PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read the New Yorker article on food allergies in kids?

citymama
02-04-2011, 05:01 AM
I just finished reading Jerome Groopman's article (http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/02/07/110207fa_fact_groopman) on children and food allergies in the Feb 7 issue of the New Yorker ("The Peanut Puzzle," p. 26). Did anyone else read it? Unfortunately the full text version is not available online to non-subscribers - just the first page.

Disclaimer: This is my quick summary of the article - which itself is a series of hypotheses and questions. Please do not use it as a guideline for feeding your kids!

According to Groopman, researchers are questioning the accuracy of existing theories and conventional wisdom on the factors contributing to the enormous increase in food allergies in the US and parts of Europe in recent years. This includes the researchers at Mt Sinai in New York who conducted the studies that led to the existing AAP recommendations re introduction of solid foods (waiting until 6 months, delaying the introduction of allergenic foods) and who theorized that exposure to peanuts and allergenic foods in utero or through breast milk could be causes for food allergies. There are several alternative (and not new to any of us) hypotheses being tested as to the spike in allergies and potential ways to mitigate them (including increased sunlight exposure and Vit D absorption - allergies are highest in colder, less sunny climates).

Delaying the introduction of possible food allergens while still exposing the child indirectly (such as skin contact with peanut butter or oil) might actually heighten food sensitivities. One of the things discussed was the potentially beneficial effects of exposure to allergens like dairy in cooked forms (baked goods with dairy do not flare allergies as much as direct exposure to milk).

What was fascinating to me (and perhaps repulsive to some) is that babies in most parts of the world are fed pre-chewed food - which is covered in parental antibodies that coat food proteins and make them less allergenic to infants. I'm embarrassed to say that both DH and I will sometimes do this with our toothless 8 month old, without really thinking about it. If it helps her, great. However, I'm pained to think that I've probably exposed her to lots of tiny amounts of peanuts and tree nuts through my hands and mouth given my love of peanut butter, almonds in my oatmeal, pecans in my cookies, etc.

I appreciated the article's confirmation that food allergies are all too real, on the rise, and can be deadly - and should be taken extremely seriously. (The world at large does NOT take them seriously enough, especially not in the food preparation industry. The comments from waiters and restaurant owners was shocking; most thought that cooking food would eliminate any allergens, or taking walnuts off a salad makes it allergen-free.) And I appreciated the bottom line that parents should not blame themselvesif kids develop allergies. Ultimately, we still really don't know what the causes are or why food allergies are on the rise.