PDA

View Full Version : Replacing vegetable oil in brownie mixes

Fairy
01-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Applesauce? Never seems to work out well for me. Using that Ghiradeli mix from costco. i hate that oil taste, and I can always taste the oil. most folks I know can't. Then again, I won't be eating them, so ... maybe I just let it go. What do you use to replace?

kijip
01-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Melted butter. Sour cream. Both 1-1 with the oil called for.

Also yogurt can be used, as can mayonnaise (best with chocolate recipes which will conceal the flavor of the mayo). I have a friend who uses ricotta cheese.

bubbaray
01-23-2011, 12:23 AM
1/2 oil, 1/2 applesauce.

ThreeofUs
01-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I hear you about not liking the veggie oil taste. Me, either! Have you tried, however, a really good oil, like organic canola?

I put an extra egg and organic canola in my brownies and everyone dives for them.

wellyes
01-23-2011, 11:08 AM
Try using just the mix plus a can of pumpkin (just pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling). It's a Hungry Girl trick. It tastes FANTASTIC, no butter or oil needed.

Looked it up - apparently greek yogurt would work too
http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1543

weech
01-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Try using just the mix plus a can of pumpkin (just pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling). It's a Hungry Girl trick. It tastes FANTASTIC, no butter or oil needed.

:yeahthat: I just made the pumpkin ones, they're pretty good. I typically use half applesauce, half oil, though. Want to try the greek yogurt next.

mommylamb
01-23-2011, 08:48 PM

mmmm... that sounds yummy.

Fairy
01-24-2011, 12:48 AM
I did one batch with oil (horrible) one batch of sometihng else with the applesauce, and those were ... ok. Not great. Gingerbread cake mix from TJ's as cupcakes. Now, what really got me excited was that they were totally perfect by way of form and doneness and rising, and that ain't at all like me. And my first time ever frosting was perfect! So,now I'm really jonesin' to do more cupcakes and hve been inspired by cupcake wars to do something really fun for the superbowl party we'll be at. This was like a test run. Interestinly,. my god awful oil brownies went like hotcakes. I don't get it. the cupcakes did ok, too. But I'm going to try the sour cream next tiime and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the replies. Put me on stage in a stadium of people and I'll make something work. Put me in a kitchen and I get shpilkies and look for any reason to get the hell out. So, the kitchen help does mean alot to me, thank you.

ThreeofUs
01-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies. Put me on stage in a stadium of people and I'll make something work. Put me in a kitchen and I get shpilkies and look for any reason to get the hell out. So, the kitchen help does mean alot to me, thank you.

So, put you in a kitchen on a stage in a stadium full of people and you get ... what?

Just askin'

:bouncy:

Fairy
01-24-2011, 10:27 AM
So, put you in a kitchen on a stage in a stadium full of people and you get ... what?

Just askin'

:bouncy:

If I'm playing a role, I might pull that off. If I'm supposed to create food, then it's still a kitchen!

Fairy
02-05-2011, 12:47 PM
Just wanted to mention, I used sour cream, and it was PERFECT. Applesauce has never really been that great for me, but the sour cream was just exactly perfect. Used it in two recipes since this post. I think we'll be sticking with that from here on out!