PDA

View Full Version : How to go about designing closets?

momm
02-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Our closets are not at all spacious. The space we do have, is not fully used. There's just a rod to hang clothes and a shelf high up, which I can't fully use as I'm short.

No place to keep folded clothes, underwear etc.

I got a hanging rack similar to this one:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10154558

But it's still not a permanent, good solution. It sags after a bit.

So my question is, if you were to design a closet, how would you go about it? Calling a professional over would be too expensive for me.

Any ideas? Talk to me!

momm
02-02-2011, 12:32 PM
hmmm anyone?

BabyBearsMom
02-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I haven't done this yet, but am thinking about using the Container store Elfa system: http://www.containerstore.com/elfa/designCenter/index.htm

You can design your closet with that link, very fun and they price it for how much it would cost for you to install or for them to install.

hillview
02-02-2011, 01:03 PM
I'd go to California Closet (they will do a free consult in your house and make suggestions) if you have one near you and also the Container Store. Gardenweb has a LOT of posts on closet layout. Container Store/Elfa has a build your closet app on their website which works well.

Good luck!
/hillary

stonecali
02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
We had a couple quotes from the Closet Organizer system people that come to your home - they were $$$$!!!

We decided to move but I was seriously looking at Home Depot for their DIY closet systems. Here is an example of one of them.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100655017/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Just type in John Louis to the search box on their website and it pulls up all the different systems and add ons (the link above just shows one).

That brand is new since we were thinking about it... the one we were looking at was Closetmaid. They have a design program on the Home Depot website and you put in your closet measurements then you build your system and then print out a list of what you need to buy at the store. If the link below doesn't work, type in CLOSETMAID to the search box.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=KH_BP_SO_ClosetMaid_Brand&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&navFlow=3&searchRedirect=closetmaid&cm_sp=searchredirect-_-closetmaid_brand_Page-_-x-_-x&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&locStoreNum=6647

sunnyside
02-02-2011, 03:23 PM
When I was 9 and a half months pregnant, we went to Home Depot and I sat in the floor nearly crying while DH picked out the pieces to make baby's closet nice. He asked me to point at what I wanted and tell him how I wanted it to be and he would set it up. THen came home and I sat in the glider while he put it all together and I directed. It wasn't THAT expensive and I LOVE it.

momm
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM
thank you ladies!!!!! I knew I could count on you guys!!

When I was 9 and a half months pregnant, we went to Home Depot and I sat in the floor nearly crying while DH picked out the pieces to make baby's closet nice.

Wait why were you crying? Your post made me sad!

fedoragirl
02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
We used the easy closet system online. It was the most efficient and reasonably priced way to build our closet. We plugged in the existing closet's dimensions into their software (you don't download; everything is online). You design the closet, and ask a human to review. They get back to you within 2 days with other suggestions. In our case, we went with what I had designed with the dimensions tweaked a little. I have never regretted this purchase. I wish I could do it in every bedroom.

niccig
02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Just make sure it's adjustable. Most of DS's shelves aren't adjustable and I just hate it.

craftysierra
02-02-2011, 08:03 PM
We just did my girls closet. This house has small closets and I knew I wanted it to be adjustable so I used these
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=100519844&R=100519844

Cheap and very easy.

Sierra

Sweetum
02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
I'd go to California Closet (they will do a free consult in your house and make suggestions) if you have one near you and also the Container Store. Gardenweb has a LOT of posts on closet layout. Container Store/Elfa has a build your closet app on their website which works well.

Good luck!
/hillary

:yeahthat: We actually had a cal closet rep come over and design it for us. It's a different matter that due to other challenges in that closet we evetually let cal closet do the job. For our 2nd room, though, I designed a very simple closet. It has 2 sliding doors and no partition inside. Like yours, it just had a shelf and a rod. We removed both and ordered a closet from Storables when they had their 25% off a couple of years ago. This is the design: If you slide open the closet door to your left, you'll see 2 rods for hanging, one about 7ft high and the other about 3.5 feet high. If you slide open the door to your right you have about 7 shelves all of the same size. The top most shelf extends to the other side making it one big shelf for rarely accessed stuff. We didn't want it to be fancy because this is in a guest bedroom, and wanted something that would maximize space utilization with minimal cost. Adding drawers etc always complicates the design and drives up cost. HTH

citymama
02-03-2011, 02:33 AM
Bookmarking this thread. I love the Elfa and Home Depot options - and HD actually sounds affordable!

WatchingThemGrow
02-03-2011, 07:42 AM
We just did my girls closet. This house has small closets and I knew I wanted it to be adjustable so I used these
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&productId=100519844&R=100519844

Cheap and very easy.

Sierra
:yeahthat: I bought 4-5 sets of these when I purchased this house 8 years ago. My closets are small, so I was able to stretch a pack to almost cover 2 closets. You just need 3 poles for a small closet then cut what you need to design it the way you like it. As the DC grow, I hang a lot, then will switch it to shelving for games/toys, then switch them around again if I put something big in the bottom, etc. LOVE these and will do the same thing at the next house.

marie
02-04-2011, 02:59 PM
We used the easy closet system online. It was the most efficient and reasonably priced way to build our closet. We plugged in the existing closet's dimensions into their software (you don't download; everything is online). You design the closet, and ask a human to review. They get back to you within 2 days with other suggestions. In our case, we went with what I had designed with the dimensions tweaked a little. I have never regretted this purchase. I wish I could do it in every bedroom.

:yeahthat:

We've used easyclosets for 3 different closets - 1 walk-in and 2 small reach-ins. We really like them and I can't wait to finish the closets in our current house using them.

http://www.easyclosets.com/

When we were pricing the walk-in, we had CA closets come and give us a quote. One thing that the designer had me do was fold a shirt (t-shirt) to see how much width my folding technique creates. That way she could determine how wide the shelves needed to be. HTH