PDA

View Full Version : Can I take cold medicine while breastfeeding?

AnimalBabe
02-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Hi! I have had a bad cold for over a week now and the cough is the worst part. I've barely slept the past 3 nights b/c I cannot stop coughing. I asked my pediatrician's nurse what I could take while breastfeeding and she said they could only recommend sudafed, and not to take Robitussion. However, I looked it up on safefetus.com and it says "do not give Sudafed to a breastfeeding mother!" It does not say the same for Robitussin. What have you all been told? Will all medicines pass to the baby? Thanks.

chottumommy
02-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Check KellyMom site. It has a lot of info on what you can take while breasfeeding. However do remember that your supply could dip a little depending on what you take even if is safe to take.

veronica
02-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Some are rated low risk and others are higher risk. It is your personal preference and you might want to discuss it with your doctor. My current practice gave me a list of medicine that is ok but my practice with DD had said only tylenol (reg. strength) and tums are ok.

mezzona
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
i go by the kellymom website.
http://bit.ly/IxIfq

tarahsolazy
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
None of the cold medicines will get to your baby in a big enough dose to effect the baby. However, sudafed, which 'dries up' your nose when you are congested, can 'dry up' your milk supply as well, at least temporarily. That may be why the reference you are looking at says no.

Dextromethorphan, a cough suppressant, is very safe, rated L1 by Hale's Medications in Mother's Milk. Look for a product that has only that, no others. Guaifensin, which I believe is the active ingredient in plain Robitussin, is also rated pretty safe, L2, but Dextromethorphan is better, both for efficacy, and safety profile.

Delsym is just the Dextromethorphan, and I think there are others, but you have to read labels.

I wish all cold meds had only one ingredient each.

AnimalBabe
02-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Well I took Robitussin two nights now before I went to bed and my son woke up all frantic and screaming and wouldn't go back to sleep for hours. Is there caffeine in this stuff?? I think I took the nondrowsy kind though. I know that's what affected him. I don't know what's a more natural solution to making me feel better. I took advil and that seemed to help me feel better but I worry about taking anything.

Uno-Mom
02-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Well I took Robitussin two nights now before I went to bed and my son woke up all frantic and screaming and wouldn't go back to sleep for hours. Is there caffeine in this stuff?? I think I took the nondrowsy kind though. I know that's what affected him. I don't know what's a more natural solution to making me feel better. I took advil and that seemed to help me feel better but I worry about taking anything.

That's awful. Poor you, poor kid. I feel for you!

We stopped nursing about a month ago and I'm in the middle of my first big cold since. It's really nice to be able to take things that actually help my symptoms now!

The Kellymom link really helped me research the different choices, back when I needed it. If you hunt around, you'll find a list of all the meds and explanations about why they are or aren't recommended.