PDA

View Full Version : I just got around to taking down my xmas cards..what to do with them?

artvandalay
02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
I just took mine down (yeah, I'm late this year).

I usually just toss them, but I always feel kinda bad tossing the photo ones. I just don't know where/how to store them.

Do you keep them? If so how/where do you store them or do you do anything special with them?

ha98ed14
02-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I keep the ones of the kids from people I love. I have a designated album that I pop them in. I like seeing how the kids grow from year to year. But I only keep them from like 5 or 6 families I really adore. I get ones w/ kids on them from people I know that toss too. But of you love them, start a little album.

LMPC
02-04-2011, 12:58 PM
I have a plastic shoe box that I store with my Xmas stuff for the picture ones and the letters that people sent. I didn't do it this year, but in past years, I have donated the fronts to charities that reuse them...I think St Jude's still does it. Here's the link....

http://www.stjudesranch.org/help_card.php

liamsmom
02-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I just took mine down (yeah, I'm late this year).

I usually just toss them, but I always feel kinda bad tossing the photo ones. I just don't know where/how to store them.

Do you keep them? If so how/where do you store them or do you do anything special with them?

First of all, congratulations on getting them down. (Mine are still up!) :bag I'd put the ones that you want to keep in an album. I use one for lots of "irregular" photos, like wallet-sized ones for relatives that I don't really need to keep in my wallet. I'd get one that can store 4x8" photos vertically and horizontally.

belovedgandp
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
I have a scrapbook of the photo cards. It's not just holiday cards, but birth announcements, wallet photos, and other things we get through the year. It is fun to see the kids grow as I turn the pages.

I have cut up and punched the "pretty" cards for kid crafts, but I just don't get that many of those anymore to really mess with it.

LBW
02-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I throw all of ours out.

wellyes
02-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I toss them. Always delighted to get them and display them, of course, but when the season's over I declutter.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I put mine all in the box that has all my leftover cards and other holiday card supplies. I enjoy looking through them every year when I get my stuff.

Beth

Purple18
02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
I toss them. Always delighted to get them and display them, of course, but when the season's over I declutter.

Totally agree - I just look the other way b/c it seems so sad to see them in the trash. Don't look back! It's now, or sometime later when you have too much stuff to declutter and then you have a major job on your hands....the last 10 years of Xmas cards among other stuff. Ahhhhh! I will admit, I am quite obsessive about decluttering, though. I am one of those people with a box in the back hall closet for things for goodwill - I love Peter Walsh.

sarahsthreads
02-04-2011, 03:31 PM
We keep the photo cards up year round. (Where's the bag-over-head smiley?) I tape everything up on our basement door as we get them. In mid-January-ish I take down the paper cards (and for the most part recycle those) but we leave the photo cards up until we start getting the new batch. The kids love looking at pictures of their friends & cousins, and it makes the door colorful.

I do keep previous years' photo cards in a box, but have been contemplating getting rid of them. We never go back and look through them, so I'm not sure why I continue to keep them.

Sarah :)

DebbieJ
02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
I keep some of the photos and add them to my photo wall, but most of them go the way of the trash.

Ceepa
02-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Toss them. There will be a new batch later this year. ;)

pampers37
02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
straight to the recycle bin!

DrSally
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Give them to the kids to cut/paste for crafts. I save photos.

vonfirmath
02-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Store them with Christmas decorations, bring out next year. Use for gift tags.

tabegle
02-04-2011, 06:41 PM
edited 2

MamaKath
02-05-2011, 05:43 PM
:bag Mine are still up. I guess I should start thinking about taking them down. I hung them in our kitchen on some strings and they are so cheery that I hate too. In past years, I have put photo ones into our memory book and let the kids make ornaments for the next year out of the regular ones with glue and glitter.

maiaann
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM
I keep any photos or photo cards. Every year after the holidays I just toss them in this particular box. Someday I'll sort through it. I can't throw pictures away, but I don't have the motivation to organize them in an album or anything like that. I just toss out the generic store bought cards. If they have a special message I might save them (add them to that same box), but as a general rule I'm not sentimental about those.