PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with left over chicken for dinner

crl
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I have some left over chicken from roasting a whole chicken last Friday. I'd like to use it for dinner. I already made chicken salad for our lunches. And ds is allergic to milk so no dairy. What should I do with it?

Thanks for any ideas!
Catherine

wendibird22
01-24-2011, 12:56 PM
Chicken tacos/burritos. We mix chicken with Goya rice, taco seasoning and load it with other toppings in taco/burrito shells. Or do quesadillas (use dairy-free cheese).

Mix is with BBQ and do a pulled chicken sandwich.

MommytoEliana
01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Soup! There are lots of great soup recipes with leftover chicken.

Or pizza. Use Pioneer Woman's basic pizza dough recipe, then either mix the chicken with BBQ sauce and use that with cheese, or do pesto and chicken, or an alfredo sauce with chicken (if your DD can handle that kind of dairy--is it just straight milk she's allergic to?)...yum!

ETA: Here's a soup recipe I've used with leftover chicken. Just skip the first browning step: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Cream-Cheese-Chicken-Soup Not sure if it will work with your DD's dairy allergy, though.

crl
01-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas! Ds is actually allergic to milk so no milk based cheese or hidden dairy of any kind.

I am trying to avoid going to the store. I'm pretty sure I've got BBQ sauce though so BBQ sandwiches should work. Maybe a soup recipe, would have to look and see if I have chicken broth in the freezer. . . . I definitely have pasta and rice and onions and carrots so if I have broth I could probably make a soup recipe work.

Catherine

crl
01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Just checked and I have 4 cups of frozen chicken broth. Maybe I'll search for some soup recipes.

Catherine

crl
01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Okay, I am contemplating the soup possibility. If I do check noodle soup, my noodle choices are whole wheat penne, whole wheat fettuccini, or plain elbows (like for Mac and cheese). Would one of those work?

Thanks,
Catherine

boolady
01-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I think any of them would work...I would break up the longer noodles if I used them. This may be unusual, but I normally boil the noodles separately so they don't simmer in the soup for a long time and get mushy. I usually cook the pasta, then add it into the soup a few minutes before serving.

marie
01-24-2011, 09:46 PM
a little late for tonight's dinner, but i often make chicken pot pie with leftover chicken. let me know if you'd like the dairy-free details!

kijip
01-24-2011, 09:49 PM
Chicken curry? You can leave the dairy out from most curry sauces with an ok result.

crl
01-24-2011, 09:57 PM
Chicken curry? You can leave the dairy out from most curry sauces with an ok result.

Love curry. dS not so much sadly. But coconut milk makes a good milk sub. for some curry dishes.

I let ds choose between chicken noodle soup and pasta with marina sauce with chicken added. He chose pasta? Not very creative, but easy enough for me.

Thanks everyone! I have chicken in the freezer too so I'll keep these ideas in mind!

Catherine

kijip
01-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Love curry. dS not so much sadly. But coconut milk makes a good milk sub. for some curry dishes.

I let ds choose between chicken noodle soup and pasta with marina sauce with chicken added. He chose pasta? Not very creative, but easy enough for me.

Thanks everyone! I have chicken in the freezer too so I'll keep these ideas in mind!

Catherine

We do a pretty mild, sweet curry for the kids that seems to please. If you want the recipe for future reference, I will dig it up. You can def. use coconut milk instead of milk.

crl
01-25-2011, 01:45 AM
a little late for tonight's dinner, but i often make chicken pot pie with leftover chicken. let me know if you'd like the dairy-free details!

We do a pretty mild, sweet curry for the kids that seems to please. If you want the recipe for future reference, I will dig it up. You can def. use coconut milk instead of milk.

Recipes, please? When you have time?

Thank you!
Catherine

kijip
01-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Here you go:

Curry sauce (which can be used with any meat or veggie you like)

2 tablespoon olive oil
4-5 sliced or crushed garlic cloves

heat oil and garlic in a large skillet then add a little flour (a few table spoons) and mix till the flour is absorbed with the oil.

then add 2 cups broth (I use chicken broth) and let simmer/reduce

Then add 4 tablespoons chutney (I use sweet mango chutney) and 2 tablespoons curry powder. Reduce a little more and add in 1 cup dairy (milk, half and half or plain yogurt all work well). Sauce will be golden in color and slightly thick at this point.

Add in the cooked veggies and/or meat of your choice (I use carrot, peppers, potatoes and onions a lot) and let simmer.

Make rice and serve with curry.

Add more sweet chutney to make it a bit sweeter. And you can add raisins!

crl
01-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Yum! DS is also allergic to mango (and apples and strawberries). There's got to be a substitute for mango curry though, right?

Thank you!
Catherine

kijip
01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Yum! DS is also allergic to mango (and apples and strawberries). There's got to be a substitute for mango curry though, right?

Thank you!
Catherine

You can use any kind of chutney in place of the sweet mango, just get a mild, sweet one and not the hot and spicy kind if you are aiming for mild.

crl
01-26-2011, 01:41 AM
You can use any kind of chutney in place of the sweet mango, just get a mild, sweet one and not the hot and spicy kind if you are aiming for mild.

Thanks!
Catherine