PDA

View Full Version : No, my dog does not need to meet yours!!

Pennylane
01-28-2011, 06:00 PM
I have been really trying to get out everyday and take my large dog for a walk. I don't do it enough, it is great exercise for both of us, and it was my only New Years Resolution.

I am so tired of every other person I pass who is walking their dog stopping me to say " Is it ok if they meet"? It was fine the first or second time, but yesterday I was asked this 3 times!! I mean he's a dog, he doesn't need to meet every other dog in the neighborhood. Plus he is big! He starts jumping and gets all excited, we get wrapped up in leashes, etc, etc....

So today I am out walking and I see one of the most irritating ladies walking towards me with her dog, so I cross over to the other side of the street and she says very loudly " I guess Rocky (my dog) is too busy today to come say hi to you (to her dog)"!!

Ugh, really??

Ann

misshollygolightly
01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Urgh. This doesn't usually bother me, but I do find it annoying on those occasions when I'm walking our dog *and* clearly doing something else (jogging, pushing DS in a stroller, holding DS's hand while he walks, whatever). It's just easier to cross to the other side of the street than to break pace and keep the dogs and kids untangled.

TwinFoxes
01-28-2011, 08:17 PM
What a weirdo. She's feeling snubbed by a DOG? I don't mind if doggies meet my guys, but I would understand if another dog owner didn't feel like it for whatever reason.

mmommy
01-28-2011, 08:43 PM
" I guess Rocky (my dog) is too busy today to come say hi to you (to her dog)"!!

:hysterical:
She must have wonderful people skills if she is this good at reading your dog's body language.
Oh, I ALMOST got sucked into believing her - that your DOG was the one who decided to try to avoid her. What a freak.

mctlaw
01-28-2011, 11:18 PM
I totally commiserate! I'm happy to let the dogs "meet" if I have all the time in the world, but usually I'm either watching a 4 YO or running late to work. And there's a couple creepy guys that I feel like are more interested in me then socializing the dogs! I have totally crossed the street and I have even faked a sick dog on more than 1 occasion :wink2:

newg
01-29-2011, 12:02 AM
ummmm yeah....our neighbor wanted to let her 100+lb lab meet our greyhounds in our backyard for a "playdate" one day when we were all outside and she was walking by (when we first moved in). DH complied because we were new to the neighborhood and her dog proceeded to pee on every.single.thing in the backyard....including DH's grill.

So I feel your pain! I'm okay with a quick sniff, but not every dog needs to meet. What if the dogs don't like eachother........

ha98ed14
01-29-2011, 12:18 AM
She's a freak. Seriously. Her dogs must be her kids, or even more than her kids because I know if I was pushing my stroller and you were pushing yours and we crossed paths and you did not want to stop for our babies to meet, I would not be offended. She's a f.r.e.a.k.

ETA: Next time you could yell back, "Sorry, she's allergic to dogs!"

Pennylane
01-29-2011, 08:07 AM
She's a freak. Seriously. Her dogs must be her kids, or even more than her kids because I know if I was pushing my stroller and you were pushing yours and we crossed paths and you did not want to stop for our babies to meet, I would not be offended. She's a f.r.e.a.k.

ETA: Next time you could yell back, "Sorry, she's allergic to dogs!"

It's funny, she said one day "We'll I'd better get the kids home to eat" and I was looking around for her children until I realized she was talking about her dogs!!

Ann

gatorsmom
01-30-2011, 10:42 PM
Oh for goodness sake. Dogs meeting dogs? I've never heard of this before. And if I were stopped in my neighborhood 3 times while walking (I am serious about my speed walking), I'd be irritated.

Can our dogs meet? Oh, so they can sniff each others' a$$es? right.