PDA

View Full Version : Need help cleaning my carpet-the green steam way

diamond
01-31-2011, 01:39 PM
I have a 23 month old DD so want to clean my carpets(majority of the house) with as asafe as possible material. I am thinking just steam to clean carpet. all the steam cleaning companies out there near my area do use some chemicals to saturate your carpet and all their machines have some sort of cleaner in them.

Is it possible to find a company which uses just plain water and NOthing else to clean carpets? any recommenations? have you guys used any yourself? what do you guys think of getting a steam carpet cleaner and using just steam myself? if that is aa good idea which steamer for carpet is good? ty

jvs195
02-01-2011, 01:16 PM
We have local companies that advertise "green" no chemicals so you might want to research your area. We own a steam cleaner and I use a mixture of vinegar, water and a little mild soap (Dr. Bronners of Charlie's) Sometimes I just use the vinegar and water. The smell goes away once it dries.

mjs64
02-02-2011, 03:12 AM
I've had luck renting a Rug Doctor and using a mixture of hot water and vinegar. I thought it would be too much work to do it myself, but the advantage was that I knew I was taking my time, doing an extra thorough job. After using the mixture, I went over the carpet again with plain hot water. I turned up my water heater thermometer that day to get the water extra hot.

RunnerDuck
02-02-2011, 09:26 AM
When we had carpet all over, and a carpet cleaner that worked (the suction has gotten questionable now) - I pretty much only used hot water to clean, and it did a decent job. I only used the soap when it was something really gross to clean. (and then I diluted it more than suggested, not out of safety concerns but to prevent build up)

You can find companies that claim safe use - and I think some do just use steam - but you can also do it yourself.

alirebco
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Check out Chem Dry. It was the only mainstream carpet company I was willing to use in our house and I am super anal about not having any chemical cleaners. If I recall correctly they only use water and carbonation?

diamond
02-03-2011, 03:04 PM
which steam cleaner for carpet would you recommend? ty

WolfpackMom
02-03-2011, 03:06 PM
We have a hoover steamclean that was only like $130 at Walmart and works great. The last time I used it I just used hot water (it also heats the water in it) and it was effective but I did spot treat a few stains with carpet cleaner and then went over them to rinse with the hoover.