PDA

View Full Version : Annoyed with my FB friends

AshleyAnn
01-25-2011, 12:41 AM
I've reconnected with a lot of my old high school friends thru facebook and I'm this * * close the weeding out a lot of those that have become nothing but complainers. We all graduated together within the past 10 years and so many never did anything with thier lives...still living at home, working fast food, two babies with different daddies, ect and all they use facebook for is a place to whine about how much they hate thier lives and wish they had more money blah bab blah. But not a one of them is doing anything about it! We live in a wonderfully booming area with 2 amazing technical colleges which offer day, evening, night, weekend online, and telecommuting class AND you can attend for FREE if you fill out a FAFSA. Oh and you can ride the city buses for free with a student ID.

Ok I know college is hard on top of everything else...I'm doing it and have been for a long time. I take evening courses, (I was and plan return to) WOHM FT, have a 1 year old and another on the way, and a husband in the Army who's gone a lot but somehow I still am managing to get my butt into classes to better my life. It just doesn't seem like they can make it any easier for these people unless we just hand them a degree.

It bugs me because they like to comment on my FB posts about things like having my new tires put on my car that DH and I are "lucky" to be able to afford tires and how they need new tires but are too poor. I'm not 'lucky' I can afford tires - I worked hard in college, got a good job and saved for them.

kijip
01-25-2011, 12:51 AM
There is not enough time in the day to deal with negative people like that. You can hide people on your FB or just unfriend them and be done with it.

bigpassport
01-25-2011, 01:16 AM
There is not enough time in the day to deal with negative people like that. You can hide people on your FB or just unfriend them and be done with it.

:yeahthat: If they are bringing you down (or trying to pull you down!) just unfriend them or block them. Life's too short and too fun.

DebbieJ
01-25-2011, 01:24 AM

:yeahthat: I've done it to several people.

brgnmom
01-25-2011, 04:28 AM
I've reconnected with a lot of my old high school friends thru facebook and I'm this * * close the weeding out a lot of those that have become nothing but complainers.

I can relate to reconnecting with HS friends on FB. I'd filter out their negative posts/comments somehow as the prior posters have suggested. I've had FB for a year or two now, and I'm still figuring out the different settings, etc. I haven't unfriended anyone on my contact list, but I came quite close to this point. And, well, I'm still wondering if I should unfriend some of them, b/c a few of them aren't close to me at all anymore and I'd feel uncomfortable having them even know private basic details about my life (that I'm married, have kids now, etc). it's strange when people (who I haven't seen in years) will request me to be their FB friend, and once I've accepted a few of them as FB friends, there's a static silence.

TwinFoxes
01-25-2011, 07:38 AM
I would just ignore them. For a lot of people this is the age where they realize they don't like their place in life, and buckle down and go back to school or put their degree to work or whatever. I know several people who are doing great after slacking off in their mid 20s. They got sick of not being able to pay for tires.

It's worse when HS is a lot further away than 10 years and people are still complaining! The one person I have on ignore is a serial complainer/drama queen.

weech
01-25-2011, 09:29 AM
I'm in a similar situation with friends from HS that never (or at least haven't yet) made anything of themselves. It seems to work out well for me to friend them and then hide them from my feed if they get annoying. I like being able to check their profiles or pictures every so often, but on my own terms.

MomToOne
01-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I've hidden most of my high school friends on facebook. Not for the reason you were talking about per se, just because I have nothing in common with them anymore and I'm not particularly interested in the day to day minutia of their lives.

wellyes
01-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I've blocked posts from people like that. But it's not always easy to quell the temptation to reply to their updates with "yes, it really must suck to be you".

belovedgandp
01-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Yup, I get it. I hide them; except my in-laws that I keep seeing just for the entertainment value and not wanting to get caught if they did say something important.

artvandalay
01-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Hide them or block them if you really want nothing more to do with them. They don't have the right to hijack your posts.

karstmama
01-25-2011, 10:56 AM
another thought - be relentlessly sunny and cheerful about education and your job and how glad you are that you stuck with college and how easy it is to get into community college, etc. maybe they'll learn something, maybe they'll block *you*, either way it's all good. :D

hellokitty
01-25-2011, 01:26 PM
I get what you mean. I know ppl like that too, and either don't friend them at all to begin with or just hide/block them. It's just not worth the time and effort to get annoyed by ppl like this.