PDA

View Full Version : How did you announce to the family you're pregnant?

BabbyO
01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I feel like the "I'm the big brother/sister" T-shirt thing is overdone...but DH has never heard of it and thinks it would be cute.

Anyone have other cute ideas that could include DS in making the announcement.

(We gave ultrasound pictures to grandparents last time...then let them spread the news)

lmr1101
01-26-2011, 03:07 PM
The big sister/brother shirt is done a lot... but I think it's because it works so well. We did this and my family went crazy. My dd was wearing a different outfit all day with the family and then right before dinner we snuck away and changed her shirt.
At first my Mom wondering what she was wearing and then as soon as she read the shirt they all went crazy!
Easy and fun!
Although I am curious to hear all of the creative ideas out there.

Nechums
01-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I did the big brother shirt to tell DH and it totally backfired. He thought it was some cheap t-shirt my mom got for DS at a thrift shop (which she does every so often).

BabbyO
01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
I did the big brother shirt to tell DH and it totally backfired. He thought it was some cheap t-shirt my mom got for DS at a thrift shop (which she does every so often).

HAHAHA...that is funny. DH wouldn't even think to read a T-shirt so I just told him! :)

BabbyO
01-26-2011, 03:24 PM
We did U/S pics last time and my MIL turned the picture around and said, "Wow, this is very interesting art!" (She's an art gallery director). SIL yelled (in a nice way), "Mommmmm...that's an ultrasound!!!!"

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2011, 03:24 PM
When I was pg with ds2 I made a sign that said "I'm going to be a big brother, x date" and took a picture of ds1 holding the sign. I mailed it to the family with a note on the envelope's exterior to only open on X day ( I didn't want 1 set of g'parents to know before the other). Worked great! I loved the phone calls after they opened the pictures.

Beth

wallawala
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Shutterfly calendar...

A friend who always does the traditional christmas calendar, but her ultrasound pic on the expected month as well as DC-to-be's birthday on her due date. She alwasy includes all the family birthdays on there, so it was perfect.

She let her parents flip through the calendar, but had to point out the due date cause they though the utrasound pic was of her current DC!

Digital photo frame (or just digital slide show Powerpoint to send via email)
We gave parents and inlaws digital photoframes with a whole bunch of family photos of grandkids preloaded on the scrolling screen. Last photo in the rotation was our ultrasound with a photo-shopped banner listing our due date.

It was a hit!

MommytoEliana
01-26-2011, 06:39 PM
We did a Big Sister to Be shirt for DD when I was expecting DS. It worked great. With this one I sort of casually snuck it into conversation and waited until people picked up on it. :-) For my friends whom I wouldn't see in person, I just changed my profile pic on Facebook to the ultrasound picture.

When I was pregnant with DD, for my mom and sister I did this poem and put it in a frame for each of them:
I do not have a face to see,
or put inside a frame.

I do not have soft cheeks to kiss;
I don't yet have a name.

You can't hold my tiny hands,
nor whisper in my ear.
It's still too soon to sing a song,
or cuddle me so near.

But all will change come April 10th,
when they say I'm due.
I'm your new grandson or granddaughter;
I can't wait till I meet you.

All I ask between now and then
is your patience while I grow.
I promise I'll be worth the wait,
because of all the love we'll know.

So as you're waiting patiently,
please pray lots of prayers for me.
I cannot wait to be a part
of this wonderful family!

Did the same with DH's parents but just put it in a card.

Have fun!

MacMacMoo
01-26-2011, 08:41 PM
With SqueekMoo it was "easy" DH and I weren't married (if we weren't being good and waiting for me to finish college we would have already been married). We flat out told our parents... if our mothers weren't happy they didn't care they had one month to pull off a wedding and they did it wonderfully.

With Matthew we gave SqueekMoo a sign that said "I'm going to be a big brother, due date." Sent it in an e-mail labeled "SqueekMoo has something to say" to our parents and sibilings. My sister got the e-mail and thought I meant that SqueekMoo was going to be on the show big brother or something weird like that.

With this one we are waiting a few more months and will probably give SqueekMoo a sign again but this time have a stork and just the due month. Perhaps in the e-mail included a cheesy poem like "July is a month of red white and blue. It's also when we are due."

HIU8
01-26-2011, 09:39 PM
With DS we called and told them. With DD, FIL was dieing and we didn't want to wait to tell them, so told them immediately so FIL knew (I wasn't even 12 weeks yet). We went up to visit and told him in person.

SkyrMommy
01-26-2011, 10:15 PM
DH and I had just gotten back from our very long vacation and got pregnant on the trip... I wanted to tell both sets of parents right away so as we went through all the photographs of the trip and souvenirs we waited to the end and told them that there was one more souvenir, but they'd have to wait until April for the delivery. Both FIL and my Dad got it right away, the moms were a bit slower!

MamaSnoo
01-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Honestly....I cannot remember. I think we just called and told them. Very boring.

Cheri---I love the poem! I might use that next time around if we have another.

wendibird22
01-27-2011, 04:16 PM
We were preggo with DD2 just before Mother's Day so we gave the Grandma's cards signed by DD1 and baby #2.

DietCokeLover
01-27-2011, 04:28 PM
DD is a Dec baby, so I wrapped up early Christmas gifts of bibs that said I Love my Grandma/ Grandpa and gave them to my parents.

With DS, I actually tested while I was at my parents house in a different state. So, DH and I made a Top Ten list if reasons they should move to our state. #1 was to "see Dd as a big sister".

GvilleGirl
01-27-2011, 05:06 PM
With our first we sent my dad a "My first Cubs shirt" with a note saying that next season he will have someone to nap with. My mom we sent Jaque the Peacock and a note saying Grandma, We can't wait for you to visit the four of us. Love Me, Hubs, & the Dog. We just flat out told the IL and everyone for #2.

MommytoEliana
01-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Honestly....I cannot remember. I think we just called and told them. Very boring.

Cheri---I love the poem! I might use that next time around if we have another.

Thanks! Wish I could take credit for it, but I think someone on the birthing board I was on at the time had posted it. (Who knows who the original author was.) I still love it.

AnnieW625
01-29-2011, 09:29 PM
With DD1 we called our family on the day of the 8 week appointment. With DD2 we planned to tell everyone after we got the results of the pre AFP test results back at 13 weeks. After our loss I was very protective of who knew I was pregnant. I think (I honestly don't remember! he he!) I did tell my parents a week or so before that though, but told them not to tell anyone and they held up their end of the bargain.