PDA

View Full Version : CL question

dukie41181
02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Can you set it up to be notified when an item is listed that meets specific search terms? For some reason I thought you could but I just looked and can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks!

ha98ed14
02-04-2011, 11:36 AM
I've never seen it as a function on CL itself, BUT do not be discouraged! Google has come to your rescue! You will need a google account. Once logged in to Google, go to the upper left corner, look towards the middle and pull down on the "more" tab.

Go all the way to the bottom and let up on "Even more"

Go to the first icon with the bell called "Alerts"

In the search terms box type in the CL city site you want to monitor. (Use the same name CL uses on the site.) Then the word "craigslist", and then the name of whatever you are looking for (lets say a Peg P3) So for me it would be "Los Angeles craigslist Perego Pliko P3"

BUT, I would also create multiple search alerts, because the item could be listed as Peg Perego, Pilko P3, or just P3. So I would create different searches to catch all the possible names.

You can also experiment with using AND & OR, but I am never that clever, so I always just create multiple search alerts. Obviously each on needs to say "los angeles craigslist stoller name"

Then fill out the rest of the alert. How often do you want it sent, what email, etc.

Then wait til someone lists what you want.

HTH

ETA: You can always try it out with something you know will currently be on craigslist. So in the search terms box put "los angeles craigslist iPhone" and hit "preview results" under the search terms box. You will see the trial results on the right. Play around with it a little and try to think of what mistakes/ variations people might use when listing: Pliko v Pilko (LI v IL) or iPhone v. i Phone... you get the idea.

Snow mom
02-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Here's how to do it with craigslist:
Search the term you'd like it to notify you of (so you can search the entire site for a term or a subportion (such as baby))
scroll down the results to the bottom
On the right you'll see an orange square that says "RSS"
Click that and select what service you'd like to subscribe with