PDA

View Full Version : Avocado ideas?

indigo99
01-25-2011, 06:53 PM
So what do you do with one of those? I've never eaten them, but we have one needing eaten. DS and I don't like it just sliced up, but surely ppl do other things with them. Hmm... should this be in the food forum?

crl
01-25-2011, 06:59 PM
Sliced on hamburgers
Mashed with lime juice and eat with chips
In salad

Catherine

brittone2
01-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Shake soy sauce in the hole after you cut it in half. The combo of the two is kinda sushi esque tasting. I like it with a little hot sauce in the cavity too.

Spread on toast with cream cheese, salt and pepper.

THrow in a smoothie. Really good in a strawberry smoothie. Disappears for the most part but just makes it nice and thick.

Slice/cube and put in a quesadilla

twowhat?
01-25-2011, 07:02 PM
Diced, on top of Campbell's tomato soup. With a sprinkle of feta cheese or a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt if you have any on hand and a good grind of black pepper.

Sweetum
01-25-2011, 07:10 PM
mash it up and eat/feed in oatmeal. Smoothie with banana is good too! Of course, you can always make guacamole.

crayonblue
01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Avocado and tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread with mayo and a little salt. I ate this sandwich almost every single day growing up and if I had a last meal, this would be it.

brittone2
01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Avocado and tomato sandwich on whole wheat bread with mayo and a little salt. I ate this sandwich almost every single day growing up and if I had a last meal, this would be it.

I lived on this while pg with DD. I have no idea why, but my daily sandwich that summer was tomato, avocado, salt/pepper, sometimes mayo. Extra delectable to my pregnancy hormones at the time.

JoyNChrist
01-25-2011, 07:15 PM
I do a lot of avocado, black bean, and cheese quesadillas with sour cream on top.

pinkmomagain
01-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Put it in a BLT sandwich.

indigo99
01-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Ha. Who knew you could do so much with it! - although most of these ideas don't especially sound appetizing to me. I mostly want to hide the taste of it since I don't like it, but I know that it's healthy and didn't want to toss it out.

Adding it to DS's oatmeal is a good idea. I guess I need some smoothie recipes since I never make them.

We are making black bean burritos tomorrow. Is there a way to add it? If so, how much? Do I just cut it up and add it to the beans, meat, salsa mixture?

gatorsmom
01-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Mashed up with cumin and lemon juice to taste. Dunk a tortilla chip in it. cheap, yummy guacamole.

or, if you need your guac to do more, pour a little salsa into the guacamole mash. THEN dunk a chip. :D

PAfirsttimemom
01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Diced, on top of Campbell's tomato soup. With a sprinkle of feta cheese or a dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt if you have any on hand and a good grind of black pepper.

Interesting. I have all these ingredients on hand. May be lunch tomorrow!

PAfirsttimemom
01-25-2011, 09:11 PM
Guacamole is usually what I use my avocados for. Mmmm. Now I am hungry.

TwinFoxes
01-25-2011, 09:14 PM

:yeahthat: I don't know if it'd be my last meal, but this is one of my favorites, and I grew up eating them too. Are you from California?

(Avocados are abundant and cheap in California, people have the trees in their back yards, so eating them every day is easy to do.)

i also love turkey, bacon and avocado sandwiches. Or salads with avocado slices (although that won't mask the taste).

The oatmeal and avocado does not sound appealing to me at all though. To each their own. :)

OP, what kind of avocado is it, do you know? I like the Haas ones, which are heartier than the Calvos, which are kind of sweet and less dense. Haas have bumpy dark green skin.

Babymakes3
01-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I made chocolate pudding today with them from a recipe out of Deceptively Delicious. It kinda reminds me of eating chocolate frosting!

MSWR0319
01-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Ha. Who knew you could do so much with it! - although most of these ideas don't especially sound appetizing to me. I mostly want to hide the taste of it since I don't like it, but I know that it's healthy and didn't want to toss it out.

Adding it to DS's oatmeal is a good idea. I guess I need some smoothie recipes since I never make them.

We are making black bean burritos tomorrow. Is there a way to add it? If so, how much? Do I just cut it up and add it to the beans, meat, salsa mixture?

They didn't sound too appetizing to me other, but I'm super picky. I mash it up and smear it on the inside of DS's grilled cheese. I have to hide everything healthy from him or he won't eat it. I have no idea what it tastes like but he eats it!

indigo99
01-25-2011, 09:36 PM
It does have a dark, bumpy skin.

