like chicken cacciatore) or large quantities of spaghetti sauce and the like.
stock pot with lid and capacity of 5-8 quarts, depending on brand. Good for making soup, chili, stew, boiling a lot of potatoes or pasta, etc. etc.

I mean, what is extraneous in that set? The chef skillet is a little new to me and I think i've only used it once in 3 months, but all the other items were used in the first month I owned the set.

I agree. We wanted to switch to stainless steel, and for us that meant replacing every pot & pan we owned. We went with a set, and added in a couple pieces of open stock, and we use every single piece very regularly. I bought during Macy's day-after-Christmas sales a few years ago, so I got a great deal. I chose Belgique, after cooking on my mom's set and really liking it. This is the set we have http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=452549&CategoryID=29088 and then we added a stainless wok and a stainless small frying pan, all from the same line.

I think though, that buying a set worked well for me because I already knew what pieces I want and use. When DH and I got married, I had no idea what I would want, and thankfully, we just got open stock at the time. After being married for 5 years though, my cooking style had formed enough that I was able to weed through different set options, knowing exactly what I wanted.