PDA

View Full Version : Couple of things on my mind...

fortato
01-23-2011, 11:45 PM
1: Witches of Eastwick is on. I love that movie.... I forgot how much I loved that movie.
2: while I am watching Witches- a commercial came on for BeYaz- the birth control pill.
Do they keep changing the name of it so that people will think it's some new miracle pill? It's still as questionable as it was when it was Yasmin, Yaz and now Beyaz....

3: I love you people on this board.

AshleyAnn
01-24-2011, 12:10 AM
I took yasmin when it was new. I don't care how you spell it I'd still rather be pregnant than be on yasmin.

I also love these people. I must I'm a processed 'food' eater and I still hang out here. :) But then I like a good penis conversation.

larig
01-24-2011, 12:15 AM
DH heard the commercial tonight. They say it so it almost sounds like B-S. He made some crack about that being an unfortunate choice.

3. You rock.

Momof3Labs
01-24-2011, 12:17 AM
2: while I am watching Witches- a commercial came on for BeYaz- the birth control pill.
Do they keep changing the name of it so that people will think it's some new miracle pill? It's still as questionable as it was when it was Yasmin, Yaz and now Beyaz....

And why does someone on birth control care if they are taking folic acid to reduce the chance of birth defects?? I'm waiting to see this commercial again to confirm that I really heard them say that in the fast-talk part.

AshleyAnn
01-24-2011, 12:20 AM
I had an OBGYN who insisted I needed to take folic acid while on the pill just in case. She felt the benefits were enough that it made sense just in case of a slip up.

dowlinal
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
And why does someone on birth control care if they are taking folic acid to reduce the chance of birth defects?? I'm waiting to see this commercial again to confirm that I really heard them say that in the fast-talk part.

I was a bit confused by that too.

Uno-Mom
01-24-2011, 12:22 AM
This is totally off - topic, but is there any drawback to taking folic acid?

AshleyAnn
01-24-2011, 12:31 AM
This is totally off - topic, but is there any drawback to taking folic acid?

That was my OBGYN's point of view. There were no drawbacks only positives if there were an accident and its so easy to get. I take a multivitamin with 400mg and a seperate 400mg pill of just folic acid. I think the recs are now 1200mg when TTC but I'm not sure.

RunnerDuck
01-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Birth control pills can interfere with your absorption of b vitamins, of which folic acid is one... the low b vitamin issue can be why some women have depression on BCPs.

Then of course if your BCPs fails and you're not taking extra folic acid and your normal levels are low from the BCP it's a double whammy.

My son is a Yasmin baby. :D

He turned out normal, luckily.

BeYaz sounds like beyotch to me... and that's what BCPs tend to make me, a raging beyotch...

eta - no negatives to excess b vitamins. You will pee out any extra.

Uno-Mom
01-24-2011, 12:49 AM
So why don't all women's multi vitamins have the same folic acid dose as pre-natals? That seems dumb.

I'm about to go back pill-wards. Yay, no more condoms!!! (Oops, I just made a liar out of myself based on what I said on the thread I just started :) ) Guess I'll just stick with the pre-natals I've been on since TTC.

randomkid
01-24-2011, 12:56 AM
Not sure why anyone would opt to take that BCP. This is directly off their website "Beyaz is associated with increased risks of several serious side effects, including blood clots, stroke, and heart attack. Women, especially those 35 and over, are strongly advised not to smoke because it increases these risks. In addition, Beyaz contains drospirenone, a different kind of hormone that for some may increase potassium too much."

RunnerDuck
01-24-2011, 11:03 AM
The progestin component in Yasmin etc is derived from a medicine called spironalactone which is a potassium sparing diuretic (meaning it makes you pee, but it doesn't make you pee potassium) used for high blood pressure. It also has the odd side effect of lowering testosterone. Women with PCOS who have too much testosterone (usually showing up as excess body hair or loss of head hair) will take spiro to help with those symptoms. In theory the Yasmin type BCPs are ideal for women with PCOS as they will supposedly better control the symptoms of PCOS - regular BCPs will to an extent, too, but they are all different - some BCPs help, some will make things worse. Yasmin etc is supposed to be a "good" one for PCOS.