I'm not super picky, but this is just one of those things that I've never eaten and don't feel inclined to "learn" to like. I picked one up at the store because I thought it would be a good thing to get DS eating.

newg
01-25-2011, 09:52 PM
When DD was smaller I would mash a bannana with it.
We usually slice it up and add bacon/lettuce/tomatoe with toasted bread and miracle whip to make a BLTA sandwhich.
We also love to put it on burgers or grilled chicken sandwiches. It's also super yummy in just a reg. ham or turkey sandwich.

DD also likes to eat it cut up into little squares as her veggie.

melonpan
01-26-2011, 06:36 AM
you dont like the taste so you wont like this, but somedays i just slice a "perfect" (in terms of ripeness) one in half, pit.

put any kind of salad dressing you like in the hole where the pit is (just a tsp or so! i prefer simple mustardy olive oil - vinaigrettes) and then dig in with a spoon. finish half then proceed to finish the other half.

heaven.

i also LOVE the tomato/avocado/mayo sandwich. salt and peppered.

but if you want to hide the taste i think your best bet is to mix it in with the salsa youll be using tomorrow!

good luck!

theyre pretty healthy.

crayonblue
01-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Texas! I'm in Maryland now and when I go home my mom always has a big bag of avocados. She gets them for 85 cents at the grocery store and I am so jealous!

:yeahthat: I don't know if it'd be my last meal, but this is one of my favorites, and I grew up eating them too. Are you from California?

(Avocados are abundant and cheap in California, people have the trees in their back yards, so eating them every day is easy to do.)

i also love turkey, bacon and avocado sandwiches. Or salads with avocado slices (although that won't mask the taste).

The oatmeal and avocado does not sound appealing to me at all though. To each their own. :)

OP, what kind of avocado is it, do you know? I like the Haas ones, which are heartier than the Calvos, which are kind of sweet and less dense. Haas have bumpy dark green skin.

BabbyO
01-26-2011, 11:50 AM
I got a totally rocking chocolate avocado pudding recipe a couple of weeks ago. It is SUPER tasty and good for you. I didn't mind one bit when this was the only thing DS would eat when he was sick. I think it took 5 min to make the first time...so its, quick too!

Here you go:

Chocolate Avocado Pudding
In a blender mix:
1 avocado (pitted and peeled of course) -should be a ripe one
3 heaping Tbsp of cocoa powder (I use 2 Tbsp)
1/3 cup raw agave nectar (I use 3 Tbsp agave)
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla extract (or the scrapings from a vanilla bean pod)
1/2 cup water (or more depending if your blender wants more water to work or not)-sometimes it needs quite a bit more. (I use about 1/8 cup, but I think that’s because I use an immersion/stick blender)

Make sure it's really creamy, use a spatula to get the pieces of avocado that get missed. And that's it.

indigo99
01-26-2011, 12:23 PM
That pudding actually sounds good. I'm not sure that it makes sense to buy agave and sea salt in order to use up a $1 avocado though. Then I'll be asking what to use the agave for.

Adding some to the burritos tonight and hoping I don't taste it because I LOVE these burritos.

BabbyO
01-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Oh, regular table salt is fine...that's what I used. Agave and honey are often used interchangably (though agave has a slightly ligher flavor). Another substitute would be light corn syrup.

We have agave in the house because its what we used when DS was under 1 and I needed honey in recipes (I got conflicting answers on whether honey cooked in food was ok for LO's under 1 and the bread I made every week - because DS has FA's, called for honey).

Anyway, I would think honey or light corn syrup would be a good substitution.

kijip
01-26-2011, 03:38 PM
It does have a dark, bumpy skin.

I'm not super picky, but this is just one of those things that I've never eaten and don't feel inclined to "learn" to like. I picked one up at the store because I thought it would be a good thing to get DS eating.

You are missing out. Now I have to go and get some avocados.

DrSally
02-11-2011, 12:19 AM
I just stumbled on this thread tonight, staring at a bowl of 4 ripe avocados (Costco). I diced up one for our salad tonight--delicious. Then, this thread got me thinking, and I mashed up another, added cumin (great--makes it smoky), no lime or lemon here right now, salt and pepper, and a little pace chunky salsa. Mmmm. Who knew I had the fixings for a decent guac at home.