PDA

View Full Version : Extremely severe, painful menstrual cramps

tny915
01-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Pain this bad happens every few months for me. I'm sitting here at work in pain and nauseous, waiting for the 3 Advil I took an hour ago to fully kick in. Every time I get these cramps, I debate going back on the Pill. But then the pain goes away and I'm fine for another couple months so I don't.

Those of you who have these, how do you handle it all?

Fairy
01-25-2011, 05:47 PM
I have never had serious issues with my periods. It jsut doesn't faze me. However, are they also heavy for you? Have your yearly paps come back completely normal? No atypical cells? Could you ahve endometriosis?

minnie-zb
01-25-2011, 05:48 PM
You need to try Aleve. It is a muscle relaxant and works really well for cramps.

Melaine
01-25-2011, 05:58 PM
I really like those instant heat pads for that.

Indianamom2
01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Aleve is what the hospital gave me for any cramping after having Ds.

But honestly, if you're having that much trouble, I'd get checked out by your OBGYN. It could be something like Endometriosis or Uterine Fibroids. Both are almost always benign, but they can cause a lot of pain and period problems.

Toba
01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I've had period problems forever. About two years ago, I had exploratory surgery (I had a pretty large cyst that he thought was the source of my pain) and that turned into ovarian drilling (where they remove (pop) many cysts). That helped for awhile. Again now I'm gettimg severe pain but only have a few small cysts (that shouldn't be the cause of the pain). Now I'm diagnosed with PMDD (the Satan version of PMS) and get Percocet during my period and sometimes during the ovulation time. It sucks.

Have you talked to your gyno about these? Have they done an ultrasound? I would definitely go and get some answers. You might have a cyst ... yeah, it's a minor surgery (laproscopic) but it's very minimal recovery time and so worth the loss of monthly pain.

tny915
01-25-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm a couple years overdue for my annual and am finally scheduled to see my OBGYN in March. But everything's always checked out normal. Shortly after college, my OBGYN at the time or her NP told me I had ovarian cysts that were probably causing the pain and that nothing could be done. But I don't recall ever having an ultrasound done to diagnose this. They advised the Pill, and all is good as long as I'm on it, but now that I'm not, here's what I'm dealing with.

cmo
01-25-2011, 07:52 PM
I'm fuzzy on the details as to why this works, but for me it does: a day or two before I think my period is due, I take two Advils a few times per day. Obviously, it helps if your cycles are somewhat regular! Even if they're not, pop a couple at the first twinge. It helps to reduce the amount of XX (acid? hormone? some other fluid? this is the part I'm fuzzy on) that can cause cramps. Once the full amount of XX is out and in your system, it's too late, all you can do is manage the symptoms (cramps).

Kira's Mommy
01-25-2011, 08:51 PM
My doctor also recommends to start taking Aleve as soon as you think you're about to get your period and don't wait for the cramps to start. It does help a little bit.

:hug: to you. I have the worst periods too.

geochick
01-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Mine used to be that bad, then I found the Mirena IUD! Love that thing. I haven't had a bad cramp since getting it.

cheri
01-25-2011, 08:58 PM
This is going to sound weird, but when I switched to a Diva Cup instead of tampons, my cramps became much less severe. I've read that the tampons wick more and tend to make things drier than they need to be. I'm not sure what's going on, but after I noticed a difference, I did some reading, and other people have reported the same thing.

JenaW
01-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I too had significant reduction in cramps AND flow a few months after switching to the diva (though my flow is now extremely heavy the first day (as in dumping the diva every 2 hours or it will overflow) then next to nothing after that.

I like Alleve too. It worked WAY better than anything else I have ever tried. I used to take 2 in the am the first day as soon as the bleeding (or cramping) started, one in the PM if I needed it, and usually one the next day. If you are using ibuprofen at the anti-inflamm doses (600-800mg) you really need to start it BEFORE the cramping begins for it to be most effective, and take it around the clock the first 24-48 hours (600mg every 6 hours or 800mg every 8 - no more than 2400mg total in a 24 hour period). And PLEASE make sure to take it with food, otherwise you run a significant risk of developing an ulcer.

Also, as an OBGYN PA myself, I would certainly be remiss if I also did not recommend a visit to your GYN provider. Though many are quick to just put you on OCPs without really searching for a cause first.

GL!

Melaine
01-26-2011, 09:30 AM
It really bums me out that the Diva has not solved my cramping, but I have heard that from so many others!

lizzywednesday
01-26-2011, 11:13 AM
I have a similar cycle even on the pill - incapacitating cramps once every few months & I reported this to my GYN (PA) who noted it but didn't have any tips.

I took Evening Primrose Oil gelcaps & that seemed to help, but if you're TTC, don't take it.

For pain, Aleve (naproxen) made me dizzy while menstruating, so I'd pop a couple ibuprofen with half a mug of strong, black, regular coffee for the "enhancement" effect of the caffeine.

Fairy
01-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I'm a couple years overdue for my annual and am finally scheduled to see my OBGYN in March. But everything's always checked out normal. Shortly after college, my OBGYN at the time or her NP told me I had ovarian cysts that were probably causing the pain and that nothing could be done. But I don't recall ever having an ultrasound done to diagnose this. They advised the Pill, and all is good as long as I'm on it, but now that I'm not, here's what I'm dealing with.

It sounds to me like your cysts may be the problem here. They can really make an impact. If you didn't have a u/s, tho, then how did they confirm this diagnosis? I really question any MD who is going to empirically diagnose if there are tools available to do so. You sound incpacitated, and you're clearly suffering. If in March your OB says it must be XYZ but doesn't confirm (e.g., you have cysts that we see on a u/s), then I would go seek out a doctor that will pinpoint your problem. Why go on BCP on a hunch? Please go get looked at and insist on a diagnosis that is more than a hunch.

tny915
01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. After the Advil kicked in yesterday, I was much better, just in time to take off and start shuttling the kids around. Then Aleve helped me through the rest of the night. I've gotten the advice in the past about taking Advil before the cramps start, but I hate popping pills when I feel fine. Right now, it's been over 12 hours since the Aleve, and I guess I should take another so I don't have another episode like yesterday. But I feel 100% fine so it always leads me to wait and see if the pain's passed entirely for the month.

I'm definitely having a talk with my OBGYN to rule out any other causes. I got the cyst diagnosis many doctors ago, though IIRC no tests were done beyond general internal exams. My current doctor, who I absolutely love, just took my word for it with the cysts when I started seeing her, and since I was on the Pill and had minimal pain, the topic never came up again.

Too squeamish to try the Diva, but I'm always intrigued when Diva threads come up, so maybe someday.

Thanks again!