PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a creamy-licious dairy free mac-n-cheese

amldaley
01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Okay, so...not to brag but...I CAN'T STOP EATING THIS. DH just had to pull the dish away from me at the table.

Now, I will say this is a great BASIC recipe. I can see spicing it up, I can see adding more salt and even playing with the amino's and vinegar to try to tang it up a bit.

I also made sauteed onions and am mixing them together on my plate.

I need to hurry and type this up so I can go get some more...

...must. eat. more. mac. and. cheese.

1 box favorite elbow mac (we are currently using Ronzoni Smart Taste as it is calcium enriched)

3 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs whole wheat flour
2 cups coconut milk or almond milk (unsweetened)
4 Tbs nutritional yeast
2 heavy Tbs minced garlic
2 heaping big Tbs sesame tahini
1 1/2 tsp sea salt (+more?)
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs Braggs Aminos (or maybe sub dijon mustard or Worchestershire sauce?)
A healthy dose of smoked paprika (maybe 2 tsp? more?)
1-2 Tbs your favorite margarine (I used Earths Balance)

Follow box directions for pasta and do not overcook! (I do mine for 7 minutes)

Preheat the oven at 385 degrees). (I actually pre-heat a little higher)

In a small saucepan heat the olive oil, add the flour and stir.

Add the coconut or almond milk, garlic, tahini, pressed garlic, salt, nutritional yeast, aminos, vinegar, margarine, paprika. Stir constantly over medium heat until sauce-like thickiness develops. Continue to stir the sauce on medium for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

Lightly oil a 9 x9 cassarole dish. Pour cooked mac in and pour sauce over the top. Move it around to make it evenly distributed. OPTIONAL: sprinkle bread crumbs over top. Heat uncovered in oven for 12-14 minutes. You may need to throw the broiler on for a minute or two to brown your bread crumbs.

And, as always....serve with a green vegetable.

mama2g03
02-01-2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks for this recipe! It kills me to make mac and cheese for everyone else and not get to eat any myself. I will have to try this soon.