PDA

View Full Version : Who Else Suffers From Hormonal Migraines and...

Indianamom2
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Anyone else here suffer from monthly hormonally-triggered migraines? If you did, but now they're under control, can you please share your secret because I am quite literally giving myself an ulcer with all the OTC meds I am taking to try to function through the migraines.

Thanks,
Me

Karenn
01-28-2011, 11:19 PM
I started taking verapmil daily as a preventative. It's a blood pressure medication but it did the trick for my migraines. I rarely get them now, whereas before, I was getting them several times a month. It worked for my friend and her mom too.

Indianamom2
01-28-2011, 11:36 PM
I started taking verapmil daily as a preventative. It's a blood pressure medication but it did the trick for my migraines. I rarely get them now, whereas before, I was getting them several times a month. It worked for my friend and her mom too.

Funny, you're the only other person that I've heard of who has had luck with that med. I did actually take Verapamil while pregnant with Ds and it worked like a charm then. I'd happily take it again, but it will interact with an anti-anxiety med I'm currently taking.

However, I'm not sure the anxiety med is working all that well, so maybe I just need to switch and ask for more Verapamil.

Thanks for the reply...it gives me some ideas.

Melbel
01-28-2011, 11:42 PM
My migraines are triggered in part by migraines. A preventative measure for migraines that has worked great for me is large doses of riboflavin (vitamin B-2) taken daily. It is water soluable (so it will not build up in your body), inexpensive and well tolerated. It has made a world of difference for me after numerous other prescriptions failed to help (topamax was the worst for me).

Recommended dose is 400 mg/day http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natural...5117989&sr=1-1

Studies have supported its effectiveness:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15257686
http://www.neurology.org/content/50/2/466.abstract

Karenn
01-29-2011, 12:05 AM
(topamax was the worst for me).

I hated topamax too. The side effects were horrible.

sansdieu
01-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Another one here. I've tried so many preventives in so many doses (sometimes taking in excess of 50 pills/wk) that I might need a new liver soon.

Topamax had no effect; desipramine made things worse (and I gained 10lbs on it); my insurance won't pay for Botox (even though I'm a good candidate for it). I'm currently on propranalol (Inderall, another blood pressure medication), and it seems better than others - but the dose is pretty high, and it has side effects too (and, like Verapamil, might interact with your other meds).

Going off birth control pills helped for a while, too, but that was a decade ago.

Good luck! I hope you can find something that works.

elektra
01-29-2011, 02:11 AM
Treximet has worked wonders for my migraines.

amldaley
01-29-2011, 08:40 AM
I hated topamax too. The side effects were horrible.

I have tried Topamax twice and both times was a mess.

My neuro also advised it has limited success as a prophelactic for hormonal migraines.

I get my worst migraines with ovulation and then -1 day or day 1 of my cycle.

I get lots of other migraines and have multiple trioggers including foods and barometric pressure, but the worst are hormonal.

I have only found relief with (sometimes) Zomig, (sometimes) Maxalt & Midrin is good for taking the edge off.

I have been reading about Vitamin B therapy (mentioned above by pp) and think I am going to start looking in to vitamins and mineral supplements. Calciium is supposed to play a part in there somewhere, too.

WolfpackMom
01-29-2011, 09:56 AM
I have done topamax, inderall, and a few others. What's worked best is nursing, lol even being pregnant my head was a mess from hormone shifts. I do recall when I was younger and taking the depo shot for birth control that it helped since my periods stopped while on it. I have always taken progesterone only or low dose birth control when I have been on it because of my head. So if you are on regular birth control or none you may want to think about that. Right now I am dreading the day AF returns!

Eta forgot to add that at one point my neurologist was thinking I should try the estrogen patch during the couple days before my period and thru it but I never got that far because I got pregnant. I wasn't sure I wanted to go that route either. I have lots of triggers beside hormones as I have had them since age 6 and have been on every migraine pain reliever under the sun.

Melbel
01-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I have done topamax, inderall, and a few others. What's worked best is nursing, lol even being pregnant my head was a mess from hormone shifts. I do recall when I was younger and taking the depo shot for birth control that it helped since my periods stopped while on it. I have always taken progesterone only or low dose birth control when I have been on it because of my head. So if you are on regular birth control or none you may want to think about that. Right now I am dreading the day AF returns!

