PDA

View Full Version : For Fun: Crazy Pregnancy Side-Effects

amm40
01-29-2011, 09:58 AM
So what's your favorite crazy or ridiculous pregnancy side-effect?

My current one is skin tags. I just recently realized I can pinch off the little ones with little or no bleeding. So why are they even there?! Of course the answer is crazy pregnancy hormones, but what's their purpose??? Oh, and I just found one growing in my eyelashes. If it gets bigger, it'll make eyeliner application REAL fun. And TMI, but last time I got them on my labia. Talk about your body never being the same...

scrooks
01-29-2011, 02:45 PM
NOTHING tastes right and everything leaves a bad after taste.

KLD313
01-29-2011, 05:02 PM
OMG I had a ton of skin tags all over my neck when I was PG but didn't know it was from being PG. They mysteriously disappeared except for one HUGE one on my inner thigh but I left a band-aid over it for a week and it went away.

s7714
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
My ironic side effect issue is that every pregnancy my keratosis pilaris (bumpy chicken skin) on the back of my upper arms completely disappears...but I also end up with zillions of skin tags in my under arm area. So I have baby smooth arms but it's a PITB to shave LOL!

amm40
01-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I didn't know about the band aid trick... Should come in handy!

KLD313
01-29-2011, 06:56 PM
I didn't know about the band aid trick... Should come in handy!

Yep, just use a big one so no air gets to it.

mjs64
01-29-2011, 08:04 PM
Carpal tunnel syndrome in these last weeks! No one told me I wouldn't be able to feel my fingertips! And yes to the skin tags, too.

littlebird
01-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Skin tags and food aversions. I could definitely do without both!

Myira
01-29-2011, 08:59 PM
:yeahthat: And thats my one of the least favourite side-effects. I am in a funk right now feeling constantly sick and nauseous.

happy2bamom
01-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Numbness in my thighs that would come and go. Oh and I could never forget the few, long dark hairs around my areola. Those were super attractive

scriptkitten
01-29-2011, 09:19 PM
i couldn't bear my husband's pheromones. if he even sat next to me i wanted to throw up, and trust me he doesn't smell bad in real life. its like my body knew his sperm infected me.

RunnerDuck
01-29-2011, 10:42 PM
I crave ice.

It has not been as bad this pregnancy as in the past - i think because it's really messed with my teeth so my subconscious KNOWS to take it easy... but when I was preg with my girls it was BAD. We took the hospital tour and there was this photo of Alaska with a big snow covered mountain and all these glaciers and I said to DH "That picture is making me so HUNGRY!!!" - I thought I had whispered but everyone turned and stared at me like I was completely insane.

I was eating 21+ pounds of ice a week with them. Seriously I was salivating at that picture.

The carpral tunnel part sucks... I get it post partum. When it happened after my son I thought I was developing MS! Luckily when it happened with my girls it still sucked but I didn't have the whole Dr Google OMG I have MS thing... I'm sure it will happen this time, too.

citymama
01-29-2011, 11:29 PM
Pretty much everything smelled like it was decomposing. I couldn't step out the door into my (very urban and restaurant filled) neighborhood without gagging or throwing up for MONTHS. I couldn't open the fridge without feeling sick. No coffee, onions or garlic permitted in the house. Oh, and I could smell peoples' breath when I passed them on the street and knew if they'd eaten one of those three things in the past day. All true, seriously. I was a nightmare to be around, and even harder to be me!

ahrimie
01-29-2011, 11:50 PM
My belly gets hairy by my belly button :( It's super gross and last time, I had DH wax it for me!

MamaMolly
01-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Oooooh with Lula I had XXX rated dreams. It was AWESOME.

ahrimie
01-30-2011, 12:59 AM
Oooooh with Lula I had XXX rated dreams. It was AWESOME.

