PDA

View Full Version : Preschool Party Favor- no food allowed

mom2binsd
01-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I need an idea to give out at DS's preschool on his birthday in mid March. The teachers discourage it but some parents, unfortunately the one's who's kids have the early birthdays have set the precedence. Food is not allowed to be given out, we are a food free preschool (only the preschool provides food).

So far every child in the class has handed out something, either a BOC, or a single item, the last one was the 1.00 wipe off board from Target (a cute idea and useful). We've gotten coloring books/preschool workbooks and lots of junk.

There are 18 kids in the class..ugh I hate having to spend this money, even if I do a 1.00 item for each kid that's still 17.00 I don't need to spend....

Last year I did bubbles, might do it again if I can find them as it's still winter here but maybe closer to March.

Any other ideas???

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Order from Etsy or make your own shaped crayons. Example (I haven't ordered from this vendor):
http://www.etsy.com/listing/62202608/dinosaur-jumbo-crayons-lil-doodlers-tm?ref=sr_gallery_39&ga_search_query=dinosaur%2Bcrayons&ga_search_type=handmade

I like giving those out because they are small, fun, cheap enough and look neat.

Beth

Purple18
01-27-2011, 10:30 PM
You could do the play doh mini cans that come in a pack of 15 (I think) from Target - you'd have lots of extras since you'd need to buy 2, but....they also come with gift tags. I also have seen packs of cute notebooks in the Target dollar bins - I think they were packs of 8 minis and they had packs of like 10 pencils for $1 too - I saw Valentine's and Super Hero themes....

mom2one
01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
One year we gave each kid the capsule sponges that make animals of some sort. Everyone loved those. Michaels has them in the $1 section, you can also use the sale coupons on them.

S

JustMe
01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
Go to the dollar store. You can buy packs of party favors that have 5-6 of each favor in a $1 packet.

icunurse
01-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Both Target and Walmart have bubbles in the summer aisle. Target was $2 for 6 and Walmart $3 for 8. Walmart also has generic sillybandz, a pack of 12 for $1. Sticker sheets for $1 in the party area.

twowhat?
01-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Temporary tattoos?

bubbaray
01-27-2011, 11:52 PM
If you hate having to spend the money and don't *want* to do it, you have the perfect excuse -- the teachers discourage it.

twowhat?
01-27-2011, 11:55 PM
If you hate having to spend the money and don't *want* to do it, you have the perfect excuse -- the teachers discourage it.

This is a good point. We didn't bring anything for our girls' birthday (and parents are allowed to bring food). How old is he? Does he get that on other kids' birthdays they get to bring something to share and would he be upset if on his birthday he had nothing to bring?

RunnerDuck
01-27-2011, 11:55 PM

Yeah that.

I HATE the whole flock of lemmings bag of crap mentality. WHEN did this bag of crap thing begin??? No one did this when I was a kid. I was totally unprepared for it when my son started school. We don't need any more plastic crap, small cans of playdoh, temporary tatoos, or pencils. I don't want it, so I don't give it. I don't understand this cult of the oriental trading catolog that has popped up.

I just wouldn't send anything, if you can't send food.

salsah
01-28-2011, 12:05 AM
i hate it too. but of course after dd seeing her friends hand out gifts for their birthdays, she is looking forward to doing the same. we have received some nice stuff as well as the bag o crap. the bag of crap is the worst because not only do we know have a ton junk that we didn't need to want, i know that the person spent too much money on it.

in the past we have tried to do a single nicer item. we did the wikki stix party packs one and a yummy earth lolly pop one year. we have also done dollar store activity books and discounted books from scholastic.

i miss the good old days when everyone brought in cupcakes on their birthday. i really do not understand this new trend.
i understand the no food rule, i just don't understand the idea of giving gifts to everyone in the class. it seems meaningless, not thoughtful.

fortato
01-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Homemade playdough with a cheap cookie cutter.

DietCokeLover
01-28-2011, 12:19 AM
Homemade playdough with a cheap cookie cutter.

Oh my goodness, I was coming to post this exact thing!

I made gingerbread play dough and tied it in a bag with a cookie cutter for DD's preschool class for Christmas. It went over very well.

MamaMolly
01-28-2011, 01:12 AM
I don't understand this cult of the oriental trading catolog that has popped up.

:hysterical: LMAO at this!! It is so true!! For Lula's birthday (we were the first in her class, it is traditional at the school to do gifts though, so I felt I needed to participate) we gave each child a set of watercolor paints.

