PDA

View Full Version : GE Microwave broken after only 7 years

HIU8
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
We have a GE microwave wall oven combo unit. The plastic film inside the microwave is peeling off. Most of the inside top plastic coating is gone and all you see is metal. DH has been in contact with GE (b/c we did not have a Sears service contract on this appliance--who knew that a 7 yr old appliance would go south). Anyway, GE is working with us and will give us a break towards a new unit. They told us to discontinue using the microwave. Great--no microwave. My cooking time has just tripled.

Meanwhile---units like ours were recalled--BUT NOT OUR MODEL #. This just sucks. We don't have any $$ to purchase a new unit. I NEED a microwave. I also NEED the oven portion (that part works and I will continue to use it). DH is attempting to get GE to replace the whole unit for free b/c a 7 yr old microwave should not have plastic coating peeling off into our food!

Anyone else have issues with their GE appliances? Does anyone else make a microwave/wall oven combo unit (kenmore? anyone?). We may be going to Sears this weekend to check things out.

WatchingThemGrow
02-04-2011, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear GE is working with you. I have a GE Advantium speedcooker/oven/microwave that I adore. The handle has broken 2x in 7yrs, and the turntable turner thing had a sparking issue last year. It has truly sucked repair-wise, but I'm considering replacing my 8 year old Advantium with another of the same kind. i love it that much. I should spend my afternoon on the phone with them as well. FWIW, I was looking at new ones the other day and you can walk away with an over-the-range one for less than $300. The one we love is more than 2x that :(

HIU8
02-04-2011, 02:41 PM
I would love an over the range kind. Our only issue is the big hole in the cabinet for the microwave/wall oven unit. If we had done it my way, we would have had a cooktop and microwave over it and a double wall oven. Nope, had to listen to DH. Now I'm stuck with a specific type of item or I am left with a gaping hole.

jenfromnj
02-04-2011, 02:51 PM
We had major issues with our GE fridge, which is less than 5 years old. The freezer stopped working entirely, and it took THREE service calls to fix the issue properly (we used GE appliance service). I finally wrote them a lawyer letter after the second repair didn't take, and ended up not paying for the third visit, getting a refund for the second visit (the second service tech tried to tell me that it was a different problem), and a warranty for the work done (normally it's only 30 days on labor).

And we just got a call from our tenant that the washer in our rental is on the fritz--it's also GE and about 4 years old.

After those 2 things and the awful experience we had with their repair service, we are never buying GE appliances again.

HIU8
02-04-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah, I would rather GE give me a check and then I can put the $$ towards another brand unit. I have a GE side by side fridge and freezer. The ice maker has never worked right. The water line has frozen 3 times. We have had repair men out here each time (we got a new door at one point). I feel like I made a HUGE mistake getting GE appliances. The ONLY appliance that has not had any issues came with the house (a kenmore dishwasher).

Rainbows&Roses
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
We have been told by numerous appliance techs that appliances are no longer made to last very long. They almost always have something that is meant to or destined to break after a few years.

HIU8
02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
I kinda knew/figured that. It's a shame. We have a 35 yr old deep freeze (it was my parents) that works better than pretty much any of my other appliances in the house. I still have to figure out what to replace the darn thing with (and then plan for the fridge and gas range to be next in line I guess....)

jenfromnj
02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I would rather GE give me a check and then I can put the $$ towards another brand unit.

Oh no, I totally agree with you, I was just letting you know my experience since you'd asked if anyone had experienced issues with GE. Our fridge was definitely worth a good bit more than it cost to repair, so it made sense for us to have it fixed. If it had been our microwave, it would have been completely different.

I feel like I made a HUGE mistake getting GE appliances. The ONLY appliance that has not had any issues came with the house (a kenmore dishwasher).

Yep--we'll be sticking with other brands from now on, both their products and their customer service were very disappointing.

PunkyBoo
02-04-2011, 04:23 PM
We have a Kitchenaid Superba mocrowave/ oven combo. I love it. The upper microwave will also do convection/ baking type of stuff, and the lower oven is huge and also has a convection mode. Ironically, my sister remodeled her house at the same time as us and totally coincidentally picked the same oven combo even though her kitchen is a completely different style than mine. We did have an issue with the lightbulb in the micro going out within the first year but Sears took care of that no problem. My only other issue is that the springs that help support the micro door (it opens down) "sprung" out - the door still stays where it's supposed to, I just have to be more cautious about opening it without yanking. It doens't affect the use of the micro at all so we haven't had Sears out for it.

HIU8
02-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Well, got a response from GE. They will either give us $200 for a counter microwave OR a discount towards another full unit. Full unit (on their site is $2199). The guy would not tell us what discount they would give. He wants our decision first. I just wrote him back saying there is no way I can make a decision until I know what discount he is willing to offer.

SO, I either get to spend more $$ on another lousy GE unit, or use it as a planter and add a counter microwave to my kitchen.

Needless to say, DH and I are going to sears this weekend to price other units (I know jennair is seriously more expensive. We are going to look at something kenmore probably).

AnnieW625
02-04-2011, 05:38 PM
My mom loves her GE over the range microwave and we plan on getting one when our current Sharp dies. It's actually pretty easy to put one in per my contractor friend. You just replace the hood with the microwave and put in some vent (or something). I think my mom is on her third over range microwave in 26 yrs. (I think the first one crapped out after six years and I don't think it was GE, but she got 12 or 15 out of the second one (a GE) and is now on about three years into the third one, also a GE). If you don't do another GE get a Sharp. I have had mine for 10 yrs. and it's still working fine.

It is sadly true appliances don't last as long as they used to.

arivecchi
02-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Those combo microwave/oven units suck. I would try to come up with a way to replace that unit as a whole as they are very problematic and bad news from a resale standpoint. Maybe split the cabinet and get a decent oven and a separate microwave to sit in the upper divided half?

ohsara430
02-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Kenmore and Kitchenaid both make microwave/wall oven combo units. My parents have a Kitchenaid and really like it.

turtledove
02-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Before you commit, you should check out places (other than Sears). Bray and Scarff has a scratch and dent outlet center in Laurel. A friend of mine is remodeling her kitchen and has purchased all of her appliance from there for a significant discount. They sell scratch and dent (obviously), discontinued merchandise, and items where delivery has been refused or was ordered and didn't fit (ie, nothing wrong with it, but can't be sold as new). You can haggle a bit with them too. I hear they have one in Frederick, but have only heard about the one in Laurel.

I would be inclined to take the $$ for a countertop microwave, and replace with a double wall oven if you can swing it.

Oh, and I will never buy GE appliances again. They were in our house when we bought it (new from builder) and most of them are terrible. We have had huge issues with the fridge and dishwasher.

Good luck!

HIU8
02-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew sears has a scratch and dent in towson or timonium. I had no idea Bray and Scarf also had one. We are going to be checking it out this weekend (along with Sears and a few other independent places). I'm still waiting for GE to get back to me about a discount. I would rather they give me the discount in $$ form, but I think I will only get the $200 from them if I go that route. I love scratch and dent. You can get a lot more for your $$.