PDA

View Full Version : Petty annoyances- share yours too

SnuggleBuggles
01-23-2011, 10:21 PM
I went to the movies last night ("The King's Speech"- I recommend it!) and the person in front of me was eating popcorn for the whole movie. Crinkle, crinkle, crunch, crunch all the way through. It reminded me that my friend did the same thing last time we went out and I was annoyed then and had never before that noticed other people still nursing a bag of popcorn that long. Don't most people finish off heir bags or stop eating by the midway point in the movie? I just kept thinking that he had to be done soon and would stop distracting me! Wrong!

Anyway, that's what is annoying me now. How about you?

Beth

LD92599
01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
People not clearing snow off their cars, c'mon don't be so lazy!

Or all the folks that park in the fire zone @ costco. That store needs a loading area like lowe's!

veronica
01-23-2011, 10:33 PM
I posted about this here years ago, but it still gets me:

when people do not walk on the right hand side of the halls or up/down stairwells. it just creates mass confusion.

kristenk
01-23-2011, 10:43 PM

when people do not walk on the right hand side of the halls or up/down stairwells. it just creates mass confusion.

I must have been thinking of you today! I was at the mall today and checked out the traffic pattern.

HIU8
01-23-2011, 11:14 PM
Mine are all DH related:

-He leaves cabinets and closets open ALL THE TIME
-He puts used tea bags in the sink instead of the trash
-He puts his used napkin on his plate and mixes it in his food and then puts his plate in the sink and I have to fish out the napkin (YUCK)
-He leaves newspaper out so newsprint is on the carpet and the couch

edurnemk
01-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Mine are all DH related:

DH does that too! I have banged my head in one of the upper cabinet doors more than once.

He also leaves the wet towel on the bed and his clothes on the floor.

I am very annoyed by neighbors that won't say hello back/wave back/at least acknowledge with a nod.

Oh, the not walking on the right side also annoys me.

MamaMolly
01-24-2011, 01:07 AM
-He puts used tea bags in the sink instead of the trash
-He puts his used napkin on his plate and mixes it in his food and then puts his plate in the sink and I have to fish out the napkin (YUCK)
-He leaves newspaper out so newsprint is on the carpet and the couch

I'm the bad one about the cabinets, but other than that you described my DH to a T!

crl
01-24-2011, 01:15 AM
People who are late. All the time. I understand traffic, last second diaper changes, etc. But that's the exception not the rule. My time is important too.

And I agree, walk on the right!

Catherine

MamaMolly
01-24-2011, 01:19 AM
It is downright churlish to complain about overly helpful customer service, but OMG. Tonight I about lost my mind!!!

I called the customer service number for my checking account. Pushing the daggum button to lower the volume on my cell woke up the baby. (we are doing CIO, but that is a whole 'nother BP!!)
Thought I was getting an automated service (punch in number and pin and done!) but NO. Midnight on Sunday took me to a LIVE person. Who I had to talk to. And woke up the baby.

When I muttered I wanted to check my balance she cheerfully and LOUDLY transferred me.
So I had to talk to another person. Which woke up the baby.

She wanted to verify that I was me. So I gave her the account number. Which woke up the baby.
SHe wanted to verify my address, so I had to choose one of the 4 possible addresses we may have used. And guess what. The baby kept crying. LOUDER.

Of course I picked the wrong address, so she asked for another one. I mentioned the places it *could* be and she asked where I opened the account. Baby screaming her head off.

She asked me to tell her my date of birth. Wailing and shrieking coming from the crib.

