PDA

View Full Version : the only way to make white buttercream frosting is with crisco?

Fairy
02-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I've never used that stuff in my life. I don't. Want to start now but I need white frosting for black forest cupcakes. What would u do for a frosting flavor instead? Chocolate cupcakes with cherry filling. Supposed to b white but ... not if that means crisco. Ive looked at a ton of white frosting buttercream recipes and cant find one withought "shortening." I thought it was butter, but I guess u can't get yellow butter to b white. Cream cheese base sounds not right with bblack forest. Thoughts?

bisous
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Fairy, I like to use palm shortening. It is totally natural so no trans fat. Yes, it is still saturated fat but it is much, much, healthier than Crisco! You can find it at whole foods. It also works great for "greasing" the pan with baking.

brittone2
02-04-2011, 04:41 PM
I've used Spectrum shortening before.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Naturals-Shortening-Vegetable-Containers/dp/B001FA1DG4

when I do use it, I add some butter as I find the all shortening icings to have a too greasy mouthfeel. A little butter IMO helps with that. (I'm by no means an expert cake baker/shortening person however!)

kedss
02-04-2011, 04:42 PM
I would do a whipped cream frosting :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't use shortening in frosting because I don't want to eat shortening straight like that. Cream cheese frosting or straight butter and sugar is what I use.

Beth

KrisM
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I've always thought icing made with butter was pretty white. It doesn't look yelloe to me.

bubbaray
02-04-2011, 04:47 PM
You could look for organic butter unsalted, it always seems whiter to me.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2011, 04:47 PM
You could just frost them chocolate and call it a day. :)

Beth

miki
02-04-2011, 04:55 PM
You can make an Italian meringue buttercream and that will be closer to white. Or Italian meringue with out the butter.

bubbaray
02-04-2011, 04:58 PM
"Real" black forest cake (at least the ones I buy) have whipped cream frosting, with shaved dark chocolate on top. And of course cherries (in the filling and on top of the cake). I've never had a BFC with icing on it.

I would think that whipped cream would be much easier, though it doesn't necessarily "sit" well (ie for transport).

m448
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
If you add a melted marshmallow to a batch of whipped cream it stabilizes the whipped cream for quite a while. However don't know much about the kosher thing.

An italian buttercream is also a good idea but then you have to do the complicated recipe (which I do every once in a while). However a great shortcut is a butter based butter cream with a jar of fluff mixed in. Delicious, approximates the italian buttercream and no fuss.

katydid1971
02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
During the marshmallow fluff post from a few weeks ago someone posted a frosting recipe that was 2 jars of marshmallow fluff and a cup of butter whipped until well combined. I haven't tried the recipe yet but if you used a light butter like pp mentioned it might work for you and it sounds like it would be so yummy ;)

m448
02-04-2011, 05:14 PM
That would be me and it's delicious. Like lick it off the spoon good. Buttery taste but not overly rich (if that can be said about a frosting). Plus it's easy as all get out.

Dayzy
02-04-2011, 05:15 PM
I've always used the recipe on the side of the domino confectioner sugar box. There's no crisco in it. I use butter, milk, vanilla and the sugar.

Sweetum
02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Swiss meringue buttercream is another option - you "cook" eggwhites and sugar over hot water, then start beating it till soft peaks form, then add butter little by little till all is incorporated and continue to beat till you get a glossy frosting. check out photos in this link that I posted to see if it's white enough for you:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=383377

Like PP said, Black Forest uses whipped cream. You can stabilize whipped cream with cornstarch (you can do that by adding confectioner's sugar which already has cornstarch). But this is not the best way. If you don't mind, you could use gelatin which would definitely stabilize it. Another way would be to add some cream cheese to stabilize it. I'll post the recipe if I can find it.

bisous
02-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Wow. some of these sound fabulous. Remind me to come here with cooking questions!

larig
02-04-2011, 05:24 PM
You can use PW's favorite icing. It's what I use for red velvet cake. It is delicious.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/

jse107
02-04-2011, 05:25 PM
I've always used the recipe on the side of the domino confectioner sugar box. There's no crisco in it. I use butter, milk, vanilla and the sugar.

:yeahthat:

I don't like the idea of Crisco in the frosting either!

m448
02-04-2011, 05:28 PM
You can use PW's favorite icing. It's what I use for red velvet cake. It is delicious.
http://thepioneerwoman.com/tasty-kitchen/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/

Hmmm, bookmarking this one. The reviews for it are great!

AnnieW625
02-04-2011, 05:55 PM
These are really good, and taste very similar to the simple on the bag of C&H (or Domino) powdered sugar. I made one with marshmallow fluff that someone posted here and it was okay, but not great.