Oh yeah.... I totally had those the first time around too!!! :P

goldenpig
01-30-2011, 01:29 AM
When I was pregnant, I lost my lactose intolerance. I was able to eat ice cream, cheese, even drink milk without a problem and without having to use Lactaid tablets. I was hoping it would continue, but alas I lost my superpower as soon as I delivered!

The other weird one was the constant whooshing sound I heard in one ear...apparently from the increased blood flow.

lizzywednesday
01-30-2011, 11:16 AM
I developed a very strong aversion to HFCS and zucchini.

I love zucchini.

The HFCS was a bonus; it made us more conscious of reading labels in general, so DH & I ate fewer processed foods. I am convinced DD is sensitive to it, so we don't have things with it in the house (she gets fussy if she eats it or nurses after I've eaten it.)

RunnerDuck
01-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Does anyone else find they don't get more hair on their belly, but what hair is there - even that light normal lanugo type stuff - gets crazy long??? If I pull my shirt up and look down it's like one of those crazy electric static balls they used to sell at spencers. It looks so weird, but it goes away after delivery.

hopeful_mama
01-30-2011, 04:12 PM
I can tell when I'm pregnant super early. I can definitely tell implantation, as anything that taps into my blood supply makes me weak & dizzy. I get a ton of other early symptoms, too. This means that I know all the times I'm technically pregnant but it doesn't even last the two weeks for a positive pregnancy test. DD took four cycles, two of them implanted but didn't last, one had no symptoms whatsoever. And on the last one, I could even tell before implantation (which sounded really crazy to me, until I did some research and found that the fertilized egg releases hormones to let the immune system know to not attack it, and some women are sensitive to this).

mezzona
01-30-2011, 04:25 PM
i couldnt use any hair conditioner. all conditioners smelled like dog's anal glands.

vonfirmath
01-30-2011, 05:29 PM

This!
EVERYTHING is tasting like soap.
Ugh

smilequeen
01-30-2011, 05:48 PM
The skin tags make me absolutely nuts. They are small but all over my neck. And the last time I accidentally scratched and one fell off I thought I was going to bleed to death.

And the 6 months of congestion this time...SO not fun.

ahrimie
01-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Does anyone else find they don't get more hair on their belly, but what hair is there - even that light normal lanugo type stuff - gets crazy long??? If I pull my shirt up and look down it's like one of those crazy electric static balls they used to sell at spencers. It looks so weird, but it goes away after delivery.

YESYES!! I posted that earlier.... I'm so glad I'm not the only one! It's all the fuzz that gets darker and longer!

mommylamb
01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
I could smell grapefruit from several aisles away when we would go grocery shopping... and I wanted them BADLY. I craved citrus fruit like no one's business.

The best pregnancy symptom was definitely the lack of hair on my legs. I didn't need to shave at all, which was a good thing, because I had a hard time reaching down that far.

amm40
01-30-2011, 11:28 PM
The best pregnancy symptom was definitely the lack of hair on my legs. I didn't need to shave at all, which was a good thing, because I had a hard time reaching down that far.

I can't believe I'm totally jealous of a pregnancy symptom. At least by the end, I know I won't CARE. But not having any would be better!

carolinamama
01-31-2011, 04:27 PM
The strangest side effect that I have had this time is that my hair is dryer - but not in a bad way. I usually wash my hair every other day but I've been washing it every 3rd day the last few weeks and it isn't oily or anything. If I washed everyday, I think it would be VERY dry and brittle, but I don't.

I have so many food aversions and can't stand lots of smells. I crave citrus. I've been eating so many oranges. That's all I can think of right now.

BabbyO
02-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I can't sit still in the 2nd & 3rd trimesters and I become a morning person. I walk every single day and the closer I get to my due date the more I walk. With DS I walked a half marathon (13 mi) at 7 mo pg and the morning I had him I walked about 5 mi.

MommytoEliana
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Lots of crazy, very vivid dreams. I feel like I am inhabiting numerous stories all the way through the night. Unfortunately, it means I don't feel as rested even after "sleeping" all night. Some of them are really interesting, though!

