PDA

View Full Version : ? for those who ordered the "free" Zoya nail polishes: What do you think of them?

Neelloc
02-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Last month Zoya had their annual FB promotion: 3 bottles of nail polish for the price of shipping. I know a lot of ladies here took advantage of the promotion because I learned about it from the bargain board here. :thumbsup:

I got my nail polish last week and finally tried on of the colors. I like bolder colors and am a fan of OPI polishes. The Zoya color I tried first was "Edtya" which is a dark army metallic green. It took about 3 coats and a top coat, and the color looked nice. However, it started to chip the next day (I put it on the night before.) 4 days after applying it, the chipping was terrible so I went to remove it.

That's where my huge issue is. In taking it off with nail polish remover, the nail polish STAINED my cuticles, skin around my nails, and fingertips. I first used low acetone remover, and then had to drag out the pure acetone to get the color off. Then I scrubbed. I still have staining on the skin around my nails. The best I can say is that it looks like my fingertips were dipped in green paint and I didn't do a good job of removing it.

Did anyone else run into this problem with dark/bright colors they ordered? I have 2 more colors I did not try: Charla, which is a deep aquamarine blue, and some sort of purply color.

Help!

lcarlson90
02-03-2011, 04:41 PM
I ordered the Zoya polishes too. I am wearing one of the polishes now but I have acrylics so I can't really judge how they wear on natural nails. I do remember reading on another forum that a few people had the staining issue with their Zoya polishes.

k_null81
02-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I got 3 polishes as well during the promotion. I didn't officially apply it yet but I did put 2 coats of each color on 3 of my fingers just to be able to see what the colors looked like on and then I promptly went to remove it so I wouldn't get weird looks. I had the same problem as you! It was extremely hard to remove! I was starting to wonder if my nail polish remover had expired but after reading your post I guess not!

I don't normally paint my finger nails but do get my toes done and it seems like polish stays on the toes way better then finger nails.

bunnisa
02-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Did you use a base coat? I find it essential with all polish to prevent chipping and staining. I'm a fan of Creative Stickey but there are many other good ones out there.

salsah
02-03-2011, 06:45 PM
i tried mine w/ stickey and seche vite but it didn't last long. I tried again with anchor and armor, and it has held up much longer than stickey/essie/seche vite (which holds up really well, imo).
i haven't had a problem with removing it or stains. but i do use an acetone (maybe 100%) remover and i the color that i tried is a sheer nude. i also bought a pale pink for dd2 and my name which happens to also be pale color but i haven't tried those yet.

i am really happy with the one that i did try. i can't wait until they have this promo again so i can get some dark reds (and dd1's name for her) for my toes too (i didn't get any this time because i already have tons of toe colors and needed something for my fingers).

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I use the anchor/armor and use their removers and we have never had any issues. Their polish, when I use the system lasts forever.

oneplustwo
02-03-2011, 09:55 PM
Eeek, I feel bad you've had all this trouble since I'm the one who posted the deal. I got some stronger/darker colors this time but haven't used them yet. The last time they had this promo, I got light colors and have never had an issue with staining.

All polishes chip horribly on my fingernails, even when I've had a professional manicure. Zoya has always lasted great on my toenails though.

salsah
02-03-2011, 11:39 PM
All polishes chip horribly on my fingernails, even when I've had a professional manicure. Zoya has always lasted great on my toenails though.

try the anchor and armor. i can't believe how much longer it lasts than the sticky and seche vite or a professional manicure.

oneplustwo
02-04-2011, 10:04 AM
try the anchor and armor. i can't believe how much longer it lasts than the sticky and seche vite or a professional manicure.

Thanks for the tip! I keep thinking of getting the anchor and armor to try; you've given me the push to stop thinking and just buy it.

calv
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the tip! I keep thinking of getting the anchor and armor to try; you've given me the push to stop thinking and just buy it.

what is the anchor and armor? Do you buy it through zoya?

oneplustwo
02-04-2011, 10:37 AM
It's Zoya's base and top coats. And yes, you can buy it through Zoya.

calv
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
It's Zoya's base and top coats. And yes, you can buy it through Zoya.

thank you ;)

Neelloc
02-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Eeek, I feel bad you've had all this trouble since I'm the one who posted the deal. I got some stronger/darker colors this time but haven't used them yet. The last time they had this promo, I got light colors and have never had an issue with staining.

Don't feel bad!!!! I was happy to try the polish (I've always seen it advertised in my fashion mags, always wanted to try it.) I was just shocked with the staining. I guess I wouldn't have the issue with lighter colors.

My nails are soft and peel easily. They chip because of that, but less so with the OPI.

Neelloc
02-04-2011, 10:51 AM
Did you use a base coat? I find it essential with all polish to prevent chipping and staining. I'm a fan of Creative Stickey but there are many other good ones out there.

I did use a base coat. It's not that my nails were stained, my SKIN, cuticles, and fingertips got stained. It's how the polish smeared when I went to take it off. The color then went and stained the surrounding skin and my fingertips.