PDA

View Full Version : what to serve for 8 adults, 2/3kids - NO chicken...and "eh" on pork

lmh2402
02-03-2011, 12:16 PM
we're having friends over soon

two of them do not eat chicken

they also don't really love pork... and they're not roasts kind of people either

i'm thinking i may have to default to lasagna

but i feel like that is almost all i serve when these particular people come over

any other ideas?

they are BIG fish eaters, which is great in a smaller setting...but i can't envision it for a larger group

thanks

mezzona
02-03-2011, 12:26 PM
how about baked salmon? that should be easy enough for 8. might have to make something else for the kids that can function as a side for adults.

DietCokeLover
02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
You could do a Beaufort Stew.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beaufort-Stew/Detail.aspx

The traditional Lowcountry South Carolina way to serve this is on a long table covered in brown paper... just pour it out directly onto the middle of the table and dig in.

If you're not up for eating off the table like that, you can certainly serve it in bowls with some nice crusty bread.

fauve01
02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
how about baked salmon? that should be easy enough for 8. might have to make something else for the kids that can function as a side for adults.

I would do salmon too. we have it once a week anyway, so i would just buy extra for 8. my dd likes it, but in would check with the other parents to see about their kids. I would make pasta with butter one of my sides so that would cover all the kids we know!

anne + dd 10-03

LMPC
02-03-2011, 02:11 PM
What about shepard's pie! You can even make it the night before! PM me if you want my recipe, but I'm sure there are others out there that are just as good ;)

Mermanaid
02-03-2011, 02:21 PM
I know you said they aren't roast people, but my sister shared an Italian Sandwich recipe that is absolutely delicious and way easy because it cooks in the crockpot.

Any kind of roast
1 can cream of mushroom
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 jar of sliced pepperoncinis (including liquid)
1 cup of italian dressing

Mix together cook all day. Serve on crusty sandwhich rolls and if you want melt cheese on the top under the broiler. Easy and delicious.

wendibird22
02-03-2011, 02:27 PM
We love Emeril's shrimp creole recipe and kids will often eat the rice w/o the shrimp. We've used frozen and fresh shrimp (even the bitty frozen shrimp in a pinch) and it tastes fine either way.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/shrimp-creole-recipe/index.html

Jen841
02-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Mexican - tacos? encilladas?

Green Chili with pork in the crockpot - it is not "porky"

Chili

Baked potatoes with a variety of toppings - can do the same with mashed potatoes

crl
02-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Sliders? Those are kind of fun. Then oven roasted potatoes and sweet potatoes, green beans and Mac n cheese?

Catherine

veronica
02-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Can you go for more casual and set up a big display for fajitas?

Cook chicken, beef and even fish and set up all the toppings up seperately. the kids would have a blast making their own as will adults.

And you could do appetizers and sides that match nicely. Nachos & dip, quessadillas, taco salad. Rice and beans.

Make adult drinks to match (sangria, etc.).

Tondi G
02-04-2011, 06:13 PM
what about fish kabobs?

Salmon in chunks on skewers (maybe teriyaki brushed on) and then vegi kabobs onion, bell pepper, mushrooms and zucchini, grill em up on the BBQ.... serve with rice and a green salad.

Mexican could work too

cheese enchilladas with beans and rice or a taco bar .... ground meat or shredded in the crock pot .... shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, guacamole, salsa ... warmed flour and/or corn tortillas. Everyone can build their own. you could even do fish and let them make fish tacos (then you need some shredded cabbage right?)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/fish-tacos-recipe/index.html

Fairy
02-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Can you make a homemade mac and cheese with a brisket? The briskets are so easy that even *I* can make them, and that's saying something. I make it in a Reynolds oven bag, stick in veggies with it, flour, stock, I think, and bake.

You can always do a pasta bar with big honkin' bowl of pasta, and then like a meat sauce, marinara, and alfredo. Then steamed veggies and your bottle of olive oil if they want primavera.

Tacos is an excellent choice.

Fairy
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Crap, totally wrong thread, so sorry!

bubbaray
02-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Can you make a homemade mac and cheese with a brisket?

Need recipe for mac & cheese (and don't say Kraft Dinner, cuz I got that under control). And brisket. What is a brisket??

Fairy
02-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Need recipe for mac & cheese (and don't say Kraft Dinner, cuz I got that under control). And brisket. What is a brisket??

Ohmigod. On both counts. Ok, I will post the recipe, gimme a minute. Re: Brisket, it's a cut of beef that is simply out of this world. You cook it to hell and gone and it just falls apart on your fork. Staple of Jewish homes around the holidays. Happy to make you one. It's one of the only things I can!

Fairy
02-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Here is my homemade mac and cheese recipe. Sorry for not following thru last night, Bubbaray!

MACARONI
Boil up some macaroni ;). I'd think any shape will do.

SAUCE
3 Tbl unsalted butter
3 Tbl flour
2.5 Cups milk warmed
1 3/4 Cups shredded cheese (it calls for sharp cheddar, but I use whatever)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp grey poupon
1 tsp chopped parsley

TOPPING
3/4 Cups shredded cheese
1/2 Cup bread crumbs
1 tsp unsalted butter cut into pats and layed out on top of the casserole

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish

Cook the macaroni and set aside.

* In saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and sprinkle in the flour gradually, whisking constantly until the flour is absorbed and the mixture is gently bubbling and lightly golden, 2-3 minutes.

* Gradually add the warm milk, whisking continuously and bring it to a simmer.

* Continue to simmer, stirring until smooth and slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes.

* Add the 1 3/4 cups of cheese to the milk mixture and remove from the heat. Whisk constantly until the cheese melts. Stir in the salt, pepper, mustard, and parsley.

* Pour entire mixture over the macaroni, mix to combine, and transfer it all into the baking pan.

TOPPING
I've never had the best of luck with this. I would make whatever topping you like best. Or no topping. But this works out for me some of the time. Seems the key is alot of butter covering the top of the casserole.

* Stir together the cheese and bread crumbs, sprinkle evenly over the macaroni, and dot with the butter.

BAKE
Bake until the top bubbles and begins tof orm a crust, 20-25 minutes; cover the top with aluminum foil if it begins to brown too much. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 5 mintues before serving.

This is actually not *my* recipe. I got it from a cookbook I use all the time called "Diner," by Diane Rossen Worthington. It's alot of "basics" that you'd find in a typical diner. I LOVE this cookbook.

lmh2402
02-06-2011, 10:19 PM
thanks, guys!

lots of great ideas :applause: