PDA

View Full Version : exposed to fifths disease...28 weeks pregnant. anyone BTDT?

okinawama
01-29-2011, 01:01 AM
I think my little boy has fifths. He hasn't been formally diagnosed yet, but as a formeer teacher, I really thnk that this is what it is. I am 28 weeks along, and plan on getting the lab work done ASAP, but in the mean time, has anyone walked in my shoes? As you can understand, I'm a wreck and sickened with worry.

mom2MandC
01-29-2011, 07:56 AM
So sorry to hear that your son may have fifths! But I just wanted to tell you that as a teacher, I was immune to fifths because my OB said I was exposed to it sometime (unknown to me) - and that most teachers that are immune - especially if you taught little kids. Although I taught 5th grade for 8 years. Also, I would call my OBGYN right away because they tested for immunity very early on 10 weeks maybe so maybe they have info for you. This is something they may just say everything is good and may not specifically say the result for fifths.

Hope you get some peace of mind soon!!!

Shannon

scrooks
01-29-2011, 02:48 PM
When I was pregnant with DS I thought I might have been exposed so I did some web research on it...now I'm not 100% sure if I remember this correctly but I thought after 20 weeks the risk to the baby was a lot less. I would definitely call your OB though and see what he or she recommends you do.

ahrimie
01-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Not to scare you the bejeezus out of you but I would go to the OB or call them. My SIL was exposed to it and felt like something was wrong but they didn't take her seriously.... unfortunately, 48 hours later, she had to induce labor. She was well into her 6th month or so.

okinawama
01-31-2011, 02:14 PM
I just got back from the OB's office and they sent me for some lab work to see if I've got the antibodies to fifth's. However, when I asked the lab guy how long it would take to get the results back he said a minimum of a week!? this seems like a long time to just sit and wait doesn't it?

cono0507
01-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Try to keep thinking positively. At least 50% of adults already have immunity to it and as a teacher, you have a high likelihood of being exposed and attaining immunity in the past. Fingers crossed you get good news from your bloodwork soon!
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/respiratory/parvo_b19.htm

Swallowbird23
01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
I am an elementary school nurse and just to help your nerves, Out of the 12-15 teachers I know who were pregnant or immune compromised when we had fifths Disease in the school, all of them were tested and were found to already be immune. Although this is no guarantee, you most likely are as well. I hope this calms your nerves a bit until you get the lab results

okinawama
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
I am an elementary school nurse and just to help your nerves, Out of the 12-15 teachers I know who were pregnant or immune compromised when we had fifths Disease in the school, all of them were tested and were found to already be immune. Although this is no guarantee, you most likely are as well. I hope this calms your nerves a bit until you get the lab results

this makes me feel better! thanks. Here's to hoping that all those kindergarten germs have exposed me in the past and given me immunity.

I'm still waiting to hear from my OB on exactly how long it will be to hear results as well as what we can in the mean time.