PDA

View Full Version : Mobi Tykelight vs. Ikea Spoka?

sansdieu
01-26-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm sure I saw a thread on it not so long ago, but I can't find it. I just bought the battery-operated Mobi Tykelight Jr., and I wonder if it can last through the night and if it's otherwise in any way superior to those Ikea Spoka lights?

If you can find the old thread, send me right there!

wendibird22
01-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I posted about the Mobi here: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=382370&highlight=mobi

I don't have any experience with the Ikea one but we like our glomate. We have this one: http://www.getmobi.com/tykelight_glomate.php

Make sure that it's a newer version as it has been redesigned (per a letter we received from the company when they replaced our 2nd defective one). We've had the new version for several months now w/out issue. DD1 loves her glowie and takes it to bed with her each night. I do put it back on the charger when I head to bed because I think it only lasts 10hrs and we have it on 11hrs. We've taken it on trips with us too.

ohiomom1121
01-26-2011, 03:24 PM
We just had our third Mobi die so I definitely wouln't recommend it (the third was the new base). None have even made it a year. Target has something similar in the baby aisle I might try-we don't have Ikea.

candaceb
01-26-2011, 04:16 PM
I have the Ikea Spoka and I love it. It is becoming part of the "favorite things" baby gift package I'm doing for 4 friends/family members having babies this spring. I got it to use on my nightstand when DS was in the pack-n-play next to my bed, and now I have it on the bookcase next to the glider in his room, for when I need a little more light in the middle of the night. It works well and a charge lasts a long time (I don't leave it on all night though - just use it sporadically for a couple of minutes at a time).

garnetgirl
01-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Highly recommend the Spoka! We have the red and the blue, but the light from the blue lets you see things better, like if you needed to read a thermometer or something. The red has a strong glow, but it's very red and harder to use to see things. Hope that makes sense!
One thing that bothered me a bit is that the IKEA website lists the price as $12.99, but my IKEA sells it for $14.99 (it's in the IKEA fine print that prices vary between site and store, but still...).

lele
01-26-2011, 04:32 PM
I have had spoka before. They are so cute, but they died quickly. They just wouldn't charge after a while (a couple months). This was a year or so ago.

salsah
01-27-2011, 02:28 AM
our first mobi lasted years. it was used nightly, but not all night. it could stay all night. but the way we used it, dd kept it on while she fell asleep, then we would turn it off before we went to bed. she sometimes turned it back on in the middle of the night. but if not, it could last maybe a week between charges. our second one wouldn't last the night (it would last an hour or two tops). we had to charge it every day. it wasn't used much and died in short time. terribly disappointing.
i'm tempted to try the ikea ones so i'll be watching this thread.

sansdieu
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Thank you, everyone!

I posted about the Mobi here: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=382370&highlight=mobi

I don't have any experience with the Ikea one but we like our glomate. We have this one: http://www.getmobi.com/tykelight_glomate.php

Make sure that it's a newer version as it has been redesigned (per a letter we received from the company when they replaced our 2nd defective one). We've had the new version for several months now w/out issue. DD1 loves her glowie and takes it to bed with her each night. I do put it back on the charger when I head to bed because I think it only lasts 10hrs and we have it on 11hrs. We've taken it on trips with us too.

How do I know it's a redesigned version? What's different about it, what should I look for?

wendibird22
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Thank you, everyone!

How do I know it's a redesigned version? What's different about it, what should I look for?

Look for Glomate Plus. The base is black instead of gray and the black base illuminates a stripe around the base either red when charging or green when fully charged. The old gray base had just a small indicator light for charging status. Here's a pic of the updated version:
http://www.amazon.com/MOBI-70186-Mobi-Tykelight-Glomate/dp/B0042RU31I/ref=dp_ob_title_baby

I will say that even though I had a few issues Mobi's CS was great with replacing both older version glomates w/out requesting my receipt or w/out cost to me. I emailed their CS, they emailed me a form and a shipping label, and all I had to do was box it up and stick it in the mail.

keh602
01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
We have 5 of the IKEA Spokas and LOVE them! The first one we got were the originals -- red, green, and blue. Then I saw the new ones, reddish and blueish (the colors are different in person from the older ones) and had to have those too. We have them in DD's room, DS's room, our room, the guest room, and the guest bathroom. DD uses hers all night, but we keep it plugged in. So far so good after about 2 years. I used the ones in our room and DS's room all the time when he was up during the night. Those are only charged as needed, and the charge does last a long time.

salsah
01-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Look for Glomate Plus. The base is black instead of gray and the black base illuminates a stripe around the base either red when charging or green when fully charged. The old gray base had just a small indicator light for charging status. Here's a pic of the updated version:
http://www.amazon.com/MOBI-70186-Mobi-Tykelight-Glomate/dp/B0042RU31I/ref=dp_ob_title_baby

I will say that even though I had a few issues Mobi's CS was great with replacing both older version glomates w/out requesting my receipt or w/out cost to me. I emailed their CS, they emailed me a form and a shipping label, and all I had to do was box it up and stick it in the mail.

i wish i knew that! i would have contacted them about our second one (the one w/o a base) that never worked.

sansdieu
01-27-2011, 09:45 PM

Thanks!

We have 5 of the IKEA Spokas and LOVE them! The first one we got were the originals -- red, green, and blue. Then I saw the new ones, reddish and blueish (the colors are different in person from the older ones) and had to have those too. We have them in DD's room, DS's room, our room, the guest room, and the guest bathroom. DD uses hers all night, but we keep it plugged in. So far so good after about 2 years. I used the ones in our room and DS's room all the time when he was up during the night. Those are only charged as needed, and the charge does last a long time.

That's good to know; thanks!