PDA

View Full Version : Any one else contracting ALL the time?

JenaW
01-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Ugh. It is making me so cranky. I am 32 weeks preg with #6, so (a) having 5 young kids at home certainly does not help, and (b) since this is pregnancy #10 (4 losses) my uterus is pretty stretched out. Saw the high risk OB before Christmas and fortunately, even though I am 1-2 cm dilated, my cervix measured over 5cm long ultrasonographically ("ridiculously long" in his opinion) so I am not on bedrest. Just "restricted" activity (meaning no fun with hubby, no exercise, no heavy lifting). I can still work as long as my every-other-week fetal fibronectins remained neg, which they have so far. I know I should not complain as it could be much much worse. After having a 25 weeker, I know that. But the contractions are not comfortable at all. They tried some procardia at L&D but my BP runs low and it just bottomed me out, so my OB doesn't want to prescribe it. Up until recently, I only contracted if I did too much standing or walking. but today, I have parked my butt at the computer (doing some CME online) and been doing puzzles with the kids, yet I am still contracting. They vary from hard menstrual tight cramps to all out uterine hardening and low back pain. If I were not pregnant I'd be popping 600mg motrin. Last Friday when they were coming consistently every 8 min, my OB recommended a glass of wine and a warm bath. That worked, but I can't do that every day all the time (can I??). Given my 4 losses and my preemie, I know how fortunate I am to be pregnant at all and to be at nearly 33 weeks. But ugh....

daisymommy
01-22-2011, 04:56 PM
Ugh. I know from personal experience how NOT fun that is! With my last baby from 32 weeks I was having contractions, sometimes regularly, and was dilated 2-3 cm., quite effaced. So I was on bed rest. I was let off at 36 weeks, and the contractions just kept on coming. Twice I ended up in a warm bath, drinking lots of water and the midwife flying towards our house thinking the baby was coming soon. And yet, he ended up a full week over due. Crazy huh? I hated never knowing if it was really "time" or not!

essnce629
01-22-2011, 05:43 PM
Start taking daily epsom salt baths (2 cups of salt in the water), up your calcium and magnesium intake, start drinking at least one sports drink every day in addition to increasing your water intake, and increase your protein intake (aim for 80-100 grams a day).

I started having non-stop contractions (2 minutes apart) starting at 26 weeks with DS2 and they lasted till I gave birth at 38 weeks 5 days (5-20 minutes apart all the time). I was never on bedrest and I'm not sure if I was dilating since I was only checked once at around 30 weeks and was "fingertip" dilated. When they'd get less then 5 minutes apart I'd get in the bath with my water bottle and sports drink. I increased my calcium (calcium citrate) to 1000mg three times a day and was taking 3tsp a day of Natural Calm (powdered magnesium drink that you mix with water). Twice when the contractions got down to less than 2 minutes apart my midwives had me drink 1oz of vodka to calm down my uterus. Any alcohol will work (they wanted me to drink wine), but I don't drink ever, and the vodka had no taste and was able to be mixed into a smoothie.

DS2 was born at home at 38 weeks 5 days and was a healthy big guy at 8 lbs 10 oz.

JenaW
01-23-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the commiseration. It's nice to know I am not alone.

Latia - thanks for your suggestions. I'll definitely be trying them. I already drink a TON of water, and certainly up my intake when I start contracting. Haven't done the sports drink. It certainly can't hurt. Any idea why the calcium AND magnesium? Obviously I understand the mag, but not the calcium. Muscles need calcium to contract, and some of the tocolytics (procardia/nifedipine) are calcium channel blockers. Also, cal and mag usually offset each other.

Do you know what the epsom salts do? I LOVE baths and have been using my contractions as an excuse to get in the tub whenever I can. I was able to use the soaking jacuzzi tub during my last labor (even though my water broke) and was absolutely amazed at how wonderful it was. I was hyperstimming with cervidil, even after they removed it. IVF had not helped at all, they wanted to give me a tocolytic to slow the contractions down, but the PA agreed to let me try the tub. It gave me a much needed (albeit temporary) break.

Thanks!
Jera

essnce629
01-30-2011, 01:38 AM
Oops, just seeing this now!

Epsom salts are magnesium sulfate, which is what they give women through an IV to stop preterm labor. During a bath it is absorbed through the skin and can really help slow down or stop the contractions. When given though an IV is has a lot of side effects which is why it's usually a last ditch effort in the hospital.

Calcium and magnesium are necessary for proper muscle functioning. The uterus is a muscle and deficiencies in calcium and magnesium can lead to frequent Braxton hicks during pregnancy (leg cramps too) and more painful contractions in labor.
Magnesium works to ease pain. It relaxes the constricting muscles causing the discomfort, allowing for lessened tension and relief. You have to have the magnesium to make sure the calcium gets absorbed. I don't know why increasing the calcium works, but both my midwives recommended it and I know there are studies showing that increasing calcium decreases menstrual cramps so it must have some kind of similar effect.