At this point I said *very, very, very* quietly that every time I make a sound the baby cried. I just want the account balance!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead:

Sigh. She actually seemed a little sad I didn't want to chat. Reluctant to say goodnight. Had to go on and on about what kind of day she hoped I had. She was sweet and all but OMG. SHUT UP ALREADY.

bigpassport
01-24-2011, 01:24 AM
When the salesperson at the clothing store sees me looking through the rack for a size, asks if they can help me find a size, then goes through the SAME rack I just went through...how is that helping??!!

jgenie
01-24-2011, 01:28 AM
DS2 is obsessed with his new knowledge of gravity. He has started taking a bite of food then throwing the remainder on the floor. Picks up next item and repeats. I'm soooo tired of cleaning the floor. He's a great eater though so I won't complain too loudly. :)

ShanaMama
01-24-2011, 01:51 AM
Kids who stare. Even better, parents who stare.
Hello, I am trying to teach my kids manners but I have no interest in teaching yours! I can't count how many times I've said a sickly sweet snarky comment to a kid in the pizza store just _staring_ at us. Like, "hi, how are you" in a real sweet voice. Translation: say something, smile, or get the heck out of here!

Neatfreak
01-24-2011, 01:59 AM
People driving and parking their motorcycles on the sidewalk, particularly when I am using the sidewalk to take my small kids back to our car.

kara97210
01-24-2011, 03:08 AM

This really bugs me. It also bothers me when people stop in really inconvenient places to talk. Yesterday I had to run to the mall for a couple of things and there were 2 women standing at the top of an escalator, completely clueless that people were straining to get around them. Drives me crazy.

DebbieJ
01-24-2011, 03:19 AM
People who park in the Chili's to Go parking spots when they fully intend to park their fat asses in a booth and stay for a few hours.

Guess who was picking up food to go and had nowhere to park? Yep, that was me.

cvanbrunt
01-24-2011, 06:59 AM
My youngest DD has started making a noise. It sounds like she's swishing spit around in her mouth. Ick. Makes me crazy.

wellyes
01-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Dear drivers,

If it's very cold and I'm trying to walk across the street at a stop sign, LET ME. I know it's a pain to actually stop at a stop sign. But you are in warm in your car and I'm trying to get somewhere warm. Have mercy.

If it's raining and there are puddles all over the street and pedestrians on the sidewalk, try to avoid AIMING for the puddles. I guess it's more fun for you to see the water splash, whoosh!!! But that same fun water, when it hits the people on the sidewalk, does not make them happy. It makes them filthy. Be just slightly aware of your surroundings, would you?

Cheers,
A cold wet dirty pedestrian

elliput
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
One of my biggests annoyances is people who stand right in front of elevator doors and expect to walk right in. Especially if it is just a two level elevator. HELLO! The people on here need to get off first. Don't look so surprised when we are staring at you to move out of the way.

The other is people who stand in or just outside of a doorway. Step to the side so others can pass. Oblivious. GAH!!!

MomToOne
01-24-2011, 10:14 AM
People that talk on their phone in stores. I know it's the thing now but it's so annoying. I shush them sometimes ;)

Standing in doorways

Walking their dogs and letting the leash extend so it takes up the whole width of the sidewalk. While they're talking on the phone and not paying attention of course.

Texting while having a conversation with you and then saying "I *am* listening!"

Using the last of something and not replacing it / alerting someone to the fact

Commercials at the movies. Commercials before you can watch a youtube video.

Check out kids that are having a conversation rather then paying attention to ringing you up and bagging the groceries. Then throw everything in the bags every which way.

sigh that felt good :bag:

gatorsmom
01-24-2011, 10:33 AM
I have so many right now, I could list them all and slow down the server. So, I'll cut it to what's bugging me now.

Awesome nannies that give up (read my long post for further info).

Christmas decorations that dont' put themselves away.

Legos quietly waiting on the floor at midnight waiting for me to step on them.

It's snowing AGAIN.

Typical Midwest January weather that doesn't know when to go away.

My unorganized, half unpacked office/workout room that won't ever stay clean.

The fact that I don't know when I'll be able to fit workout time into my day. I need to, too, because I've gained back all the weight I lost last summer and am approaching the fat-pants-are-getting-too-tight point. I figured (very incorrectly) that after the holidays when things were settling down around here I could get in an hour 3 or 4 times a week to exercise. Now with having to train a new nanny in the future, I don't know when it's going to happen. sigh.

Ok, I'm stopping now.

belovedgandp
01-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Number one on my list is people who throw trash out their car windows; especially cigarette butts. Drives me crazy; come on people it's dirty and dangerous.