When I was taking regular old Yasmin, I read somewhere it was like taking 25mg a day of spiro - which is actually a VERY low dose - women will commonly take 100-200mg of it to help with the hair issues.

For an otherwise HEALTHY person, the risk of building up too much postassium is not that great, on spiro - so on Yasmin the risks are even lower, since the dose is so low. But there is still a slightly increased risk esp. if you overeat foods rich in potassium but lets face it - which isn't really something people tend to do. But they still have to warn you about it.

Why a NORMAL (non-PCOS) woman would pick one of those BCPS, I don't know - unless it's the power of advertising. They really push the "won't make you gain weight" angle of those pills which is of course going to appeal to women. The mild diuretic effect i think is what contributes to that.

All BCPs carry a risk of blood clots, stroke, etc (as does pregnancy - it's the hormones...) ... I can't really figure out if or why yasmin etc is being targeted as causing more of these issues. It could be because due to advertising more people are taking it and you're seeing more side effects just because of numbers. It could be that the PCOS population is already more prone to those issues and they are the ones taking these BCPs. I really don't know.

I'm not super worried about the stroke risk... but I bled a lot on Yasmin and it made me SUPER moody. And I got pregnant. (A lot of women with PCOS seem to get pregnant on Yasmin... weirdly enough...)

I'm not entirely convinced these pills are bad news, but I'm not convinced they're great news either, if that makes sense. There's older, better known, possibly safer options out there - just nor cleverly marketed any more. Ortho-cyclen seems to work best for me so that's the one I will use if I ever go back on BCPs.

There are women who do very well on Yasmin etc - I guess it's good to have it out there as a choice - but as much as it is advertised, you'd think it was THE best option esp. for young women, and I don't think it is. It's just heavily marketed.

ellies mom
01-24-2011, 11:40 AM
So why don't all women's multi vitamins have the same folic acid dose as pre-natals? That seems dumb.

I'm about to go back pill-wards. Yay, no more condoms!!! (Oops, I just made a liar out of myself based on what I said on the thread I just started :) ) Guess I'll just stick with the pre-natals I've been on since TTC.

One reason you don't see increased doses of folic acid in things like bread and multi-vitamins is that there is a type of anemia that can be masked by increased levels of folic acid. So there is a balancing line between putting enough folic acid in things to help prevent pregnancy problems and putting in too much folic acid and masking a pretty serious problem in usually older adults.

BabyBearsMom
01-24-2011, 12:50 PM

My OB recommends taking it even when you aren't TTC if you plan to have more children. So I started a prenatal when I wanted to get pg with DD and am still taking it even though we aren't technically TTC now but plan to TTC in the future. She says I should keep taking it until I am done having kids.

Not sure why anyone would opt to take that BCP. This is directly off their website "Beyaz is associated with increased risks of several serious side effects, including blood clots, stroke, and heart attack. Women, especially those 35 and over, are strongly advised not to smoke because it increases these risks. In addition, Beyaz contains drospirenone, a different kind of hormone that for some may increase potassium too much."

Other than the drospirenone, that warning is very similar to the warning on most other birth control pills, especially the part about smoking. http://www.womens-health.co.uk/nicotine-and-birth-control-pills.html
Most medications have possible side effects and many of them are severe. I tend to be very sensitive to medication, so I have to be hyper aware of this.

MaiseyDog
01-24-2011, 01:18 PM
The progestin component in Yasmin etc is derived from a medicine called spironalactone which is a potassium sparing diuretic (meaning it makes you pee, but it doesn't make you pee potassium) used for high blood pressure. It also has the odd side effect of lowering testosterone. Women with PCOS who have too much testosterone (usually showing up as excess body hair or loss of head hair) will take spiro to help with those symptoms. In theory the Yasmin type BCPs are ideal for women with PCOS as they will supposedly better control the symptoms of PCOS - regular BCPs will to an extent, too, but they are all different - some BCPs help, some will make things worse. Yasmin etc is supposed to be a "good" one for PCOS.

