PDA

View Full Version : Neighbor's son is the laziest thing I have ever seen

HIU8
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Elderly neighbor. her adult son lives with her. He is in his 40's, never married and the laziest person I have ever met. In the 7 years I've lived in my house he has NEVER shoveled any snow for his mother (not the driveway, not the walkway and not around the crap car he leaves in the street and doesn't move for the snow plows). His mother goes outside with a broom to shovel snow. She is outside now with a broom attempting to clear snow from her sons car (other neighbors have complained b/c the car has not moved for a year and the plow had to leave a good portion of the street untouched b/c of where his car is). Now, neighbor has a neighbor landscaper do her driveway with a snowblower. Last winter the charge was $120 a driveway. I used to like neighbor landscaper until I saw him charging neighbors that much $$ (I guess I expected $50 max, but $120 NO WAY). This year I heard he is charging more.

And, I know you are going to ask if we ever go over and help. Normally yes, but for 7 years to always have to go and do her driveway in addition to ours while her son watches from the front door (she claims he has a bad back--well, he spends 2-3 hours a day at the gym so bad back is no excuse).

I'm at the point where I'm calling the police about the darn car. I like my neighbor but her not her son.

Pennylane
01-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I think that is so sad, but she is allowing him to take advantage of her so what can you really do???

As far as the other neighbor charging $120, that is insane and they should be ashamed of themselves!

Ann

neobunny
01-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Maybe you should contact someone about elder abuse. Its real and maybe its happening to this women. If you think it could be a possibility then please make the call. Even if you really don't think that she's being abused physically it could be happening emotionally or financially. By making her shovel the snow it could be considered abuse, especially if there are other signs. Maybe im over reacting but I work with the elderly & this doesn't sit well with me.

KrisM
01-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Do you have emergency parking bans for snow? We do and cars can be towed then. If you do, I'd call then.

As for $120 for a driveway, that's about the going rate here. I think it'll depend on how often and how much snow you get. If you get 3 snows a year, $120 is nuts. But, if you get 20 a year, it's only $6/snow and not bad.

longtallsally05
01-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Maybe you should contact someone about elder abuse. Its real and maybe its happening to this women. If you think it could be a possibility then please make the call. Even if you really don't think that she's being abused physically it could be happening emotionally or financially. By making her shovel the snow it could be considered abuse, especially if there are other signs. Maybe im over reacting but I work with the elderly & this doesn't sit well with me.

:yeahthat: What a bum!

vejemom
01-28-2011, 09:48 PM
As for $120 for a driveway, that's about the going rate here. I think it'll depend on how often and how much snow you get. If you get 3 snows a year, $120 is nuts. But, if you get 20 a year, it's only $6/snow and not bad.

I'm not the OP, but I think she meant that he charges $120 per plowing on any given driveway. That is nuts for a suburban driveway. I just paid $150 to get ours done, but ours is about 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile long. I thought it was pricy, but I was ready to hand dig it if it meant getting my FIL out of here :ROTFLMAO:

belovedgandp
01-28-2011, 10:12 PM
Yeah, I hear you. We have a couple of neighbors that are the same way. 20-somethings and teenagers living at home, but they aren't out there shoveling the driveway or mowing the lawn. In my case the parents are able bodied and totally allowing the behavior in perfectly capable children.

I found myself shoveling a neighbor's drive this last storm - her husband was out of town and she just broke her wrist and has two small kids. I did the first pass but then another couple inches fell overnight. I was doing my own when the teenagers were out messing in the cul-de-sac. I kind of politely but quite directly pointed out that they should go do the second pass.

HIU8
01-28-2011, 10:23 PM
We get 1 - 3 bigger snows a year (others are small if at all). Landscaper charges $120 per time (not for the season). He is a real jerk that way.

KrisM
01-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Wow! We have average suburban driveways and get about 20 good snows a year. We have a snow thrower, but our neighbors pay $150 for a guy to plow their driveway for the entire season! He comes at 3 or more inches and is done by about 6am.

salsah
01-28-2011, 11:32 PM
that is so sad. i'm surprised that his car hasn't been ticketed. why hasn't he moved his car in a year?

totally unrelated, but i have to say it: dh has a bad back (herniated discs) and can/should spend hours at the gym. but shoveling snow is something that he should not even attempt.

is it possible that there is something more going on with the son? i just can't imagine . . . that poor woman.

dogmom
01-29-2011, 03:25 PM
is it possible that there is something more going on with the son? i just can't imagine . . . that poor woman.

That was my first thought. My second thought, is be careful about feeling too sorry for this woman. She raised him. She is letting him live there. This might be the nightmare MIL we get posts about that thing her son can do no wrong and the woman should do everything. I don't assume what goes on in someone's house behind closed doors. But on the surface, a I agree it looks really bad.

catsnkid
01-29-2011, 09:25 PM
That sounds like it is my BIL!! I know it isn't.