PDA

View Full Version : California Amtrak - anyone familiar?

new_mommy25
01-29-2011, 04:31 PM
We have to go to the DL area the weekend on June 23. DH was invited to the Disneyland Martial Arts tournament happening that week. We will probably do 1-2 days of something in the area. I don't know if I want to battle the crowds at Disney so we may opt for a water park or Knotts Berry Farm.

After that weekend we want to head up to Northern California. I have an Aunt in Stockton and my Dad in Lodi. We were thinking the Amtrak would be a fun option. We've always wanted to ride it and the fares are very reasonable compared to flying or driving. Any suggestions on what routes would be best? I have noticed that part of the way is serviced by bus. That doesn't sound as fun to me - although avoiding a bus seems a matter of choosing the right routes. Any advice?

We also are considering spending a night or two in San Francisco before flying home. Any advice on hotels that have a shuttle to the airport?

AnnieW625
01-30-2011, 09:24 PM
Amtrak does not go over the grapevine so you will take a bus from whatever station in Southern California to Bakersfield, so about 2/1/2 hrs or so on a bus from what I recall. Then you are on the train from Bakersfield to Stockton so about 4 hours. We did this a lot when my sister was younger than 4 yrs. old because traveling with a baby on train was easier than driving and having to stop and find a clean bathroom, but over the last 20 yrs. there have been a lot of improvements in bathroom stops and fast food along I-5 so it's a lot easier now than it was then.

If you want the true train experience then have you family meet you in San Francisco, and take the Coast Starlight straight to San Francisco, it takes about 8 to 9 hours, I think with stops and having to slow down between JNO of Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.

Driving wise it will take about 5 to 6 hours or so to get from Orange County to Stockton if you leave during non commute hours. Traffic on I-5 tends to be about 80 to 85 MPH in a 70 MPH zone, but always drive in the slow lane because those who speed in the fast lane are more likely to get tickets. If you take 99 I am not sure of the traffic speed patterns, but it's probably pretty similar.

I would do Disneyland over Knotts, and even though I have never been to Knotts (and I live about 10 minutes from it) I would much rather be stuck at a crowded Disney on a hot day, than a crowded Knotts on a hot day. Knotts comes across as slimy to me, although I have heard good things about Camp Snoopy for the kids.

For San Francisco BART goes straight to the airport, and you might be able to get a decent deal at a hotel near the airport vs. staying in the city, and navigating around San Francisco with public transportation (BART, and Muni) is quite easy. I would check Trip Advisor for hotels.