PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of mold in garbage disposal?

DrSally
02-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Something happened, and now our garbage disposal smells like mold, esp. when you run it. I suspect it's from certain people putting food down there and not running it.

Here are the things I've tried--vinegar and baking soda, boiling water and bleach. Not sure what else to try?

Sweetum
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
How about ice? I know it helps sharpen the blades, but it might help move things that are stuck that may be causing the mold. And then try your other methods again.

turtledove
02-03-2011, 06:58 PM
When our garbage disposal smells, 90% of the time it is because there is something nasty on the underside of the rubber around the hole (does that make sense?). I take a rag, put my hand down the hole and wipe the underside of the rubber. It is usuallycovered with some gross, unidentifiable substance that just reeks. I'm guessing it is a result of splatter from running the disposal, and it doesn't get clean becasue it is on the wrong side of the running water. Try that and see if it helps.

m448
02-03-2011, 07:03 PM
A quartered lemon or two and a good deal of kosher salt.

robinsmommy
02-03-2011, 07:23 PM
Yep, agree with PP's, I would try cleaning under the rubber gasket, then run ice thru, and then run lemon thru (cut off the very tough stem end and quarter first, though). The ice will help clean things off the blade, lemon will help with odor.

This is why I am glad we don't have one.....

DrSally
02-03-2011, 08:32 PM
OK, great idea about cleaning the gasket. I was poking around in there with a spoon trying to see what I could see, and wondered about the gasket. Anything I pour down there won't get that underside of the gasket. Time for rubber gloves and a clorox wipe. I'll also do the ice and lemon. Maybe another run through of baking soda/vinegar. It seriously smells of mold.