Right now the martyrs of the world are on my nerves. No one has it as bad as they do ..... blah, blah, blah.... get over yourself everyone is in the same boat and most people are coping much better than you or dealing with much bigger issues.

lmintzer
01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Toilet seats left up!
Night lights left on
Crumbs left on the kitchen table
My own procrastination with various projects

Twoboos
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
The n'hood dog owners who don't pick up after their dogs. It's winter, the only place for the dogs to poop is on the side of the street. (All sidewalks/grass is covered with many feet of snow.) Where my kids walk to get the bus. It is disgusting to stand at the end of the street surrounded by piles of dog poop.

I spoke to one of the neighbors today. She said she's pick up one pile but the others were frozen so it was OK. I said, until they thaw out and are a target again!! Hellooooooo....

gatorsmom
01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
It is downright churlish to complain about overly helpful customer service, but OMG. Tonight I about lost my mind!!!

I called the customer service number for my checking account. Pushing the daggum button to lower the volume on my cell woke up the baby. (we are doing CIO, but that is a whole 'nother BP!!)
Thought I was getting an automated service (punch in number and pin and done!) but NO. Midnight on Sunday took me to a LIVE person. Who I had to talk to. And woke up the baby.

When I muttered I wanted to check my balance she cheerfully and LOUDLY transferred me.
So I had to talk to another person. Which woke up the baby.

She wanted to verify that I was me. So I gave her the account number. Which woke up the baby.
SHe wanted to verify my address, so I had to choose one of the 4 possible addresses we may have used. And guess what. The baby kept crying. LOUDER.

Of course I picked the wrong address, so she asked for another one. I mentioned the places it *could* be and she asked where I opened the account. Baby screaming her head off.

She asked me to tell her my date of birth. Wailing and shrieking coming from the crib.

At this point I said *very, very, very* quietly that every time I make a sound the baby cried. I just want the account balance!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead:

Sigh. She actually seemed a little sad I didn't want to chat. Reluctant to say goodnight. Had to go on and on about what kind of day she hoped I had. She was sweet and all but OMG. SHUT UP ALREADY.

I'm sorry that sounds terrible. But Molly your posts always make me giggle. :hysterical:

gatorsmom
01-24-2011, 01:37 PM
If it's very cold and I'm trying to walk across the street at a stop sign, LET ME. I know it's a pain to actually stop at a stop sign. But you are in warm in your car and I'm trying to get somewhere warm. Have mercy.

:yeahthat: Big time. The worst is when this happens at Target or another store. You are trying to get out to your car or into the store- with kids in tow- and they are giving you this look like, "do I have to let you cross?" It drives me nuts! Jeepers, it's friggin cold out here and I have kids! What could you need so bad that you can't let us cross in front of you first???

resipsaloquitur
01-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Other parents who take up two spots at our crowded karate class parking. Geesh, then I have to sit there and stare at you the whole class trying to be polite and not say anything. And don't they realize if others did that the next time it would be them that's trudging with karate gear from the back lot?

swrc00
01-24-2011, 01:45 PM
People who smoke right outside of a doorway to a restaurant or store. Seriously, you chose the habit, take yourself and the cloud of chemicals furthur down the sidewalk. I don't care how cold you are, better yet smoke in your car with the windows closed.

Okay, I will climb down off my soap box now. :wink2:

HIU8
01-24-2011, 02:16 PM
People who NEVER clean up after themselves (I am not YOUR mother--yes another DH)

People who park WAY to close in a very empty parking lot

It's winter---TURN ON YOUR HEAT

DS leaves all the lights on in every room he goes to ALL THE TIME

DD has decided to never flush the toilet again.

jenfromnj
01-24-2011, 02:34 PM
People who speed up instead of slowing down as I'm walking in the crosswalk with DS into/out of stores--hello, I'm a pedestrian.. in a crosswalk..in a parking lot..with a 1 y/o in a cart/stroller/my arms--you really want to try to mow me down to save yourself 4 seconds?

People who veer into my lane on the highway because they're too busy texting to pay attention to driving.