Agreed! Pregnancy and nursing really helped with my migraines. I could not take BCPs because it greatly exacerbated my migraines (tried many).

I should note that the riboflavin (vitamin B2) treatment also has significantly helped my DS with his frequency of migraines/headaches.

3blackcats
01-29-2011, 01:15 PM
I got the worst migraines on BCP's. I switched to the ring and they were much better. In only got one the day before my period, instead of multiple in the month. It was b/c with the ring I had a steady dose of hormones, not up and down like the pill.

alirebco
01-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Here is what has helped with my hormonal migraines:

Pregnancy
Nursing
Acupuncture
Diet - cutting out gluten, dairy, caffiene, alcohol, sugar, artificial sweeteners.

edurnemk
01-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Are you on the BCP? I could've written your post 5 years ago. I went of the pill and the migraines disappeared.

Indianamom2
01-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm sorry so many of you have/are dealing with the same thing though.

It's interesting how different things help different people. For instance, several of you mentioned being pregnant/nursing as helping you, but my headaches get way worse during pregnancy (which is initially what drove me to beg for something -Verapamil-during my pregnancy with Ds). Nursing didn't help either. My migraines seem to happen regardless of being on or off the pill, so I don't think that's the issue.

I also forgot to mention that I am allergic to one drug that I am aware of...Sulfa. I recently read somewhere that people who are allergic to sulfa drugs should take care with migraine meds as some are made from sulfonamides? (I think) or some derivitave of sulfa that some with allergies will react to (I believe Imitrex was one of them, but it's been a while since I read that). So I'm a little leary of that too...but I can't keep doing what I've been doing with all the Ibuprofen and Excedrin. I'm literally tearing my stomach to pieces.

I will definitely ask about the Riboflavin, as well as try to avoid Topomax! The Riboflavin sounds interesting and the least risky to try, perhaps.

amldaley
01-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm sorry so many of you have/are dealing with the same thing though.

It's interesting how different things help different people. For instance, several of you mentioned being pregnant/nursing as helping you, but my headaches get way worse during pregnancy (which is initially what drove me to beg for something -Verapamil-during my pregnancy with Ds). Nursing didn't help either. My migraines seem to happen regardless of being on or off the pill, so I don't think that's the issue.

I also forgot to mention that I am allergic to one drug that I am aware of...Sulfa. I recently read somewhere that people who are allergic to sulfa drugs should take care with migraine meds as some are made from sulfonamides? (I think) or some derivitave of sulfa that some with allergies will react to (I believe Imitrex was one of them, but it's been a while since I read that). So I'm a little leary of that too...but I can't keep doing what I've been doing with all the Ibuprofen and Excedrin. I'm literally tearing my stomach to pieces.

I will definitely ask about the Riboflavin, as well as try to avoid Topomax! The Riboflavin sounds interesting and the least risky to try, perhaps.

1) Are you SURE these are hormonal migraines?

2) I am also allergic to all sulfa meds, even the low molecular medicines. The meds I listed are all safe for those avoiding sulfas. You will need to surely avoid Imitrex and most of the meds with "trex" or "ex" endings as I have found most of those have sulfa.

Pennylane
01-29-2011, 06:26 PM
Mine were worse too when I was on the pill, but I had them once I went off. I take Imitrex for mine and it really helps!

Ann

Elilly
01-29-2011, 06:37 PM
My migraines are triggered in part by migraines. A preventative measure for migraines that has worked great for me is large doses of riboflavin (vitamin B-2) taken daily. It is water soluable (so it will not build up in your body), inexpensive and well tolerated. It has made a world of difference for me after numerous other prescriptions failed to help (topamax was the worst for me).

Recommended dose is 400 mg/day http://www.amazon.com/Source-Natural...5117989&sr=1-1

Studies have supported its effectiveness:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15257686
http://www.neurology.org/content/50/2/466.abstract

This is exactly what DH does. When he feels a migraine coing on, he also takes an ibuprofen and 1000 mg of GABA. Works like a charm :)

Melbel
01-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Just be sure to give Riboflavin some time to work. IIRC, I did not have immediate results, but did after a reasonable time. FWIW, I did not have problems with BCPs until after DD1, so be aware that your body can change. I hope the Riboflavin works!

