PDA

View Full Version : s/o are *maternity* designer jeans worth it? (update #15)

♥ms.pacman♥
01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
i guess a spin-off of the other thread. i'd be been in maternity clothes for about 1.5 years, and will likely be for another full year (i don't lose weight at all with nursing... when i was 6mos post-partum with DS i had to go to Pea in the Pod to buy pants that fit :cry:). As you can imagine, i am pretty sick of wearing the same stuff (mostly Old Navy, Target, Motherhood Maternity clothes). I'm not buying any more non-maternity clothes because i know I won't fit into them for a loong time. Right now i only have one pair of maternity jeans that were $20 from Motherhood Maternity, and while they fit decently and are okay, i could really use a nice pair of jeans that fit well, are flattering and prevent me from looking & feeling like a frumpy SAHM all the time.

Soo, was wondering if anyone has tried designer maternity jeans, and if so what brands, and if they're worth the $200 price tag. I'm due in less than 3 months, but i'd probably wear them for at least a year.

I know Pea in the Pod sells a large variety of designer maternity jeans, but it seems it's mostly online. I am bit reluctant to order jeans online, as I have an odd shape (i'm the exact opposite of hour-glass shaped, i have no waist), and i am usually the kind of person who has to try 20 pairs of jeans on before i can find one that fits and is flattering. plus, i wouldn't even know what size i'd be. my jeans and almost all my pants from Motherhood/Pea in Pod are size S, and they fit pretty well long after i had DS and fit well right now at 7mos preggo , but i have no idea how the sizing runs on the designer brands.

I know in the other jeans thread people mentioned Nordstrom Rack, and that would be the first place I'd go for designer jeans (i love that place, lots of great deals), but they don't sell maternity clothes! :(

GvilleGirl
01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
My SIL had some COH maternity that were really nice. If I was smart I would have ordered a pair when I was pregnant with #1, but I did end up finding a nice pair at the Gap. I would order from Nordstroms online before I would order from Motherhood/PP. I HATE dealing with Motherhood and there return policy - only store credit. I can't wait to get back in my normal clothes.

arivecchi
01-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I absolutely loved my Citizens of Humanity maternity jeans. I lived in them during both pregnancies and for a while after I had both kids. They looked fab. Totally worth it.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-27-2011, 05:53 PM
thx for the replies..i think u guys are convincing me :)..i'm looking at these right now (see link). DH keeps asking what to get me for Valentine's gift, i might just ask for a pair of these...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/citizens-of-humanity-maternity-kelly-bootcut-stretch-jeans-new-pacific-blue/2946875?origin=wishlist

it's online only, but the return/exchange policy seems pretty good (you can return for free in-store). and yeah, i was not a fan of Motherhood's return/exchange policy either, i just bought from there bc i was able to shop in-store.

arivecchi
01-27-2011, 06:36 PM
I think those are the ones I have. They are AWESOME. They made my butt look fab!

chottumommy
01-27-2011, 06:47 PM
thx for the replies..i think u guys are convincing me :)..i'm looking at these right now (see link). DH keeps asking what to get me for Valentine's gift, i might just ask for a pair of these...

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/citizens-of-humanity-maternity-kelly-bootcut-stretch-jeans-new-pacific-blue/2946875?origin=wishlist

it's online only, but the return/exchange policy seems pretty good (you can return for free in-store). and yeah, i was not a fan of Motherhood's return/exchange policy either, i just bought from there bc i was able to shop in-store.

I have this one and also a skinny jeans from old navy (if you care for those)

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=5854&vid=1&pid=775651

and I have to tell that I love my old navy ones in terms of how my butt looks much much better than the citizens of humanity ones, and so much cheaper.

The skinny are not really very skinny but shape my butt.

AnnieW625
01-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Citizens of Humanity, and Seven for Man Kind didn't work for me. Chip and Pepper were close (I don't even know if they make that brand anymore, it was 2005 when I bought my jeans), but my all time favorites were from Japanese Weekend. I bought two pairs at $100 and they lasted me through 2/1/2 pregnancies, plus about 6 weeks post partum twice, and a good 3 weeks post D&E with preg. #2. They were so darn comfortable.

I had one pair of these, slim fit (not really that slim fit as they fit me fine) (http://www.japaneseweekend.com/Ok-maternity-slim-bootflare-jean-p/60-4170-073.htm), and another pair that they no longer make.

I can actually send you a pair (the ones they no longer make) of them as they still are in somewhat decent shape, but they do have a rip near the pocket. PM me if you are interested.

