PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend supplements to relief PMS symptoms

mom2akm
02-02-2011, 01:57 AM
I'm thinking I need to take some supplements to relief my PMS symptoms: my major complains are extreme irritability and cravings. I'm already taking multi-vitamins, calcium and fish oil everyday. Please recommend any supplement (and the brand) that has worked for you.

TIA.

Twoboos
02-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Bumping this, I'd like to hear suggestions too!

I am trying to up my Vit D around PMS time. I have also been drinking an Emergen-C each day. Don't know if it's helping... you'd have to ask DH and DDs. :rotflmao:

speo
02-02-2011, 10:37 PM
This probably isn't the supplement you are talking about, and maybe it isn't possible for you to take it now ... but going on the pill was a true miracle for me. It has wiped out all PMS and my long and horrible periods. It has helped me so much that I am scared and really unsure if going off it to TTC #3 is worth it. I fought taking it for many many years, and I can't believe how much it has helped me (and my family). I hope you can find some help! And I look forward to any other replies should I go off it in the future.

daisymommy
02-02-2011, 10:38 PM
500 mg. Evening Primrose Oil starting with day 14-15 of your cycle, and continue until the day you start your period.

Or for some women that isn't enough, and they need a blend. This one is highly reccomended by my midwives group, and a Naturopathic physician that I know. I haven't tried it yet because I'm still nursing (contraindicated while BF).

Natrol http://www.natrol.com/prod_women.aspx?prod=168

mom2akm
02-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Thank you so much, PP. I'm going to try the evening primose oil. The pill sounds like a good alternative but I'm afraid of the possible side effect. I may try it as a last resort. Thanks again!

DebbieJ
02-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Thank you for posting this. I had BAD irritability this month and need to do something about it.

The Natrol PMS Control is only $6.09 on Vitacost.com. Right now they have free shipping on orders over $49.

Tondi G
02-04-2011, 05:59 PM
EPO is a good thing for PMS and you might consider a Cal/Mag supplement too.

I used to take a supp. called "Fem PMS" made by Metagenics . the ingredient list is

* Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) 67 mg
* Vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine HCl) 25 mg
* Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5 D-calcium pantothenate) 25 mg
* Magnesium (citrate/glycinate) 67 mg
* Choline (bitartrate) 50 mg
* Taurine 100 mg
* A 5:1 herbal extract blend of: Bupleurum Root (Bupleurum chinese), Chinese Peony Root (Paeonia lactiflora), Don Quai Root (Angelica sinensis), Bai-Zhu Atractylodes (Atradtylodes macrophala), Poria Sclerotium (Poria cocos), Ginger Rhizome (Zingiber officinale), Chinese Licorice Root (Glycyrhiza uralensis), Chinese Mint Leaf (Mentha haplocalyx) 667 mg
* Microcrystalline cellulose, cellulose, stearic acid, croscarmellose sodium, silica, modified cellulose coating. Free of wheat gluten, corn protein, yeast, soy, animal or dairy products, artificial colors, sweeteners or preservatives.

DebbieJ
02-18-2011, 05:17 PM
500 mg. Evening Primrose Oil starting with day 14-15 of your cycle, and continue until the day you start your period.

Or for some women that isn't enough, and they need a blend. This one is highly reccomended by my midwives group, and a Naturopathic physician that I know. I haven't tried it yet because I'm still nursing (contraindicated while BF).

Natrol http://www.natrol.com/prod_women.aspx?prod=168

I am using the PMS Control by Natrol that daisymommy recommended and IT WORKS!!!!! By this point in my cycle, I am usually a raving lunatic, but this month I feel much more in control. Wow!

Thanks for the rec!

daniele_ut
02-18-2011, 09:28 PM
When are you taking it? I noticed the directions say to start taking it 5 days before your period.

I have PMDD and was on SSRIs, but I would really rather address it more naturally.