PDA

View Full Version : If you are 5 ft 7" where do you buy pants?

anamika
01-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Do you buy tall?
5ft 7" is such an awkward height - too short for the tall and right at the top of the regular size.
I bought pants from ATL, Macy's and some boutique shop. All fit fine in the store. After 2-3 washes, I swear they all become shorter (but fit fine elsewhere). If they really shrank, I could use them as cropped pants but they are at just the right length to look terrible even with flat flats!!
Am I the only one with this problem??
Where do you mamas buy your pants??

mom2khj
01-22-2011, 11:52 PM
I have this problem too and have yet to find the solution.

I think Lands End lets you choose your hem length? It's been awhile since I tried their pants. Last time I tried, I just didn't like the fit otherwise it would've been the perfect solution!

twowhat?
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
I'm 5'6'' but I have the same problem. Some pants in regular lengths aren't long enough, like the CK jeans that I have, and Old Navy stuff.

Brands that run longer in length in their regular-length sizes: j crew (I actually have to buy the short lengths of jeans from jcrew!) - their regular lengths are long enough to require heels!

I've also had good luck with Ann Taylor - just bought some suiting pants from there which are 3 inches or so too long. I'm not sure about their non-suiting pants though - could see their cotton pants shrinking to too-short.

eta: forgot about BR! I got pants there last week that are the perfect length on me if I wear low heels - so for 5'7'' they'd work if you wear flats (depending on how much of the length is in your legs). I wear a 32 inch inseam if that helps (with flats).

♥ms.pacman♥
01-23-2011, 12:14 AM
i have this same problem (5'6" but with long legs). i hate it when i sit down and the pants practically go halfway up my calves, it seems. half the time the "regular" lengths are too short.

as PP said i often have to buy pants with specified inseam (usually 32"). usually if it's just marked as "tall" it's often too long. at Gap and JCrew the "tall" pants are like 34" which is usually too long.

MontrealMum
01-23-2011, 12:45 AM
I'm 5'7", and with hem lengths being so much longer for the past 5-8 years now, I no longer buy tall (though I used to). I get most of my dress pants from BR, and my favorite jeans are Lucky. I also buy men's pants from JCrew :)

AT I find can be too short some of the time as can Talbot's - it's hit or miss. Gap had a taller length that I used to like but I don't remember what it was called and I don't shop there much anymore so I'm not familiar w/what they have now. I don't normally wear Old Navy but their maternity tall was great when I was pregnant. I don't usually buy pants from LE, but I know LLB used to have "medium tall" as an option, and those were perfect!

I like my inseam to be around 32"-34" depending on where the pants sit on my hips, and how high the heels of my shoes are.

indigo99
01-23-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm a little over 5'7" and hadn't really had this problem until recently. I went to a consignment store and couldn't find any pants that were long enough. I don't know if people just had them all hemmed or what, but seriously... I tried on at least a dozen pairs of pants that were all too short.

I buy most everything at Kohls though and, except for that one dressing room full of second-hand pants, I rarely have any trouble with the regular length.

kozachka
01-23-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm 5'7", and with hem lengths being so much longer for the past 5-8 years now, I no longer buy tall (though I used to). I get most of my dress pants from BR, and my favorite jeans are Lucky.

:yeahthat: I also buy a fair amount of my clothing from BR and my favorite jeans are Lucky. For work I buy Brooks Brothers suiting pants that I have dry cleaned. So far, I have not had any noticeable issues with pants being too short. I also have 7 by All Mankind jeans that were way too long and had to be taken to a tailor.

LexyLou
01-23-2011, 04:06 AM
I'm 5'7" and very long legged (VERY short waisted).

#1 rule for me is to never ever dry my pants. Designer jeans, which most of my friends shorten, are usually the right length for me if not borderline, so they never get dried.

I do have to buy talls at a lot of places but I've found that in the past couple of years longer is more popular so I can get away with regular lengths. I can never buy pants at Old Navy. But Banana and Gap are good although Gap frustrates me because their regulars are too short but their talls are 4" longer which is too long!

I don't know, it's trial and error. That wasn't very helpful, was it?

pastrygirl
01-23-2011, 09:07 AM
I find pants too long and have to hem them! (I wear a 30" inseam.) I usually buy from the Gap and Nordstrom Rack. I always wash on cold and dry on delicate. Jeans might shrink up a touch, so I hem after washing.