PDA

View Full Version : WWYD-- vacation option?

BeachBum
02-01-2011, 09:45 PM
DH and I have an opportunity for our first weekend way without kids in 5 years. Talk about excited!

The options are
1) drive 5 hours, use hotel points at great looking hotel, enjoy supposedly awesome outdoor artshow-- weather that should allow us to be poolside.

2) drive 2 hours, use hotel points at hotel (very corporate)--have visited the area numerous times and enjoyed it, plenty of shopping and nightlife--weather not good enough for poolside
2b) same destination but pay for a B&B so that we feel luxurious with our accommodations

Obviously #1 would be the choice, except for the drive. YUCK. I feel like we would spend so much of our time driving.

which would you choose?

hillview
02-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Me personally I'd do the 2 hr and B&B. Esp for a weekend -- 10 hrs is a lot of driving time I'd rather spend at a restaurant etc.
/hillary

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
At first I was going to say 10 hours is too much for a weekend but last year my friend and I drove 4 hours for our getaway and it just didn't feel that long. Good conversation. Since we were getting away to hang out together sans kids it worked! The only hesitation I have is that it's both of you and you are both that far from the kids if you wind up being urgently needed.

Beth

bigpassport
02-02-2011, 12:11 AM
I'd pick the more desirable location. I guess it depends a little on what your schedule is. What is the timeframe?

wellyes
02-02-2011, 12:24 AM
I'd do #1 if you can arrange it that you drive Friday night and wake up at the hotel on Saturday morning. If you have a full Saturday from breakfast to bed plus most of Sunday, that'd be worth it.

If you'd have to spend a half day Saturday driving to get there to do #1, I'd skip it and go for #3.

HannaAddict
02-02-2011, 05:00 AM
At first I was going to say 10 hours is too much for a weekend but last year my friend and I drove 4 hours for our getaway and it just didn't feel that long. Good conversation. Since we were getting away to hang out together sans kids it worked! The only hesitation I have is that it's both of you and you are both that far from the kids if you wind up being urgently needed.

Beth

Yeah, that. The drive would pass quickly I bet. We always seem to have kids with us so don't really talk about all topics, even news, etc. that isn't kid friendly. Or a tiny voice we thought wasn't listening will pipe up with a question about the Egypt situation or something. So, five hours and sunshine on the other end would be great and talking is one on one time, or even golden silence in the car is nice for a change of pace.

I am not a B & B person so if you do the closer area, I would stay in a nice corporate hotel, hope for decent room service and go out on the town. No way do I want to socialize with senior citizens over waffles the next morning or hear and know everyone who is staying there when I only have a precious weekend away. Have fun.