PDA

View Full Version : 3 full days or 5 half days for preschool? Need HELP deciding!

KDsMommy
02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I'm enrolling DS in preschool very soon. I have visited several school this week. I think I have narrowed my choices down to 3 schools. Right now DS is with my dad during the day, but he needs the structure of preschool.

So, if you had the option, would you enroll your 3 year old in school for 3 full days or 5 half days per week? If he goes full days, he'll probably go to one of the schools that are close to my office. If he goes 5 half days, then he'll go to the school that is close to home, and my dad would pick him up at 1pm and take him home to nap. None of the schools are particularly far from home or work, since I only work about 5-6 miles from home.

1. There is a school right across the street from my office and lots of my coworkers send their kids there. If DS were to go there, he would be in the class with his best friend. It's a family owned daycare/preschool and is pretty popular around here. The 2 teachers in the 3 year old class he would probably be in both have CDAs and have been at the school for several years. There are 16-18 kids for 2 teachers. There are two 3 year old classrooms that are spacious and bright. I get a 5% corporate discount, lunch is not included. He would go 3 full days.

2. The other option that is close to my office is Tutor Time. I took a tour this morning and liked the school. The main 3 year old teacher has been there for 12 years. There are 2 teachers in the classroom, one has her CDA. There is one 3 year old classroom, very large and bright. There are 22-23 kids for 2 teachers. I get a 10% corporate discount and all meals and snacks are included. He would go 3 full days. They offered for DS to come for a free trial day next Tuesday.

3. The third option is close to home. I really liked the director when I met him yesterday for the tour. He knew the names of every child and parent he saw. The children were engaged, friendly, and happy. There is one 3 year old classroom with about 20 kids and two teachers, one of which has her CDA. I really liked the teacher that was in the room when I visited, but she has only been with the school for 3 months. The director mentioned that when he came onboard, his goal was to move the original teacher out because she wasn't very good, which he did do. The classroom is much smaller, but the children seem very content and engaged. I get a 10% corporate discound, lunch is not included. He would go 5 half days in the mornings. My main concern with this school is turnover, I don't want him to get attached to a teacher only to have her leave in a few months.

Prices are all in the same range, so that's not really a factor here. Option #3 does give 2 full weeks of vacation for free each year. That's a plus for me since I do get a lot of vacation time at work.

So....what are your opinions? What would you do?

justlearning
02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
I have to go now so I can't read through all of the other factors in your specific situation. But in answering the question of 3 full days vs. 5 half days, I'd definitely say 5 half days. A full day can get really tiring for a little kid, and it's nicer IMO to have them going to school every day so it maintains a routine.

clc053103
02-04-2011, 12:20 PM
i think I'd do the 5 half days. 3 full days seems like a long day for a 3 year old- not to mention, you are now paying to have your child nap there.

egoldber
02-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I think either of those would be fine honestly. I would want to know what other activities they do in the afternoons after nap of the full day program.

But in general I do think that going 5 days a week is easier for kids to adjust to.

zag95
02-04-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd do half days- and when your DS is 4 transition to full-days or continue with half-

That way your DS has some time with your DAD- which I think is an important relationship! Also, a full day is a bit much for that age- DD is the same age, and we are considering the same thing- when I looked at what consisted a full-day- she would be there another 1.5 hrs, until nap/quiet time begins.... I'd rather have her get more out of the program, and nap at home or elsewhere without paying for it.

HIU8
02-04-2011, 12:28 PM
I would only do the full-days if you want it for daycare. If you just want preschool then do the 5 1/2 days. What I mean is that with the full days you are paying for your child to nap there. If you didn't have your father to help then maybe the full days, but since he helps out then do the 1/2 days.

KDsMommy
02-04-2011, 12:37 PM
I'm tending to lean toward the 5 half days as well. It seems silly to pay to have him nap there, when he can nap in his own bed and spend time with grandpa doing special things in the afternoons.

What I didn't mention before is that I am going through a divorce right now which includes some ugly stuff like restraining orders and such. So, consistency is VERY important for DS right now. That weighs heavily into my decision.

belovedgandp
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I like the sound of the five 1/2 days. The consistency of going home to sleep and having nice afternoons with grandpa would make a good routine.

KDsMommy
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Thanks so much for the feedback.

SpaceGal
02-04-2011, 06:46 PM
For me I have similar options, 3 half or full days versus 5 half or full days.

Here's the lay of the land where I am...I'm a SAHM right now, DS2 will be the one entering pre-k. As it stands K is still half day here...and when DS2 enters pre-k DS1 will start full day school (1st grade). So to make my life easier I will probably opt for the 3 half day option. Unless something else comes up I figure this much, I don't want him in pre-k and get used to a full day when next year K is only half day. He'll get bored and restless if you know what I mean. I will choose 3 days because I have to run to and from to pick him up and rather than have to be out and about for 5 days.

Do you feel your DS needs to be in school more to be ready for K? If you do then I would do say 5 days...and probably just half days. I think like others have said full days are long...and honestly I would rather have him spend time with grandpa while he can.

mom2binsd
02-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I'd eliminate #2, for two reasons, the full days and the large class size, 22 is really way too many 3 year olds for 2 adults.

I agree with everyone, the 1/2 days sound great esp so he can nap and not be guessing which days he's going to school.

elephantmeg
02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
I would do whatever would work best for grandpa-would he like some time off every day or some full days off?

maestramommy
02-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Unless the full day school had a naptime, I'd go for 5 half days. A full day would be way too long for my 3yo, esp. if it was her first time at school.

sidmand
02-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I have the same decision but I'm going the other way but for two reasons:

1) DD doesn't nap anymore at all so not a problem

2) DS's school (and I drop off/pick up) runs almost exactly the same time as the full day program for preschool

Those two things alone make it much more sensible for me to do 3 full days just because I don't want to go out midday to pick her up and then 2 hours later to pick him up. I'd spend my whole day just driving around and not be able to get anything done. But if it wasn't for those two things I would like do 5 1/2 days for all the reasons mentioned: consistency, napping, etc. (Also, here K is a full day although she still has two years of preschool to go.)

With what you've described it sounds like 5 1/2 days is the way to go.

baileygirl
02-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I would go with #1 or #3 and go with whatever is easier for your dad.

BarbieSmith
02-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Short on time to consider ALL your points. But all OTHER things being equal, 5 half days, definitely!!!!!!!