PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to have a house near wetlands?

moonsky
02-04-2011, 02:28 AM
I am concerned about mosquitoes. Any thoughts and experience? TIA!

crl
02-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Well, my first thought was there may be restrictions on adding on. And is there a basement and does it have moisture issues?

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2011, 07:43 AM
Does it require flood insurance?

mumofboys
02-04-2011, 08:29 AM
* Check if you can build or alter any vegetation in the 'buffer zone'. There may be serious fines and restoration work that must be conducted if you violate the rules.

* Are you required to have gutters on your house? Run off from the roof will alter the delicate ecosystem of wetlands. If so, consider the climate. Here in the northeast the issue of ice dams in the winter (often caused by poor ventilation in the attic and poor choice of gutter style) results in major damage to the house. The only way to circumvent this is to proactively and laboriously deal with each snowfall as it comes.

* Have an inspector thoroughly examine the house for prior water damage.

* Check to find out where the water table is at the lowest point near your house.

* Research (I have no idea where) if there has been flooding previously at that location.

* Mosquitos can easily be dealt with and, quite honestly, are the least of our issues or concerns. Install a bat house and bluebird houses or other predatory flycatchers nearby. Mosquito Magnets use very little propane and when placed correctly, can be quite effective. Citronella candles around your sitting area are sometimes effective. If the mosquitos are really bad and out of control, consider tossing BTI (http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/mosquitodunk.htm) dunks into your wetlands every 30 days during hatching months.

wellyes
02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Definitely a negative, not just for mosquitoes. Different regulations. Landscaping and construction can be impacted in really unexpected ways (ex: I know a guy who removed a tree and created an enormous sinkhole in his yard). Flooding.

Having said that, it's not that uncommon around here where it's very densely populated and there are wetlands in very desirable neighborhoods.

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
So check this also... The wetlands behind our neighborhood are a place where wayward teen boys from public housing do their (illegal) target practice, find their ways into the back of homes facing it, etc. A street that I was looking at has several recent breaking and entering events through sliding glass doors facing the wetlands (when they are somewhat dry, of course.) You can see if there is anything else that may be concerning bordering the wetlands on google or bing maps. Maybe only crazy people like me do this, though. :)

smiles33
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
It can get smelly in the summer. We looked at a house near some marsh wetlands and it STUNK so bad. You couldn't smell it as much once you're inside, but if you like to hang out outside at all, be forewarned!

MamaMolly
02-04-2011, 02:40 PM
We used to live ver close to a marsh, about 14 feet from where flood insurance was required (and of course we bought it anyway, because floods don't know where the legal line is! ;)). One of the things I didn't like was the municipal spraying for mosquitos. The spray truck would drive through the neighborhood and it stank so bad, made it hard to breathe. I can't imagine what we were inhaling!

Globetrotter
02-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I can't remember if you are in the Bay Area, but my friend had trouble selling her house near the wetlands (I think they are wetlands?) in Union City, even though it's a desirable neighborhood otherwise. I think she said it was due to the smell, but it never bothered her, so maybe it was an exuse to back out.

smiles33
02-04-2011, 04:02 PM
I can't remember if you are in the Bay Area, but my friend had trouble selling her house near the wetlands (I think they are wetlands?) in Union City, even though it's a desirable neighborhood otherwise. I think she said it was due to the smell, but it never bothered her, so maybe it was an exuse to back out.

There's actually a huge sewer treatment plant near the Hayward/Union City border and I've read in the local paper that they get blamed all the time for bad wetlands smells!

moonsky
02-04-2011, 04:49 PM
Thanks for all wonderful input. I can always count on this board. :love5:

I will definitely ask the seller those questions.

DrSally
02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
We have a mini-wetland area behind our house. The city actually sprays it for mosquitos, so we don't have any more than we would otherwise. I'd check into the other things PP mentioned though.

MommytoEliana
02-04-2011, 06:03 PM
We have a restored wetland behind our house, and I love it. We get to see all sorts of birds and some other wildlife.

That said, the pond does get a green haze on it during the summer that isn't so pretty. Also, the area behind our house is quite large--I think it is about 40 acres, maybe--and it doesn't get smelly. However, some smaller ponds in the neighborhood do; I'm guessing they don't have an outlet, perhaps, or maybe it is just the size.

Finally, mosquitoes can be pretty bad. The metro area drops pellets for mosquitoes in the spring and sometimes in the fall, but we've still had a couple of years that are just miserable once dusk hits. I am very sensitive to mosquitoes, though, so maybe they make me more miserable than others; our neighbors don't seem to mind quite as much.

HTH!

Oh, and we've never had water issues into the basement, but we have a large backyard with a pretty good grade to it. We have had water come a couple of feet into the yard, but no more.