MissAndi
01-29-2011, 11:34 PM
A big dose of caffeine has helped to keep mine at bay, and they are also hormonally triggered. I usually take whatever meds I'm going to take---Maxalt (not while PG), Excedrin (not while PG), or just simply a hot compress on the back of my head. I've noticed that it really helps.

I don't have caffeine every day, so a decent sized coffee or large coke usually does the trick...or at least takes the edge off.

Sorry to hear nothing's working. :/

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
01-30-2011, 12:14 AM
Caffeine and Origins On the Spot, applied on my eyebrows (do NOT get in your eyes). It's kinda like a Bengay for headaches. It takes the intensity down a notch or 2 and takes the edge off. Not a cure but it helps. I have been using it for YEARS!
http://www.origins.com/product/3821/11719/Bath-Body/Daily-Essentials/Sensory-Therapy/Peace-of-Mind/On-the-spot-relief/index.tmpl#BVRRWidgetID

Corie
01-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Another one here. I've tried so many preventives in so many doses (sometimes taking in excess of 50 pills/wk) that I might need a new liver soon.

This sounds like my situation too.
I've tried so many preventative drugs that I can't even remember all of them!

When I do get a migraine, I take Zomig.

Corie
01-30-2011, 08:50 AM
I have lots of triggers beside hormones as I have had them since age 6 and have been on every migraine pain reliever under the sun.

My good friend remembers me going home from kindergarten
with a headache.

I also have a handful of migraine triggers. It stinks!!

mousemom
01-30-2011, 10:51 PM
I got bad hormonal migraines. They developed when I was taking BC pills and then they got worse when we were TTC and I was off the pills. They went away when I was pg, but came back after DS was born. I now have a Mirena IUD for birth control and it also controls my migraines because of the constant low dose of hormones. When I first had it put in, I got like 3 migraines in the first 3 weeks, which was awful. But since then I've been migraine free. I've had some bad headaches that I can tell would have been migraines, but I'm able to get rid of them with OTC meds and relaxation. The migraines I used to get were scary - with flashing lights and compromised vision, so it's been a wonderful thing to not have to worry about them for almost 2 years now! My OB said some of her other patients have also reported that Mirena helped with hormone-related migraines.

sansdieu
01-31-2011, 12:41 AM
with a headache.

Yep, I remember being very very young (kindergarten age or younger, even) and my parents trying some herbal baths for me to soothe my headaches. They say there's a genetic component to those migraines, but not a single living relative has fessed up to having them yet.

jse107
01-31-2011, 11:53 AM
This sounds like my situation too.
I've tried so many preventative drugs that I can't even remember all of them!

When I do get a migraine, I take Zomig.

with a headache.

:yeahthat: Except that I take Imitrex. Magnesium is supposed to help too. http://www.thedailyheadache.com/2007/04/magnesium_migra.html

Also, I've noticed that my migraine frequency has greatly improved since I started Vitamin D. It's not scientific, but I thought I'd throw it into the discussion.

WolfpackMom
01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Yep, I remember being very very young (kindergarten age or younger, even) and my parents trying some herbal baths for me to soothe my headaches. They say there's a genetic component to those migraines, but not a single living relative has fessed up to having them yet.

Just about everyone has them in my family. Its the family curse. Some of us have them much worse than others, some outgrew them, some lost them with pregnancy or puberty (I wasnt so lucky). The plus side is, we all understand and are compassionate with eachother when someone has a headache!

Corie
01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Just about everyone has them in my family. Its the family curse. Some of us have them much worse than others, some outgrew them, some lost them with pregnancy or puberty (I wasnt so lucky). The plus side is, we all understand and are compassionate with eachother when someone has a headache!

This is our family curse too.
Maternal grandfather, my mom, my sister, my brother, myself.

My son has CVS (cyclic vomiting syndrome) which is part
of the migraine family.

But you are absolutely right about each other being compassionate
when someone has a headache.

c&j04
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm late to this but Mom swears by StressCare by Himalaya Herbal if you want an OTC. Mine are progressively getting worse and more frequent so I'll be using it soon.

Indianamom2
02-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I've gotten a lot of good ideas.

When I mentioned this to my family doctor, he recommended Verapamil again, since it worked beautifully while I was pregnant. I'm currently waiting for the pharmacy to get it back in stock.

I did ask him about the interaction with my anxiety med, but I'm weaning off that because I don't think it's working well. So hopefully Verapamil will do the trick again. If not, I'll try some of the other things mentioned here.