PDA

View Full Version : Bronzing gel/powder?

wellyes
02-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm very fair - ok, pale - and I am so sick of looking washed out every day. I read in this month's Harper's magazine that a "bronzing gel" would be a good skin pick-me-up this time of year. But the one they suggested is actually a self-tanner, I think, which is not what I need. I just want a little color and life to my face! Any good brands or suggestions? Or is it best to leave the bronzers to women who have a tinge of color naturally?

misshollygolightly
02-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm very fair-skinned with some pink undertones, and live in the midwest--so looking kind of scary these days :-) However, I just recently got the Tarte- brand bronzer in a "best of" Tarte makeup kit I bought myself during the after-Christmas sales at Sephora. I LOVE it! It is very subtle and natural looking. Doesn't look like a weird winter tan--just a gentle glow of color. VERY pleased with it. I would definitely recommend it.

artvandalay
02-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm as pale as they come (MAC NC 15), and I use a bronzer daily. I look pretty dead without a tiny bit of bronzer and blush.

I've never used gel, but I like using powder bronzer. The key IMO is a good brush. If you use a good brush with a light hand, pale folks can definitely use bronzer. Also I am careful to not use bronzer that is too shimmery or too orange.

I like Skunk/stippling brushes for bronzer because of they way they are constructed, they allow you to deposit a small amount of color but build it up if needed. I use the Sonia Kashuk Highlighting brush (Target) for bronzer:

http://www.target.com/Sonia-Kashuk-Highlighting-Brush/dp/B002VTI0M8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&keywords=sonia%20kashuk%20brush&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-6&qid=1296830505&rh=&searchRank=target104545&id=Sonia%20Kashuk%20Highlighting%20Brush&node=1038576%7C1287991011&searchSize=30&searchPage=3&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchBinNameList=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_ primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

For bronzers I like Benefit Hoola (it looks dark, but if you use a light hand and a good brush, you can use it), but I've also used some from Physician's Formula, and I occasionally use Warmth from Bare Escentuals (but I use a different brush with this).

wallawala
02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
I am also very pale, and agree a good bronzer is key to looking alive.

I wear very little makeup, but use a bronzer daily as a blush and on the crease of upper lids to give sun-kissed look.

A light hand with a huge high quality brush gives a very diffuse natural look. I've been happy with Bare Essentuals brushes, but am sure there are lots of good other ones. The little brushes that come in the blush compacts are guarnteed to make me look TERRIBLE and clownish.

I liked the BE warmth mentioned by PP, but my hands down favorite is NARS bronzers in Laguna. I got as part of a double pack of Orgasm blush/Laguna Brozer compact from Sephora.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P104006&categoryId=RPYMAL&shouldPaginate=

It's long lasting and less messy than the loose powders (BE).

It ranks right behind #1 coffee (JetFuel K-cups) and #2 Spritz of fragrance as essential to AM routine.

wellyes
02-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks! These helped send me in the right direction.... I wasn't even thinking of brushes. Looking at the makeupalley reviews, it seems like the NARS Laguna (and the Orgasm blush too) are very widely beloved, so I am going to give it a shot. Ordered those plus this brush (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032CDFCS/ref=oss_product). Very excited to maybe look less deathly soon.

Am also going to look into Tarte next time I am at a Sephora - have heard nothing but good things about that line.

TxCat
02-04-2011, 11:23 PM
Also very pale with pink undertones, and the sleep deprivation of having a newborn at home doesn't help!

That said, I wear a bronzer daily - Nars The Multiple in Miami Beach - a quick swipe across the cheekbones, forehead, chin and bridge of the nose. Blend it in, and I'm good to go. I very rarely wear blush anymore unless I'm going out to dinner or something. Also, about 2-3x/week I use the Bobbi Brown self-tanner in light-medium - it takes a few applications to build the color, but it looks very natural for me, and I've had people ask before if I've been getting some sun, went on vacation, etc. See if you can get a sample to try from a Bobbi Brown counter. Good luck!