Teen and 20-something store employees who are texting/BBMing while trying to simultaneously check out my items--you're not getting paid to talk to your friends, kids!

(And yes, I realize that these all make me sound like one of those crazy old people who stand out in the street in their bathrobes and shake their newspapers at 'you darned kids!', but I'm embracing being old and crotchety--it's part of my NY's resolution, and easier to keep than WW!)

mezzona
01-24-2011, 02:46 PM

and, if you're gunna walk really slow, stay on the FAR right so i can overtake you!

i hate stalking someone for a parking spot then they get in their car and just sit there. this woman started cleaning the interior of her car. REALLY?! and then i am just optimistic that she'll go any moment now so i;m reluctant to move. but she doesnt. i hate when i am "moded".

i get really peeved when cashiers/cs ppl talk to their coworkers and i, the customer, am invisible.

TwinFoxes
01-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Mine are all DH related:

:bag One of my college roommates honestly thought our house had been ransacked one day because every single kitchen cabinet was left open by me. I've tried to get better, but I still slip up.

My petty annoyance lately is people who drive UNDER the speed limit. I don't understand. We'll pass the speed limit sign, and I'll think "oh, they'll speed up now". Nope, we're still creeping along. And I'm not talking during icy/wet weather. Usually the car behind ME will then cross a double yellow to try to pass both me and the slow poke. That annoys me even more!!

AbbysMom
01-24-2011, 02:55 PM
DD has decided to never flush the toilet again.

No one in my house flushes. I go from bathroom to bathroom from morning to night flushing what other people should have flushed. Drives me batty!

lizzywednesday
01-24-2011, 03:03 PM

(And yes, I realize that these all make me sound like one of those crazy old people who stand out in the street in their bathrobes and shake their newspapers at 'you darned kids!', but I'm embracing being old and crotchety--it's part of my NY's resolution, and easier to keep than WW!)

No, they didn't.

Though if they're texting their pals while they're scanning my purchases and THEN they call me "ma'am" I get ruffled. Being called "ma'am" may be polite, but, doggone it, it makes me feel OLD.

golightly1118
01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Just a few...

-People who play chicken behind my car when I'm trying to back out of a parking space. If I can't back out, neither one of you can get in!
-People who stand by the entrance to businesses and smoke, when there is a sign clearly posted that you can't smoke within 15 feet of the door. If I wanted to inhale smoke, I'd have taken up the habit years ago!
-People who comment on how tiny DD is. Yes, I know she's in the 3rd percentile, but she's perfectly happy and healthy. I'm a 5'0, petite adult-it's genetic!
-My HOA's refusal to have the sidewalks/driveways cleared of snow this winter. It's insane-trying to leave my house is like driving my car on a bobsled track.

marie
01-24-2011, 04:47 PM
-drivers who tailgate and then pass me in a no-passing zone on slippery, snow-covered roads. i'm going 35 in a 50 for a damn good reason. i secretly wish i get to pass them a few minutes later after they have gone off the road :bag

-people who leave their cars idling when they are not in them - especially at school. i know it's 10 degrees outside but you are pumping pollution right.at.my.child's.face. AND you are wasting fuel. Just turn the damn car off.

well, i feel better now. thank you.

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2011, 04:48 PM
well, i feel better now. thank you.

Happy to oblige!!

Beth

Carrots
01-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Traffic Related:
People who don't know the meaning of "merge" when entering the highway from an on-ramp.

People behind you that won't let you in front of them when 2 lanes merge into 1. It is not a game, people. I am not "winning" because I happened to merge into line before your car. I am just trying to get to my destination, like you.

When I was working in Boston, it used to drive me CRAZY when people would stand on the moving escalator during rush hour when the rest of us were running down the escalator to catch the subway/commuter rail. For the love of pete, take the elevator!!

People who crowd near the subway doors, leaving the ends of the car empty. If a woman screamed at you to move down into the car to make room for people, it was probably me.

People who mess with the thermostat.