When I was taking regular old Yasmin, I read somewhere it was like taking 25mg a day of spiro - which is actually a VERY low dose - women will commonly take 100-200mg of it to help with the hair issues.

For an otherwise HEALTHY person, the risk of building up too much postassium is not that great, on spiro - so on Yasmin the risks are even lower, since the dose is so low. But there is still a slightly increased risk esp. if you overeat foods rich in potassium but lets face it - which isn't really something people tend to do. But they still have to warn you about it.

Why a NORMAL (non-PCOS) woman would pick one of those BCPS, I don't know - unless it's the power of advertising. They really push the "won't make you gain weight" angle of those pills which is of course going to appeal to women. The mild diuretic effect i think is what contributes to that.

All BCPs carry a risk of blood clots, stroke, etc (as does pregnancy - it's the hormones...) ... I can't really figure out if or why yasmin etc is being targeted as causing more of these issues. It could be because due to advertising more people are taking it and you're seeing more side effects just because of numbers. It could be that the PCOS population is already more prone to those issues and they are the ones taking these BCPs. I really don't know.

I'm not super worried about the stroke risk... but I bled a lot on Yasmin and it made me SUPER moody. And I got pregnant. (A lot of women with PCOS seem to get pregnant on Yasmin... weirdly enough...)

I'm not entirely convinced these pills are bad news, but I'm not convinced they're great news either, if that makes sense. There's older, better known, possibly safer options out there - just nor cleverly marketed any more. Ortho-cyclen seems to work best for me so that's the one I will use if I ever go back on BCPs.

There are women who do very well on Yasmin etc - I guess it's good to have it out there as a choice - but as much as it is advertised, you'd think it was THE best option esp. for young women, and I don't think it is. It's just heavily marketed.

Very well said. I was about to type out an explanation, but then got to your response and realized you said it all.

mommylamb
01-24-2011, 01:27 PM
B
BeYaz sounds like beyotch to me... and that's what BCPs tend to make me, a raging beyotch...

LOL, it does sound like beyotch!

fortato
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I have this image that Beyaz is like that "Annuale" that SNL parodied not too long ago. It's the pill that causes you to have a period once a year.... and when it comes, you'd better buy a hat and hold the F- on to it.

NancyJ_redo
01-24-2011, 01:44 PM
The progestin component in Yasmin etc is derived from a medicine called spironalactone which is a potassium sparing diuretic (meaning it makes you pee, but it doesn't make you pee potassium) used for high blood pressure.

Very interesting, thanks for the info. I actually take spironalactone for acne and it works quite well, it just makes me a little dizzy at times.

And fortato and corie, I love you guys. You crack me up and bring levity and humor to some otherwise boring days! :hug:

fortato
01-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Very interesting, thanks for the info. I actually take spironalactone for acne and it works quite well, it just makes me a little dizzy at times.

And fortato and corie, I love you guys. You crack me up and bring levity and humor to some otherwise boring days! :hug:

Awww... thank you!!!!

DrSally
01-24-2011, 09:51 PM
It's (regular Yasmin) supposed to be good for perimenopause sx b/c it's more estrogenic. I developed some acne in the past year (maybe perimenopause related, who knows), and it seems to help with that. It's also the only pill I've taken that doesn't make me gain weight and actually allows me to lose weight if if I try. It did make me lose copious amounts of hair the first 4 or so months, which was ok b/c I have super thick hair.

ETA: I thought it was weird too that their putting folate in BC.

Puddy73
01-24-2011, 09:58 PM
I have this image that Beyaz is like that "Annuale" that SNL parodied not too long ago. It's the pill that causes you to have a period once a year.... and when it comes, you'd better buy a hat and hold the F- on to it.

That was a frickin hilarious commercial! Tina Fey rocks.

kijip
01-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Well, clearly a rose by another name ceases to be a rose at all, right?

I don't know what they are thinking. Renaming stuff does not seem to be limited to bc methods either.