Katigre
01-28-2011, 01:32 AM
Here is what has been a big hit:
1. Mini playdoh
2. Glow bracelets (target sells a 12 pack in the dollar spot)
3. Stickers. You can buy a 100 roll of animal zoo stickers on amazon.com for $4 and then cut it up into pieces for each child to have a few.

mom2binsd
01-28-2011, 06:08 PM
DS has already asked what he will be giving out so I'm stuck there...

Thanks for the ideas.

Personally I hate hate hate Playdoh so I wouldn't give it out.

I think someone mentioned Michael's and I checked there and they had quite a big variety of 1.00 items....bubbles are a hit here and are easy to give out, no packaging required. I also saw a cute magnifying glass for kids for a 1.00, now does Michael's ever have those 40% of entire purchase coupons or just one item...cause then I'd be so happy.

zag95
01-28-2011, 07:17 PM
Can you make a donation to the classroom that all the kids could enjoy? What about some class goldfish or a ladybug or similar science kit?? New books to look at?

I like the idea of stickers..... How about some sidewalk chalk for when the weather is nicer??

SASM
01-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Can you make a donation to the classroom that all the kids could enjoy? What about some class goldfish or a ladybug or similar science kit?? New books to look at?

I like the idea of stickers..... How about some sidewalk chalk for when the weather is nicer??

Great idea!

The only gifty thing that I can recommend is buying the wood shapes on a wooden dowel from AC Moore and decoratively write the kids' names on them with fabric paint (usually with at least one shade of sparkly paint). Then, tie some sparkly ribbon around the base...magic wand. I've done this for several years...it's been well-received by both kids & parents. I usually make them for the teachers as well...the kids get a kick out of that. Hearts or flowers for girls...stars for boys. After valentine's day, the hearts are usually reduced to $0.30 each. If I cannot find the stars, I get the boys little cars. I think Walmart has multipacks of diecast cars on clearance. I usually don't mind spending a little extra bc living away from family we usually didn't have a birthday party...school party was generally it in preschool along with a special immediate family treat night. HTH. :) I love doing these just bc it is usually my only crafty thing that I do, other than coloring with the kids. For the other crafts that we do, I am usually helping them and do not get to do one of my own. :)

That being said,

mom2binsd
01-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Great idea!

The only gifty thing that I can recommend is buying the wood shapes on a wooden dowel from AC Moore and decoratively write the kids' names on them with fabric paint (usually with at least one shade of sparkly paint). Then, tie some sparkly ribbon around the base...magic wand. I've done this for several years...it's been well-received by both kids & parents. I usually make them for the teachers as well...the kids get a kick out of that. Hearts or flowers for girls...stars for boys. After valentine's day, the hearts are usually reduced to $0.30 each. If I cannot find the stars, I get the boys little cars. I think Walmart has multipacks of diecast cars on clearance. I usually don't mind spending a little extra bc living away from family we usually didn't have a birthday party...school party was generally it in preschool along with a special immediate family treat night. HTH. :) I love doing these just bc it is usually my only crafty thing that I do, other than coloring with the kids. For the other crafts that we do, I am usually helping them and do not get to do one of my own. :)

You are waaay overestimating my ability to create what sounds lovely..am thinking bubbles or chalk will be the way to go, I'll have to spend 17.00 but it's pretty easy. I his 2 class I did bubbles and with extra xmas ribbon, red I think I made a little card that said Thanks for helping me celebrate my birthday, and DS's name"

SASM
01-28-2011, 10:34 PM
You are waaay overestimating my ability to create what sounds lovely..am thinking bubbles or chalk will be the way to go, I'll have to spend 17.00 but it's pretty easy. I his 2 class I did bubbles and with extra xmas ribbon, red I think I made a little card that said Thanks for helping me celebrate my birthday, and DS's name"

Ha!!! That's funny bc I think that is too much work! :) Writing all of that on a card and tying it on...too much work! :) Sparkly paint...write out the name...put some fancy dots around the edges...write "From, ______" on the back when dry...done! :)

RunnerDuck
01-28-2011, 10:54 PM
Can you make a donation to the classroom that all the kids could enjoy?

WOW that is a great idea. Some sort of toy or game for indoor recess when the weather is crappy. I will have to remember that - my son's bday was in Nov. I just sent in cupcakes...