PDA

View Full Version : what have you cleared out recently?

elephantmeg
01-29-2011, 11:15 PM
continuation of the massive purge thread.
-I cleared out my desk and cleaned the top. Gave a group of lullaby CD's to a friend who is expecting her first baby
-DH worked through part of the office. 3 items for goodwill and a bag of trash out and some stuff to store upstairs. He went through 3 boxes of stuff so it looks better enough that DS noticed!
-I went through my jewelry (and got a new jewelry box) mine was from '95 maybe? and the top had broken off a while back. Put some to be donated, some for DD and organized a bunch more. I had gone through the jewelry a year or so ago so it wasn't too bad.
-I went through my sewing stuff (I made a lot of felt food for Christmas so it was all jumbled). I bought a sewing box (how did I not own a sewing box???) and a pin cushion so I no longer have needles floating around loose. I got the thread and embroidery floss under control and the felt. I think I went a little over board buying felt.
-I unloaded the last 28 or so CD's from a huge CD changer that no longer works and DH listed it and a tape deck on craigslist. The top of the entertainment center looks a ton better!
-re-did my menu plans to include freezer cooking again. Each week has 2 freezer meals and 2 crock pot meals which should help.
-I got rid of all the mini animal crackers, goldfish etc that the kids don't really eat. They much prefer a granola bar or something on the weekends for snack. During the week they aren't home until 5ish and we eat between 5:45-6:15 generally so they grab some fruit or a yogurt instead.

MamaMolly
01-30-2011, 12:15 AM
Not at home right now but you are such an inspiration! We are moving next fall and I plan to unload so, so, so much.

Great job, BTW! I feel lighter just reading it. :yay:

Uno-Mom
01-30-2011, 12:45 AM
I inherited my mom's piano today (!!!) so we had to make room.

This meant clearing out all the clutter around DS' drumset (yeah, we have a noisy house) and getting rid of several huge bins of old baby clothes/gear. I did a mondo consignment store trip & also donated a binful to a woman's shelter.

Because I can't leave well enough alone ... I also had to totally clear out Sprog's closet. Woot woot! Sorted out the bin of big girl clothes we're saving for future, and the outgrown stuff. Discovered a bunch of last-summer-garage-sale-finds that are now in her size.

It's like she has a whole new wardrobe and we have way more room in the house! Even with the new piece of furniture/instrument.

elephantmeg
01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
yeah! I love finding new wardrobes, it's happened to me several times.

elephantmeg
01-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Not at home right now but you are such an inspiration! We are moving next fall and I plan to unload so, so, so much.

Great job, BTW! I feel lighter just reading it. :yay:

thanks! we still have so, so, so much more to go

RunnerDuck
01-30-2011, 11:59 PM
I am working on dividing up and hopefully selling off the contents of the two large plastic bins I have been storing the girls' clothes in. I have them seperated by size, I am taking pics, going to put on CL and see what happens. Working on it...

In addition to that today I boxed up an old sewing machine I keep trying to sell on CL with no luck along with an old wooden sewing chest with all the accessories to said machine, going to find an antique store to take it. If I can do consignment that would be awesome. If I just know it gets a good home, that's good, too. It's a neat machine, it's from 1948... but I never use it, I need it out of here!

Once that was done I got my plastic 3-drawer thing that I use for modern sewing stuff, moved it off my chest of drawers and onto my other sewing machine, where the wooden box was.

Made a pile of various vintage sewing things I am going to try to sell on Ebay (anyone looking for vintage singer feet? )

And cleaned out the "random stuff container" that lives on our counter between the blender and the fruit bowl. It's this blue plastic square holder from a page a day calendar that holds, well, random stuff. It has become a towering pile, though. About 1/3 I threw out. About 1/3 I found a better place for. So now what's left all fits inside the container and it looks 5,000 times better.

KrisM
01-31-2011, 12:17 AM
I finally listed things on CL and sold a couple. I have photos taken of a few more and will get those up somewhere this week.

I went through 2 kitchen drawers to clean the drawer and neaten up the contents. I got rid of a few things from each.

I am mailing my registration for a mom2mom sale tomorrow. Sale is in March, so I have about 6 weeks to gather toys, clothes, etc to sell!

GvilleGirl
01-31-2011, 12:30 AM
Two HUGE bags of clothes! 100 pieces of stuff inspired by the YHL 100 things (http://www.younghouselove.com/2010/11/100-things/) . We sold our old desk and couch on CL, but our new couch comes tomorrow!!!

bigpassport
01-31-2011, 12:50 AM
We hope to be moving soon, so I have been working on purging. i've accomplished:

--Cleaned out the junk closet, donated two boxes of misc (gifts I kept to regift, craft items I'll never use or are easily replaceable, ugly candle holders and picture frames, etc.). Organized misc cables, cords, electronic doo-dads, etc. into separate plastic shoebox size containers. Boxed up items I know I won't use for the next few months.
--Cleaned out the food storage and pantry, tossed expired foods, and made lists of canned foods that we need to use. Made a list in my smartphone of items I need to make recipes/meals out of things I need to use up.
--Cleaned out freezer, tossed yucky things and made a list of freezer meals we need to use and put the list on the front of the refrigerator.
--Sorted cookbooks, donated about half, sorted the rest into ones I might use soon, and the others I boxed up.
--Got DH to sort through garage with me, tossed junk, donated stuff we won't use, and boxed up a few things.
--Cleaned out makeup drawer and bathroom cabinets.

With the exception of the junk closet, all these little jobs took way less time than I anticipated.

elephantmeg
01-31-2011, 03:25 AM
wow! love the YHL link, thanks! And I must make a list of what I have in the freezer. We're having some water leakage issues in our top freezer so it is pretty much cleared out until we figure out what is in it which means the chest freezer is pretty full. Ugh. I'm also working on clearing out the pantry stuff. I have a shelf upstairs that holds some pantry items and I think I'd like to downsize enough not to have it anymore. I could really use it for books...

this week's plan:
-find something to put a huge bag of salt into (DH bought some water softner salt to use in the ice cream maker-a whole huge bag of it ugh). I'm thinking a lidded bucket.
-continue working in the "office"-really part of the living room-I'd like to have it done by the next time the housecleaner comes (2/11). By done I mean the floor cleared off and DH's desk at least some better!
-clear out the china cupboard and "balance it"-the stuff inside it shakes anytime you walk heavily near it so something isn't right
-get the valentine's decorations out :)
-get estimate on having a bathroom cupboard made. We've got it mostly sketched out and FIL works at a custom cabinet shop.