PDA

View Full Version : What to do? My 9 week old only sleeps during the day.

diegosmom
01-24-2011, 04:34 PM
My 9 week old was sleeping fine until about a week ago. For some reason he has started to wake up in the middle of the night (between 1am and 3am) and then won't go back to sleep for HOURS!... He seems to be fussy, a bit gassy, doesn't want a pacifier (which I hate using anyways), doesn't want to nurse (at least not for any real time). We are slowly reaching our limits. Saturday I was up until 7am before he would go to sleep and then of course slept most of the day. I tried to keep him awake during the day more but the same thing happened the next night.

I've tried rocking him, burping him, pumping his little legs to try and get him to pass gas, walking with him, putting him in the bouncer, the swing, holdling him, letting him cry........What do we try next?

TwoBees
01-25-2011, 11:35 AM
Have you tried putting him to sleep on his stomach (on your chest while you lie down, if you are not comfortable putting him on his stomach in his crib). DD went through a phase of this, and still does occasionally. The only way she would sleep was on her stomach on DH's chest. It helped with the gas. Also, could he be constipated? That's one of the main reasons DD gets gassy. If he is eating solids, you could try prunes.

Hope you get some relief soon! :hug:

BabyBearsMom
01-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Do you keep the house bright and loud during the day? When DD tried to pull that, I made sure that all the lights were on, the shades were open, the tv was on etc during the day, and then as it got closer to night, I would turn down the noises and turn on fewer lights. It took a few days for her to adjust but it eventually evened out.

Lupe
01-31-2011, 02:03 PM
I have not had my baby yet (37 weeks, soon!), but we recently got this book that seems like a wonderful Sleep book:

http://www.amazon.com/90-Minute-Baby-Sleep-Program-Natural/dp/0761143114

My DH is a sleep researcher, so this came from Polly (the author)with a very kind written note. I've heard wonders about her "NAPS" program and the book makes lots of sense, has all the science that is known about baby sleep in it and it is easy read. Haven't tried it yet, but for less than 10 bucks it may be worth it to give it a try!!
good luck