AshleyAnn
01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
I had one pair of motherhood jeans that I adored. They weren't 'designer' just motherhood that I bought used for $3 but I felt fabulous in them. No I felt beyond fabulous. They were the only item of clothing I owned towards the end of the pregnancy that made me feel even slightly attractive.

If anything happened to them I would pay any dollar amount to replace them with the exact same jeans without a blink of the eye and I'm not normally one to spend a lot of money on clothing for myself.

jgenie
01-27-2011, 09:05 PM
Sending you a PM.

ahrimie
01-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I just bought j brand skinnies that I really really love. They're not skin tight but it's also 2 sizes up from what I normally wear in maternity jeans elsewhere. They're thin and stretchy so super comfy. I also bought a pair of COH petite jeans (both of these from a pea in a pod) but it stretches out by the end of the day. They're also not really "petite" because I'd still have to hem them to wear heels. :( I'm sad because I already tried washing in hot water and it didn't help. I like the pea in the pod jeans' belly panels; they're different than the same jean from another store. I really don't want to buy another pair but I'm seriously tempted to because the COH are looser than I want. Plus, that would be nearly $600 JUST for jeans.... that's ridiculous, right?? :(

mushka
01-27-2011, 10:47 PM
If they make you look good and feel sexy, they are totally worth it, imo. Plus, Nordstom has great return policy so you have nothing to loose!

Myfoursons
01-28-2011, 12:11 PM
So worth it. I bought a pair of J Brand jeans for my last 2 pregnancies. I wore them constantly, and actually kind of missed them after I had the baby! They've found a new home with my pregnant friend who loves them, too.

kozachka
01-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Not sure if Japanese Weekend would be considered designer or not, but I lived in their jeans toward the end of my pregnancy. And their pants during the 2nd semester. They were not cheap but also not as expensive as COH. I liked that there was no belly panel so they did not scream maternity and could be worn post-partum, too.

lovebebes
01-30-2011, 12:55 AM
I just bought j brand skinnies that I really really love. They're not skin tight but it's also 2 sizes up from what I normally wear in maternity jeans elsewhere. They're thin and stretchy so super comfy. I also bought a pair of COH petite jeans (both of these from a pea in a pod) but it stretches out by the end of the day. They're also not really "petite" because I'd still have to hem them to wear heels. :( I'm sad because I already tried washing in hot water and it didn't help. I like the pea in the pod jeans' belly panels; they're different than the same jean from another store. I really don't want to buy another pair but I'm seriously tempted to because the COH are looser than I want. Plus, that would be nearly $600 JUST for jeans.... that's ridiculous, right?? :(

The J Brand skinnies are FANTASTIC. They are like the softest ever legging. So comfy. I wore mine all through my pregnancy and wearing them now every day, and will be until I fit again into my old jeans.

Oh, and a little birdie told me where to get the JBrands for about $45 instead of $200....i could let you in on it if interested...

♥ms.pacman♥
01-30-2011, 07:55 PM
ok so i went to nearest Destination Maternity store (which carries Pea in Pod etc) bc i really wanted to try these out before paying $$$. I'm glad i tried them on instead of ordering online...i am a few sizes smaller than i thought (yay). Plus it helped to try on the different brands to see how they fit.

anyway, i tried on both COH and Joe's (would have tried other brands too, i could have easily spent 3 hours in there, but my DH & DS were waiting). i ended up getting a pair of bootcut Joe's Jeans (provocateur fit). :cheerleader1: They are indeed feel pretty light and comfy and are pretty darn flattering.

oh and random thing...what struck me was that all the jeans i tried were SOO ridiculously long!! So eventually I asked to try some petite and they ended up being perfect length (which usually NEVER happens, usually *regular* jeans are too short for me). interesting bc the inseam on the petite jeans must be at least 31" or so, so doesn't seem so "petite" to me. I guess it's a designer brand thing??

anyway, i'm happy for now that i have some non-frumpy clothes to wear for the next few months or so. :)

ilfaith
01-30-2011, 11:14 PM
oh and random thing...what struck me was that all the jeans i tried were SOO ridiculously long!! So eventually I asked to try some petite and they ended up being perfect length (which usually NEVER happens, usually *regular* jeans are too short for me). interesting bc the inseam on the petite jeans must be at least 31" or so, so doesn't seem so "petite" to me. I guess it's a designer brand thing??

This is actually the reason I never bought "designer" maternity jeans. I did try on a few pairs at Pea in the Pod, but they were all so long, and I figured by the time I got around to having the alterations done I'd be ready to deliver. I did find a pair of boot cut jeans at Old Navy which were super flattering (and cheap!)