The weirdest one is that I have a strong aversion to CHOCOLATE! Other aversions I can understand, but that one? Crazy. On the plus side, maybe it will help limit my weight gain with this pregnancy.... On the other hand, anything pickled sounds delicious. :-)

rhettsmom
02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Enjoyed reading all of these...and laughed out loud at a few!

So I'll add mine.

Can't hardly stand to go to Walmart grocery shopping because EVERYBODY smells like they've doused an entire bottle of cologne or perfume on them. I can't handle all this perfume. I mean I HATE it!!! I can't let my husband put on his regular deo/antiperspirant because I can't handle the smell :)

XXX dreams - yeS!!

Drinking jars of (jalapeno stuffed olives) olive juice, and leaving the poor little olives all alone in the jar just to buy a new jar to drink. There are three in my fridge right now, and sadly none of them have any juice.

veronica
02-04-2011, 08:57 PM
I went through several weeks of eating a bag of cherries every night. They were so good. They haven't been on sale recently, so I have stopped. But, it totally helped with the insane constipation this time around.

I get itchy legs while I sleep. It sucks. It's an uncontrollable itch that awakens me and I almost scratch enough to draw blood.

this time.....I got um ....itchiness in another area. I was mortified to talk about it. Turns out, it happens due to a change in your Ph. Seriously, I have no issues with ob/gyn aptts. or delivering a child in front of people, but that conversation was tough!!!

HIU8
02-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I also lost my lactose intolerance. It was absolute bliss. I ate pizza like crazy.

The other thing was sciatica that lasted the entire last trimester. turns out DD was on my sciatic nerve and we could not get her to move. About a week before I delivered I could no longer walk more than about 10 feet (DH was seriously about to get a wheechair for me).

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2011, 10:21 PM
The fantastic leg cramps.

I have an ice addiction all the time but it was in high gear with ds2!

Beth

bubbaray
02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Skin tags -- still dealing with those and my youngest is now 4. The ones in the eyelashes and on my eyelids are sooooo attractive. Not.

Curly hair that went 2 shades darker with each baby. So freakin' weird. I want my old hair back. Please.

s7714
02-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Curly hair that went 2 shades darker with each baby. So freakin' weird. I want my old hair back. Please.

I completely forgot about that! My hair has gotten darker and darker too. So much so that my Dad actually asked if I'd dyed my hair when he saw me in the hospital after DD1 was born, and my Dad is totally not the type to even notice those kinds of things!

bisous
02-05-2011, 11:59 PM
Last pregnancy I got these weird old lady spots--on my FACE! Luckily the derm was able to excise them in an in office visit. Still!

This is a weird one--I can't dance. Even when the baby is a tiny little thing, my equilibrium is office and whereas I can normally cut a rug, I totally lose my rhythm! This time around there hasn't been any dancing though!

smiles33
02-06-2011, 12:16 AM
No one mentioned this yet: the third nipple that appears near my armpits!!! They fade once I wean, thankfully!

amm40
02-06-2011, 12:39 AM
No one mentioned this yet: the third nipple that appears near my armpits!!! They fade once I wean, thankfully!

:47: At the risk of making you feel worse, I have NEVER heard that one before... Um, glad it goes away! And if this were a contest, I'd be voting for you to win.

smiles33
02-06-2011, 01:38 PM
:47: At the risk of making you feel worse, I have NEVER heard that one before... Um, glad it goes away! And if this were a contest, I'd be voting for you to win.

LOL! Don't worry, i thought i had a cancerous tumor when I first saw it during my 2nd or 3rd trimester. Apparently there is a milk line from your breasts up to your armpits. When the hormones surge, previously unseen nipples can darken. Mine are smaller than a q-tip head/pencil eraser, and pretty circular. I actually once saw a drop of milk after a particularly strong letdown! :D