PDA

View Full Version : Texas version of Snowmageddon

Snow mom
02-04-2011, 02:22 PM
We have a snow day today. It only takes a dusting in Texas. The snow seen here is already gone, although there's still a bit left in the shade in the yard.

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/lisasnow/IMG_1077.jpg

http://i615.photobucket.com/albums/tt233/lisasnow/IMG_1150.jpg

pampers37
02-04-2011, 02:26 PM
ha crazy. i just realized how bad the weather was getting down in TX. was too busy with the snobama fest here in chicago :)

fivi2
02-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Too cute!

We had a "snowball fight" this morning. Too bad we couldn't make a decent snowman. My poor girls were out there with three pairs of socks on their hands because we don't have mittens :)

They have been so excited since the weather channel announced the chance of snow earlier in the week. It was like Christmas morning - they woke up at 6:30 and wanted to go out and play in it!

pampers37
02-04-2011, 02:44 PM
and i just noticed snow mom, in the heart of TX... not much snow there? from another area with lots of snow i take it?

elektra
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
The snow is still falling in Dallas! I am visiting from CA and i expected sun! Many stores are closed. It's feels so deserted.

nrp
02-04-2011, 03:03 PM
We were so hoping for snow here in Houston! We got icy roads but no snow. DD was SO disappointed!

Snow mom
02-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Too cute!

We had a "snowball fight" this morning. Too bad we couldn't make a decent snowman. My poor girls were out there with three pairs of socks on their hands because we don't have mittens :)

They have been so excited since the weather channel announced the chance of snow earlier in the week. It was like Christmas morning - they woke up at 6:30 and wanted to go out and play in it!

The socks on hands is a great idea. DD has one pair of mittens, but they're from her uncle (who lives in LA) so not surprisingly they aren't actually snow worthy. We had to go in when she started saying "my hands are sooooo cold." Ah, little spoiled Texas baby.

geophne
02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
We went out to enjoy the snow first thing this morning because I knew it would be gone quickly! DD had so much fun, but was upset when I told her she could not bring her snowball inside.

rlu
02-04-2011, 09:47 PM
I lived in NE TX for two winters and had 2 days of snow - the first winter it started snowing while I was at work and that was the first (and only) time I drove in snow/ice (I let DH do that normally) and the following winter on a Saturday Valentine's day. Both times the snow/ice was gone the next day. The dogs loved playing in the snow.

kristenk
02-04-2011, 09:51 PM
DD had 4 snow/ice days this week! We were going a bit stir crazy by the end! We only had about 2 inches of snow last night/today and it wasn't very good for building snowmen. DD had fun, though, and it was nice to watch the snowflakes fall this morning. :)

MommyofAmaya
02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
We were so hoping for snow here in Houston! We got icy roads but no snow. DD was SO disappointed!

Yep. I woke up this morning to "There's NOOOOOOO snow mommy". :( Luckily, I was off the hook since I could blame the local meteorologist.

Fairy
02-04-2011, 10:14 PM
ARE you kidding? A snow day? Really?! Well, I guess I can see that if there's no infrastructure to deal with it then it could be maybe icy or slippery. It takes an act of God to get a snow day over here. We finally got two this week! Love the pix.

MMEand1
02-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm in SA and it was awful this morning. The kids got a snow day but they were scheduled for a half day anyway, so no big loss, really. I am considered mission-essential and had to go to work for my regular shift. I only live 8 miles away from work, but it took me over an hour to get there. At one point, there was a pile up of about 25 cars. I don't think any of them had been in an accident but they could not go anywhere due to the roads being so iced over. I was told that the police department ha responded to over 65 accidents before 8 am! I was seriously concerned about getting in to work safely during my ccommute. I was stationed in North Dakota for a while so it's not like this is foreign to me - there are just no snow/safety provisions here in south Texas since it is such a rare occurrence!

oneplustwo
02-04-2011, 11:34 PM
We went out to enjoy the snow first thing this morning because I knew it would be gone quickly! DD had so much fun, but was upset when I told her she could not bring her snowball inside.

That's what the freezer is for! We have all sorts of snowballs and icicles being "saved for later" in our freezer. :)

Snow mom
02-04-2011, 11:42 PM
ARE you kidding? A snow day? Really?! Well, I guess I can see that if there's no infrastructure to deal with it then it could be maybe icy or slippery. It takes an act of God to get a snow day over here. We finally got two this week! Love the pix.

Yes, the key to having snow days is living somewhere where it almost never snows. I grew up somewhere that it doesn't snow at all and then went to college in a state known for its winters. I was pumped for snow days but it didn't happen once in the four years I was there. Here the entire city grinds to a halt the moment the flakes start falling. Last winter we had a snow day where it didn't even snow-- the decision to cancel everything was made on the prediction of snow and it never materialized.

jerigirl
02-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Yep 4 snow/ice days here in DFW! DS was sick on Monday so he actually missed school all 5 days. Here is our house this afternoon.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn175/jerigirleed/020411021.jpg

Fairy
02-04-2011, 11:56 PM
See, now Jeri, that just boggles my mind that amount of snow. I remember working in Dallas in November and melting. Wow.

jerigirl
02-04-2011, 11:58 PM
See, now Jeri, that just boggles my mind that amount of snow. I remember working in Dallas in November and melting. Wow.

Yeah this week has been crazy!

kerridean
02-04-2011, 11:58 PM
Checking in from San Antonio as well. I am from Northern Ohio so this was all very hilarious to me. The girls were off of school and DH was off of work. He is military and they closed the base! DD1 had a birthday party at the dreaded Chucky Cheese and all was fine with the roads by 5 pm. It sunny, but chilly. What a strange day. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 60 degrees.

jenstring95
02-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Yep. I woke up this morning to "There's NOOOOOOO snow mommy". :( Luckily, I was off the hook since I could blame the local meteorologist.

Yes, this was us too! I woke up twice overnight and looked outside (and waited up until 12:30, hoping the snow would materialize). The kids were NOT happy this morning. Poor DS thought it might still snow later today, and DD was just plain angry! There were something like 800 accidents this morning in the Houston area, though. And DH still went to work!

MMEand1
02-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Checking in from San Antonio as well. I am from Northern Ohio so this was all very hilarious to me. The girls were off of school and DH was off of work. He is military and they closed the base! DD1 had a birthday party at the dreaded Chucky Cheese and all was fine with the roads by 5 pm. It sunny, but chilly. What a strange day. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 60 degrees.

I'm military too, but had to go in. We were operational all day and still saw patients from out in town. Our building has no heat so we were especially cold as we have cryogenics that have to be kept at around 56 degrees F!!!

Gracemom
02-05-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm in the Dallas area, and we had 4 ice/snow days off of school this week. The kids loved the six inches of snow we got, but it better start melting today so I can go somewhere. I've never wanted to go to Target more in my life!

Everyone is worked up about the Super Bowl too. Some ice fell off the stadium and injured people, and the airports are still not letting too many flights in/out. Should be better by tomorrow though.