PDA

View Full Version : Any Seaband wearers? Question.

BabbyO
01-25-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm experiencing a lot of nausea with this pg and trying to conceal it at work in anyway possible.

I've been drinking lots of peppermint tea, sucking on preggie pops, trying to eat every 2 hours or so, and wearing sea bands (its winter so long sleeves cover them).

I've noticed that when I wear the sea bands for a full day, as the day progresses they get uncomfortable. The pressure point starts hurting. Does this mean they're placed wrong? I measure the location exactly as described everytime I put them on.

Any thoughts?

AshleyAnn
01-25-2011, 03:50 PM
I wore them with DD and had the same problem. I had to take them off occasionally and actually had bruise marks if I slept in them.

BabbyO
01-25-2011, 04:03 PM
I wore them with DD and had the same problem. I had to take them off occasionally and actually had bruise marks if I slept in them.

Good, to know...I guess. I was concerned that I wasn't positioning them correctly. I've found some days I don't notice them at all, while others I feel like someone is standing on a marble on my wrist. I don't wear them to bed...I actually try to take them off for the entire evening.

Fairy
01-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Yes, it's just like that, and they also swell your hands after a while. Just grin and bear it. Try green tea if you can, it's low in caffeine, and ginger ale. Even ginger, itslef, like from a sushi bar. Ginger is good for this stuff.

BabbyO
01-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Fairy, thanks for the suggestions.

I've been doing peppermint tea...still no caffeine but it seems to settle my stomach a bit more. Ginger ale makes me gag when I feel good...so I just can't make myself drink it. I have, however, looked for ginger candy and ginger altoids (mentioned in other posts) but can't seem to find them anywhere. I'm thinking of just getting a knob of ginger and seeing what a tiny slice will do for me.

Fairy
01-25-2011, 05:33 PM
Can you handle the ginger from a sushi bar? I know they'll sell you just a heap of ginger. Now, this is different from a fresh knob from the produce section, as it's, I dunno, pickled, maybe, is the correct term? I suppose you could gnaw on a knob, but probably won't be fun.

For the Altoids, I found them on Amazon for you, but damn if they're not frakkin' expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ginger+altoids.

I tried altoids.com (and that's one strange site), but their shop section sends you right to Amazon.

If the peppermint tea is working for you, stick with it.

BabbyO
01-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Can you handle the ginger from a sushi bar? I know they'll sell you just a heap of ginger. Now, this is different from a fresh knob from the produce section, as it's, I dunno, pickled, maybe, is the correct term? I suppose you could gnaw on a knob, but probably won't be fun.

For the Altoids, I found them on Amazon for you, but damn if they're not frakkin' expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ginger+altoids.

I tried altoids.com (and that's one strange site), but their shop section sends you right to Amazon.

If the peppermint tea is working for you, stick with it.

I *normally* can handle ginger from a sushi bar...but there just aren't many around here, so the grocery store is much closer. We add ginger to several dishes we make, so I was thinking I'd try that to start with. I probably could pickle my own....

The tea helps some...just like everything else so far...it helps a little or for a little while (less than an hour). But I guess every minute of relief is worth it!

Hmmm....don't like the sound of frakkin expensive altoids...'specially if I don't KNOW they'll work, but I appreciate knowing where you got them. I suspect I have at least 6-8 more weeks of this! (BTW...I love that you used "frakkin" cause I'm a total BSG geek!)

Indianamom2
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I had the same experience with the Seabands....and honestly they didn't help me much. In fact, nothing really helped until I finally got a Rx for Zofran. I was getting worse, not better.

As an alternative to ginger and peppermint, some people have good luck with sour lemon drops (you can usually find them in Walgreens, Walmart candy aisle, etc...). They're cheap and sometimes they help.

Good luck because I know it stinks.:hug:

fedoragirl
01-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Go to any Asian markets near you. There are tons of candied ginger options. Also, you can buy non-caffeinated ginger tea. I boil a slice of ginger in water, and prepare my tea and drink it. Seabands helped me a little so I will wear them when the nausea gets worse. It just started for me, so I don't want to use all my weapons yet. ;)
All the best! This is the worst part of being pregnant, for me.

BabbyO
01-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone and God bless my husband...he made some calls for me and I ended up at the local fresh & green/organic market last night. I got ginger chews, crystalized ginger and ginger candy. The owner also recommended red raspberry leaf tea, which is supposed to be good for the overall health of the female reproductive system. Not sure about the tea yet, but the ginger has been working very well, so far!

boltfam
01-28-2011, 03:10 PM
Good to know the ginger works in case I ever need something for nausea. I used sea bands, too and had a similar experience. Here's hoping for an end to the nausea for you!