(I am a SAHM now)
People who let their dogs off leash because they are "friendly". I don't care if your dog is a "Doggie Mother Theresa", my dog (a small Shih Tzu who is NEVER off leash) is not friendly and does not appreciate other dogs in his face. He will bite your dog and he will be the one who gets hurt if your "friendly" dog bites back. I know from experience.

** It is a depressing 7 degrees in MA today. Can you tell I am going out of my mind with this weather?

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Dear drivers,

If it's raining and there are puddles all over the street and pedestrians on the sidewalk, try to avoid AIMING for the puddles. I guess it's more fun for you to see the water splash, whoosh!!! But that same fun water, when it hits the people on the sidewalk, does not make them happy. It makes them filthy. Be just slightly aware of your surroundings, would you?

Cheers,
A cold wet dirty pedestrian\\

Ooh, I hadn't read this till now but it is timely! Today I was toasty in my warm car and it was freezing outside. A pedestrian, not at a real cross walk, indicated that I could go first when we got there at the same time and I waved him on. After all, I was warm and snug and he was cold...of course I was going to let him go!

Beth

theriviera
01-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I went to the movies last night ("The King's Speech"- I recommend it!) and the person in front of me was eating popcorn for the whole movie. Crinkle, crinkle, crunch, crunch all the way through. It reminded me that my friend did the same thing last time we went out and I was annoyed then and had never before that noticed other people still nursing a bag of popcorn that long. Don't most people finish off heir bags or stop eating by the midway point in the movie? I just kept thinking that he had to be done soon and would stop distracting me! Wrong!

Anyway, that's what is annoying me now. How about you?

Beth

That drives me nuts too! Of course, I can't stand any loud eating. The worst for me is gum chewing. I hate it. Drives me nuts. DH loves to chew gum and it is so irritating!

HonoluluMom
01-24-2011, 05:01 PM
At the bank, when people fill out their transaction slips at the teller window and then wonder why the line is so long.

MaiseyDog
01-24-2011, 05:33 PM
People who talk on their cell phones in public restrooms.

People picking at their fingernails. DH swears I can hear that click, click sound from the otherside of the house with the doors closed.

kijip
01-24-2011, 06:43 PM
People (and I am looking at YOU, husband and grandpa) who think that the main purpose of sippy cups is to manufacture yogurt. Or I assume that is what they think they are for because they leave them, sealed on the counter when F is done with them rather than unscrewing the lid and rinsing it out. So gross.

People at work who keep their workspaces and common areas in a heaping mess. I hate running around telling people to clean up for donors. Sometimes donors just walk in too. I don't care if someone is a messy desk person but is it necessary to stack junk on the wall next to your desk? Really? You can't take it to the trash or store it in the HUGE basement we have? Are you quite sure? And since you are all hanging out in my nicely maintained office which is comfortable and decorated nicely, maybe just maybe that means that you would like to get with the program and make your office comfortable too.

DrSally
01-24-2011, 06:54 PM
Sippys and bags of actual food left in my van. I prefer to take things in and out of the house, not have the van be a dumping ground. All those cups have to be washed eventually.

Expensive German sharp knives left in water. I cannot stand dull knives and nothing dulls a knife faster than water. I also don't want to carry a 2 year old and hold a 5 year olds hand while carrying a bag full of knives to be sharpened. Please just wipe them off and put them away to save me the trouble.

Going out the front door and not locking it upon return (we always go out the back/garage door when leaving the house).

When the cable goes out all day

ITA about people standing right at the entrance to the elevator.

KLD313
01-24-2011, 07:11 PM
When several people walk next to each other really slowly in the mall so you can't walk by them.

When the person in front of you doesn't hold the door and let's it slam in your face.

People who crack their gum.

pinkmomagain
01-24-2011, 08:00 PM
Women who talk on their cell phones (lengthy conversations) at the nail salon.

lmh2402
01-24-2011, 09:54 PM
People picking at their fingernails. DH swears I can hear that click, click sound from the otherside of the house with the doors closed.

