PDA

View Full Version : Another travel crib question

crl
02-04-2011, 01:06 AM
So, we are planning to travel by car this summer. Dd will be around 15 months. She slept horribly at my parents over the holidays in a pac n play, not sure if it was the pac n play or something else. The pac n play lives at my parents' (far, far away).

I could almost certainly borrow a pac n play--there are three on the street that are not in regular use. Or we could buy something. We will be staying in a cabin in the mountains so I think there may be some merit to having something that does not sit directly on the floor? To avoid spiders, etc?

What is the most comfortable, in your opinion? Since we will be traveling by car, size and weight aren't quite as important as if it were by air. It is always possible that we would travel somewhere else by plane, but have nothing planned at this point.

(I thought if I sorted this out now, I could start watching for something on CL if necessary.)

Thanks for any input!
Catherine

AnnieW625
02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I have heard amazing things about the Bjorn travel crib, but it's $250 new I think. If you were having more kids then I would consider it, but I wouldn't for just one baby. I would look for one on Craigslist. I also believe Phil & Teds makes one that is similar. We have a regular PNP and DD2 does okay in it, but my BIL got the Chicco one and that one is way more padded than the regular PNP. I would look for one of those on CL too or see if you can borrow one. Also would you consider the Aero Bed for Kids? I honestly don't know if it's recommended to use for a baby (it's firm though) or if it will even work because she might be walking and will want to get up, but we got one for DD2 when she turned 2 and it works great and once she is asleep she always sleeps well.

What did you use at WDW?

BabyBearsMom
02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
I have a regular PnP and agree with PP about hearing great things about the Bjorn and the P&T. I have experience with the Chicco one though (my MIL has it) and I hate that thing with a passion. It may be that my nerves are fried from being at MIL's anyway, but I find it much harder to put together than the PnP. Also, it is a little bit smaller. If I remember correctly, your DD runs on the big side, right? My DD fits comfortable in a PNP with room, but in he Chicco, she looks like a giant. She is a big girl though.

lowrioh
02-07-2011, 04:16 PM
I love, love, love my Bjorn Travel crib. Can't say enough good things about it. My DD1 is a big girl (39") and still fits nicely in the Bjorn. We had a borrowed PnP and it was OK early on but once she was around 16 months she HATED it. It is super lightweight and easier to put up than a PnP.

If you want a Bjorn, the best price I've seen is at Kohls when you can get the 30% off and free shipping with a Kohls card. Not sure when the next sale is but they usually have them every 4-6 weeks.

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/webstore/product_page.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=8455248925657 93&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374753037742&searchTerm=travel+crib&bmUID=1297109737152

crl
02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks you all.

Let's see. At WDW she slept in their pac n play. She was hard to get to sleep, but slept okay once I got her down.

She is big! Though I think she has slowed down on growth.

And she is already walking. We put ds on a toddler air mattress for travel at 2 years, but I'm not sure that'll work at 15 months. . . . Plus, I'm also not sure about having her down on the floor with creepy crawlies. . . .

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll start stalking CL.

Catherine

todzwife
02-09-2011, 12:10 AM
I have to second (third?) the Baby Bjorn travel crib suggestion. I wish I would have purchased it for my first child and not my third, but she's got awhile before she outgrows it and I'm still hoping for another baby. I got mine from Amazon for $173, which was the lowest I had ever seen it there. I had some swagbucks gift cards so it ended up being about $150 out of pocket and it's worth every singe penny.

It's nice because its a rectangle that doesn't take up a lot of room like the P&P does when folded. We have a smallish SUV so space is at a premium. It's light and not awkward to carry in to the house. It's SO fast to set up and take down, I did it several times over Christmas vacation, even just to put it up and sit her in it so the other kids with snotty noses wouldn't touch her but I could help cook. Oh! And I could carry it from room to room (not with her IN it obviously) but it was nice to be able to move it without having to disassemble it.