PDA

View Full Version : Baby in same room as mom for how long? (AAP SIDS recommendations?)

D0ubtfire
01-26-2011, 06:51 PM
I know that the AAP recommends that infants sleep in the same room as the parents because it reduces the risk of SIDS. However, I can't figure out how long they recommend this for, all I see is the word "infant". So, does that mean, the first 3 months, 6 months, or first year? From what I can see a baby is an infant until they can walk, or until 1 year of age... is there any definitive guide on this? Thanks for the help.

D0ubtfire
01-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I might have just answered my own question... I found this link:

http://www.babyzone.com/askanexpert/sids-sudden-infant-death-syndrome

It defines SIDS as the death of a child under the age of 1 without explanation. It says that the AAP still considers a child in the danger zone up until their first birthday, and it says that First Candle, the former National SIDS Foundation, recommends that the baby sleep in your room atleast until the age of 6 months. So somewhere between 6 months and 1 year I might move the crib out of the room...

Anyones thoughts?

Katigre
01-26-2011, 07:30 PM
It makes a lot of sense to me - I have known parents who saved their child's life due to coorooming vs. separate bedrooms.

alirebco
01-26-2011, 07:36 PM
yeah, 6 months is when the biggest risk is over. i think we shared a room with DS for 4 months and then i was paranoid until he was about 6 months. that's when i ran out and got the video monitor because just the sound one wasn't reassuring for me.

amldaley
01-29-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I seem to remember reading that the risk sort of tapers down (maybe I read this on Dr Sears website? I read alot of him when I was at that stage.)

First 3 months they need to hear you breathing. Then the next step down is at 6 months, then the risk tapers again at 1 year.

You don't have to have your baby IN your bed. A co-sleeper that attaches to your bed, a pack-n-play w/ bassinette, a regular bassinette or even the whole crib in your room are all viable options.

We likely went a little too long with DD and let her sleep in bed with us when she was a little bigger. It was very hard to transition her and we were only successful at age 2!

Next time, we plan to let the LO sleep in our room until he/she can roll over in both directions.