:yeahthat:

or who clip their nails in public...i'm not sure how or why anyone would EVER think this was a good or acceptable idea, but so many people clip their nails on the subway. it is super foul

also, people who do that suck/snort thing with snot, rather than blowing their nose. i find that absolutely disgusting too. seems to be a male thing. i banned it in my house, but every once in a while i catch DH in the shower and he has to hear me :nono:

disorganization in general. and in particular, the fact that my DH throws everything from his pockets on top of his bureau every night. empty gum wrappers. receipts. twist ties from the dry cleaner bags. it is like a massive garbage pit ON TOP of his dresser. it drives me batty.

crl
01-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Can I just add, CL people who insist their used stuff is worth more than I can buy it for new! I don't care what you paid for it. And I don't care what the Amazon price is right now. If I can find it new and delivered to my front door for less than your asking price, then you bet I'm going to ask you to lower your price. If you don't want to that's fine, but you really don't need to argue with me about it. Just say no.

Catherine

firemama
01-24-2011, 11:52 PM
Adults who chew with their mouths open. Eeewwwww!

Adults who lick their fingers and make that sucking noise (like when eating ribs). Double eeeewwwww!

People who don't know how to merge. It's like a zipper people! It gets jammed if you go out of order. I'm sure a majority of traffic jams happen because of this.

People who don't close the lid before flushing. Ewwww. Doesn't anyone remember the video from science class when it magnified the spray that comes out of the toilet when you flush, and it lands on your toothbrush?! Hello!!

People with annoying yappy barking dogs who let them out on their balcony/back door so the whole neighborhood can hear their annoying yappy barking dog, so their annoying yappy barking dog can wake up my DD who I just put down for a nap. You are the reason the neighbors moved because you scared their LO. So you are the reason the new neighbors moved in, WITH TWO MORE ANNOYING YAPPY BARKING DOGS. Uggggghhhhhh.

People who talk while you are trying to watch a movie. (at home).

People who mispronounce words.

Aaaahhh. Big sigh. That felt good!

goldenpig
01-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Here's a really petty one. DH has never, as far as I know, ever clipped our children's nails. He just makes comments like "DS just scratched me. Wow his nails are sharp." If anything ever happened to me, I can just picture the kids running around with 10 inch long fingernails and toenails.

AnnieW625
01-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Why my school district can't have one site to pick up school of choice applications. I have to go to each school separately, and then drop it off there. Annoying.

Also, it really shouldn't be called School of Choice when it's going to be a lottery picking where my child can go to school. Ugh.

AnnieW625
01-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Why my school district can't have one site to pick up school of choice applications. I have to go to each school separately (ANNOYING!), and then drop it off at each school (which I do get).

Also, it really shouldn't be called School of Choice when it's going to be a lottery picking where my child can go to school. Ugh.

AnnieW625
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
duplicate post

HonoluluMom
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe someone posted this already - people who rush into the elevator before letting anyone out.

golightly1118
01-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Speaking of elevator annoyances...I hate, hate, HATE when the person at the back of the line to get on an elevator shoves to the front. What's really bad is when it's a mom with a stroller, who proceeds to use the stroller like a battering ram. Geez, I have a stroller too, but unlike you, I learned the concept of waiting in line in kindergarten!

LarsMal
01-25-2011, 05:22 PM
People not clearing snow off their cars, c'mon don't be so lazy!

I have a VERY long list of pet peeves, and this is definitely one of them!

I'll just share a few:

- People who drive under the speed limit on the only road to/from my neighborhood. I understand it's a two-lane road, and little curvy, so maybe the speed limit or slightly under is okay for someone new to the road...but FIFTEEN miles under the speed limit?! :banghead: It happens all.the.time.

- Drivers who turn in front of you, causing you to slam on your brakes...when there is NO ONE behind you.

- People who don't have any manners. If I hold the door open for you, a little thank-you would be nice. Even a smile or nod would do.

- When you are walking in the mall or on a crowded sidewalk and the person/people in front of you just stop in the middle of the crowd, instead of moving to the side. This is actually one of DH's, but ever since he pointed it out to me it drives me nuts!

- People who constantly check their phone or text while you are trying to have a conversation with them.