PDA

View Full Version : It's just unpasteurized soft cheese right?

okinawama
01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
I always read about people staying away from soft cheese's during pregnancy, but I thought that as long as it was pasteurized than it was fine. Am I wrong?

wellyes
01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
You're right, pasteurized is fine.

I thought your thread was going to be "so what, I just ate a little unpastuerized soft cheese" - which even that would PROBABLY be ok but carries a small chance of very high risk. Pasteurized soft cheese don't have that risk.

RunnerDuck
01-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Yeah you're supposed to avoid unpasteurized - and most people don't realize it's actually hard to get non-pasteurized cheese in this country. I avoided blue cheese dressing my whole pregnancy with my son, not realizing it's almost all pasteurized.

Most things you buy in a store or restaurant are going to be pasteurized.

Mommy_Mea
01-23-2011, 08:10 PM
Yes, it is just unpasturized soft cheeses. All during my first pregnancy, I stared longingly at the feta cheese at the salad bar at work, not knowing this. This pregnancy, I asked them to double check the label, and then I happily sprinkled it on my salad! All that wasted time without feta :love5:

liamsmom
01-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Why don't OBs clarify this? I wouldn't eat at a brand new Greek restaurant by my house when I was pregnant because I didn't want to skip the feta. Looking back on it, it seems pretty silly.

okinawama
01-23-2011, 10:49 PM
Great! Thanks ladies. That's what I thought, but nobody really specifies ( OB's included) that it's unpasteurized soft cheese not all soft cheeses in general. I have another wheel of brie waiting in the fridge :)

MommytoEliana
01-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Why don't OBs clarify this? I wouldn't eat at a brand new Greek restaurant by my house when I was pregnant because I didn't want to skip the feta. Looking back on it, it seems pretty silly.

Plus, soft cheese are okay if they've been cooked, IIRC, so like spanakopitas would be fine, for instance. Mmm...spanakopita...now I have a craving!