PDA

View Full Version : So annoyed, but not surprised (update: it all worked out)

LarsMal
01-26-2011, 12:03 PM
I think I've posted in the past about my mother and her habit of bailing on me at the last minute. Well, she's done it again! She and my dad are supposed to come today to stay with me until Friday or Saturday. I don't need their help, but I could really use their company right now. We're about to get snowed in and if it's just me and the kids I will lose.my.mind!

The weather isn't great, but it's not terrible, and not supposed to get bad until after they are supposed to be here. I made the HUGE mistake of telling my kids they were coming. They have been talking about it for days, planning out all the games they are going to play, etc. I am so disappointed- again!

Then my mom has the nerve to call and tell me she talked to my aunt and my aunt said instead of my parents coming to me, I should pack the kids up for a couple days and go to my aunt's house. Um, NO! I love my aunt, but I'm not packing four of us up to get snowed in at her house, away from all their toys. Plus I'd have to pack for L and all of his food issues and that's just more hassle than it's worth.

My mom sucks!

scrooks
01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
That does really suck! My ILs are supposed to come and I'm really hoping they don't cancel for mostly the same reason. We've been snowed in and very boring here. It would be a nice change of pace for us to have visitors. Plus DH and I are supposed to go to my office holiday party on Sat night (my office does it in January to save $$). UGH! We could just use a break but I have a bad feeling too....I hope you can find something else fun to do this weekend. I really feel your pain!

elephantmeg
01-26-2011, 12:18 PM
I hope they come anyways! Tell them that the kids are so super excited to play with them!

LarsMal
01-26-2011, 01:53 PM
I hope they come anyways! Tell them that the kids are so super excited to play with them!

It worked! I think I guilted them into it, but I don't care- they are on the road! Fingers crossed for safe travels, or I'll never hear the end of it.

Of course there is still the chance they'll turn around!

TwinFoxes
01-26-2011, 03:28 PM
It worked! I think I guilted them into it, but I don't care- they are on the road! Fingers crossed for safe travels, or I'll never hear the end of it.

I'm so glad they're coming. I had to go out earlier today, and it wasn't bad at all. This morning's snow is already melted. As long as they're here by 5pm or so they should miss all the bad stuff. I'm sure they'll be safe, but I bet you'll be hearing about the traffic.

marge234
01-26-2011, 08:02 PM

Way to stand up for yourself, kids, original plans. I have such a hard time with this. Impulse is to let people off the hook, be all nice, but then I'm mad at myself and them. Even if they'd ended up bailing it's so much better to say something when you're being jerked around. Impressed.

LarsMal
01-26-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm so glad they're coming. I had to go out earlier today, and it wasn't bad at all. This morning's snow is already melted. As long as they're here by 5pm or so they should miss all the bad stuff. I'm sure they'll be safe, but I bet you'll be hearing about the traffic.

They made it! If they had stuck to the original plan they would've gotten here before it got bad. Instead they were on the Beltway and Toll Road when it started. They actually did okay, but my mom had a major stress headache when they got here.

At least they are here. The kids have been out of my hair since they walked in the door!

scrooks
01-26-2011, 08:37 PM
:cheerleader1:Yeah for you and your break!
Glad they made it safely!

Staraglimmer
01-26-2011, 08:39 PM
At least they are here. The kids have been out of my hair since they walked in the door!

:thumbsup:

elephantmeg
01-27-2011, 12:51 AM
yeah! glad you were able to guilt them into it!

MamaMolly
01-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Boooo grandma! Is there any way you can hint that DH's parents are becoming your kid's favorites? I'm nasty like that.

LarsMal
01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Is there any way you can hint that DH's parents are becoming your kid's favorites? I'm nasty like that.

I don't think I could choke the words out! That would truly be the lowest, nastiest thing I could say, though. I'll keep that idea in my back pocket if I ever need to kick them while they're down!!

MamaMolly
01-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Glad I could arm you for any future grandmotherly shortcomings ;). That's what friends are for!