PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe not to have a period??

Pennylane
01-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Went to my first OB appt yesterday in 3 years, awful I know and I promise I will go yearly from now on. Anyway, ever since I turned 40 my periods have been kicking my a**. Bad headaches, cramping, upset stomach,etc. I have not been on the pill over the last 3 years because it seemed to make it worse. Well my doctor put me back on the pill and advised me to take it continually (skip the sugar pills) so that my estrogen levels never drop and I don't have a period.

Anyone have any experience with this? He assured me it was safe, but I am just having doubts.

Thanks,
Ann

sariana
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
It is my understanding that it is safer NOT to have a monthly period. We were designed to be either pregnant or nursing most of our adult lives. Our bodies really aren't intended to be menstruating so much.

There are other concerns about taking the Pill past age 35, but not having a period is not a big concern, IMO.

mommylamb
01-28-2011, 07:23 PM
I've always heard that it's totally safe, and that when the pill first came out they included the sugare pill week because they thought women would be emotionally damaged by not getting a regular period. When I was on depo (the shot), the hormones are continual, so I never got a period. Of course, I hated the shot for other reasons (no sex drive).

icunurse
01-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Lybrel is a BCP made just for that reason. The only problem is that when you take the pill continuously, you may have spotting.

indigo99
01-28-2011, 08:30 PM
I was on the seasonale for a while where you have a period every 3 months. It takes a while for your body to get used to it, and some people's bodies just don't ever adjust (so you have spotting or irregular bleeding which is worse than knowing when you're going to bleed and just doing it every month IMO).

I agree with pp that there's really no reason that your body NEEDS to have a period.

mom2khj
01-28-2011, 08:33 PM
My OB doesn't like to prescribe the ones intended to skip, but instead has me skip the last week of my regular ones. She says to only do it for three months at a time. I think this helps with spotting too.

sansdieu
01-28-2011, 09:52 PM
It is my understanding that it is safer NOT to have a monthly period. We were designed to be either pregnant or nursing most of our adult lives. Our bodies really aren't intended to be menstruating so much.

There are other concerns about taking the Pill past age 35, but not having a period is not a big concern, IMO.

:yeahthat:

So many women are seriously iron-deficient; it's actually better for them not to have a monthly period.

Indianamom2
01-28-2011, 09:53 PM
I am on LoEstrinFE 24 which is designed to give you shorter, lighter periods. You take the 24 regular pills and only 4 iron/sugar pills, instead of 7.

A common side effect is lighter periods or none at all. I haven't had one the last two months, and I often skip it all together, though not always. At first, it just shortened the duration and made my period lighter, then I started skipping every other period...now it's just sort of a toss-up. Still, it's better than the really heavy long periods I was having before.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no harm.

AshleyAnn
01-29-2011, 01:49 AM
I took seasonale for nearly 2 years. At first skipping the periods was fine but after the first 4 packs (each pack is 3 months) the first skipped period would have awful PMS like symptoms for a week but no bleeding then when I did have period it was think and dark and horribly painful.

FYI skipping cycles on regular pills can cause health insurance problems because you require extra pill packs by the end of the year and they only cover so many. Seasonale is covered by most insurances (and is available in generic). And at least one pill is on walmart's $3 list.

I'm not sure I would go any longer than 3 months without a period just because the lining and whatnot does get thick and gunked up in there and I would worry it could cause an issue at some point if you go much longer. But I'm an accountant not an OBGYN so thats my personal opinion.

Pennylane
01-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone for all the information. I feel safe now trying it for a few months and see how it goes.

Ann