PDA

View Full Version : Stay or go?

ewpmsw
02-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I really like my midwives and felt very supported during my pregnancies, but I am disappointed with the practice overall. Over the past year, things have happened and I chalked them up to the business being in transition (lots of staff turnover, new midwives coming on, one leaving). It's been over a year and things are still disorganized. I am polite when I am there or on the phone with the staff. To the best of my knowledge, I haven't ticked anyone off. I don't think any of the stuff below has been personal and I don't think they're avoiding me. If you get through all the stuff below, TIA for feedback. I've referred a lot of women to this practice and recommended it's midwives on line - I've received and seen negative feedback on some of the same issues I'm sharing, so I know it's not just me. I'm sorry this is so long. I'm all postpartumy and whiney and get a little type-happy when I have time on line without small children around.

Prenatal:
- Doctor brought three residents in to observe transvaginal ultrasound without discussing it with me or explaining who they were. (I introduced myself when they walked in on me with legs in stirrups.) The lubricant he used for this ultrasound was hot, not warm. When I said it was too hot, female resident felt it and agreed. Doc's take: "Well, it's in there now." Midwife apologized and said I should let her know about these kinds of things.

- Prenatal appointment was delayed because midwife was in L&D. Nurse put toddler and I in an exam room, saying she'd be back in a minute with toys to keep DD quiet. Then she left to work in another office for the day. An hour and a half later, I asked a different nurse if we could reschedule and she found the practice doc to do the exam. She never spoke to me, just turned around and got the Doc. At my next appointment, the nurse who'd left me hanging said the front desk staff should have told me the midwife couldn't make it to the appointment. No apology. Pretty clear that people on the staff aren't thrilled with one another.

- 37 weeks pregnant during a very hot summer. Lots of strong Braxton-Hicks contractions, more than enough every hour to meet the "call the midwife if..." criteria from our prenatal info. No return phone call for two business days, plus the weekend. Called on a Monday and was told the nurse and midwives never got the messages.

Postpartum:
- Phone calls to schedule postpartum follow-up not returned until I spoke to the office manager.

- Phone calls to request nurse consult not returned without three follow-up calls. This was over a three-week period. IMO, I am a patient of this practice and call during business hours, so it's reasonable to expect a return call within 48 hours. Because of a previous "we're in transition, please tell me about problems so we can address them" conversation, I emailed my midwife about the unreturned calls. She said she didn't know what I wanted her to do. Um, figure out why communicating with this office is so difficult? I haven't responded because I feel pretty ridiculous at this point. One or two things in a year are no biggie, but it seems like communication is still a problem for this practice. I guess I know I should move on, but am finding it hard to let the midwife part of it go. They were excellent when we were in direct contact, delivered my babies and were wonderful then, too. I don't want to start all over again with a new practice. :(

BabyBearsMom
02-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I would look for another practice that I liked. I would not be able to deal with the hot mess you described.

LMPC
02-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Sorry, I know you said that you don't want to start all over again with a new practice, but several of the things you mentioned would be deal breakers for me. And I am sorry that you had to put up with them! My inclination would be to go, since it doesn't seem that they value you as a patient. That's just my .02. I think there are many practices out there that would allow you to have a more rich and comfortable experience.
:hug:

AshleyAnn
02-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Wow. I wouldn't stay. They don't respect you as a patient.

My OB never brought people into the room when I was in the stirups even if we were expecting them. Its simply respect for the patients privacy and I would be upset if my OB disrespected my privacy like that.

I was 'forgotten' once in an exam room but there was an emergency in another room and my OB and nurses were all very very apoligetic about it. Playing pass the blame is immature and another sign they don't respect you as a patient.

I would have expected calls to be returned promptly. As in hours. Days? No way - I would have been calling the emergency number to complain. Your midwive's responce is unacceptable.

ETA: I would email the midwife and let her know why you're leaving her practice.

s7714
02-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I'd be looking for a new practice without hesitation.

Just because they were/are "in transition" doesn't negate the importance of your medical care. Unreturned phone calls are unacceptable, IMO. Clearly they are not putting their patients first.

I've never had a Dr. not ask first about bringing in other people for or during an exam. That was very unprofessional. The comment regarding the temperature of the gel could have been handled better too, even if he was right in that there's not much that can be done once it's already "in there". ;)

The only situation I'd say wouldn't overly bother me is when the prenatal appointment was delayed because the midwife was in L&D because some days just have scheduling issues all around at practices. BUT you were far more patient than I would have been! I wouldn't have waited an hour and a half before asking to be rescheduled!

I understand starting over at a new practice could be intimidating, but keep in mind you could find a place you like even better!

Edensmum
02-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Wow. I wouldn't stay. They don't respect you as a patient.

My OB never brought people into the room when I was in the stirups even if we were expecting them. Its simply respect for the patients privacy and I would be upset if my OB disrespected my privacy like that.

I was 'forgotten' once in an exam room but there was an emergency in another room and my OB and nurses were all very very apoligetic about it. Playing pass the blame is immature and another sign they don't respect you as a patient.

I would have expected calls to be returned promptly. As in hours. Days? No way - I would have been calling the emergency number to complain. Your midwive's responce is unacceptable.

ETA: I would email the midwife and let her know why you're leaving her practice.

This, is how I feel too. Walking people in while the patient is undressed is just crappy and disrespectful period. No returned calls on something potentially serious is a huge problem. It should be a couple of hours tops on something like that. The rest is a pain, and if they had been apologetic, then that would be one thing, but not taking your concerns seriously and blowing you off, is very rude and disrespectful. I would write a letter explaining why I was leaving and do so.

mjs64
02-02-2011, 02:54 AM
- Doctor brought three residents in to observe transvaginal ultrasound without discussing it with me or explaining who they were. (I introduced myself when they walked in on me with legs in stirrups.) :(

This, and the fact that they don't seem to respond at all to your concerns, are, as PPs have said, dealbreakers for me. It totally sucks though that that means you'll have to switch practices. It forces you to find out whether the "devil you know is better than the one you don't," KWIM? Lame!

I would, as PP suggested, tell them in writing that you're leaving and why. I'd write a letter and consider sending it to several staff members/doctors, not an email. It sounds like, given your patience so far, you'd be gracious in the letter (though they don't deserve it). Maybe then they'll start listening to their patients.

ewpmsw
02-03-2011, 02:20 PM
[QUOTE=s7714;3024079] The only situation I'd say wouldn't overly bother me is when the prenatal appointment was delayed because the midwife was in L&D because some days just have scheduling issues all around at practices. BUT you were far more patient than I would have been! I wouldn't have waited an hour and a half before asking to be rescheduled!QUOTE]

ITA with this. I expect appointments to be delayed and have had to wait before. I know other patients had to wait because of me! My issue with waiting so long is that I was told the midwife would be coming. When I looked for someone at the front desk, there wasn't anyone up there. In hindsight, I should have just walked out. The one appointment I didn't have a babysitter...

Thanks for all the feedback on this. Rereading it, I feel pretty silly. Thanks for letting me vent.

barkley1
02-04-2011, 08:07 AM
Sounds unprofessional to me. And, I'm in disbelief over them not returning your phone calls when you were 37 weeks pregnant. That's a deal breaker for me. I'd find someone else. What you see "from the outside" is only the tip of the iceberg as to what mess is going on in that office; I'd be afraid my care as patient would suffer (even more!).

boltfam
02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
I would definately go, too. It stinks to have to start the search all over again, but it sounds like they don't value you at all. GL!