Magnolia Bakery Frosting (http://www.kitchenlink.com/cookbooks/2005/0743246616_4.html)

Sprinkles Frosting recipe (http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/candace-nelson-strawberry-frosting) (I made this but did it plain without the strawberries and it was delish--I found it on another website, but it's the same, but now I know how to do strawberries!:boogie:)

C&H Buttercream frosting recipe:
Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients
3 3/4 cups C&H Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions:
Combine in large bowl, with mixer at low speed, powdered' sugar, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat at medium speed 1-2 minutes until creamy. If desired, add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency. Makes enough to fill and frost 2-layer cake, 13x9x2-inch sheet cake, or 24 cupcakes.

golightly1118
02-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Meringue-based buttercreams (Italian or Swiss) are always whiter than the sugar/butter icings. If you want to go the sugar and butter route, I believe Wilton sells a product called Icing White-I've used it before for wedding cakes and it does a good job of neutralizing the yellow butter.

kwc
02-04-2011, 06:13 PM
I did find that the Pioneer Woman/ Tasty Kitchen frosting was pretty white and held up quite well on cupcakes (red velvet) for me... I think whipped cream frosting would not be stable enough. It seems to be a persnickety recipe for some... it whipped up well for me but I cooked it for a pretty long time. Here's another version that may be easier to work with (which one reader said stiffened up and piped well if refrigerated for an hour first)
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/09/the-best-frosting-ever.html

Her buttercream seems pretty white also but has cream cheese in it, so I don't think it would be as appropriate for Black Forest as the other one (which is lighter and a bit more whipped cream tasting)
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/01/vanilla-buttermilk-cupcakes-and-fantastic-easy-buttercream-frosting.html

larig
02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
FYI, the PW icing does best if you can keep it cool. Winter is the perfect time to have it.

Fairy
02-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Wow, thank you for all the advice! I'm practicing now with a box mix of chocolate cake for the cupcakes (it has hydrogenated oil, which I'm kicking myself for, but I was just looking for a cheap box to practice with) and some cherry pie filling. someone gave me the idea of a melon baller to scoop out the center, which is what I'm gonna do. And replacing the oil. But the frosting was killing me. These are great recipes. I'm afraid of whipped cream frosting cuz of the stability thing. I'm a novice at best, here. I've made cupcakes and frosting exactly one time, they were beyond perfect, and now I'm worried it was beginner's luck, as it was a cream cheese frosting, and these are going to be buttercream. There are at least three recipes you guys posted that I could live with (meaning I have a good chance of not messing it up). Oh, and I'm going to decorate the top with some kind of candy, like the 5mm silver ball thingies. Two of my stores so far didn't have them, tho :-(. So, gonna just check William Sonoma, much as I'd rather not. Going to target tomorrow, so maybe they'll have it. Anyway, thanks so much!

marie
02-04-2011, 09:38 PM
to stabilize whip cream, I've used this product with great results:

http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=359991&storeId=10052&langId=-1

I made this White Chocolate frosting recently and LOVED it (not too sweet and super easy):
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,176,150169-244196,00.html

ncat
02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
We've used mascarpone in a whipped cream frosting (usually along with cream cheese, but I think you could use it instead of for a milder frosting.) It holds up beautifully - DH has used it on red velvet cake for work potlucks several times.

jgenie
02-04-2011, 10:08 PM
That would be me and it's delicious. Like lick it off the spoon good. Buttery taste but not overly rich (if that can be said about a frosting). Plus it's easy as all get out.

I have to agree - I used this for DS2's bday cake and it was yummy!! (Thanks m448!!)

ladysoapmaker
02-04-2011, 10:52 PM
You can make an Italian meringue buttercream and that will be closer to white. Or Italian meringue with out the butter.

:yeahthat:

King Arthur Flour had a blog on making this and the French Meringue a few weeks ago... so if you need a nice and easy directions I would go there.

Jen

sunshine873
02-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I did find that the Pioneer Woman/ Tasty Kitchen frosting was pretty white and held up quite well on cupcakes (red velvet) for me... I think whipped cream frosting would not be stable enough. It seems to be a persnickety recipe for some... it whipped up well for me but I cooked it for a pretty long time. Here's another version that may be easier to work with (which one reader said stiffened up and piped well if refrigerated for an hour first)
http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2010/09/the-best-frosting-ever.html

I just made this last week & put it on the best chocolate cupcakes (also from this site - I think she calls it the best chocolate cake.) Anyway, it was fabulous, and very white. I'll be making it again tomorrow for DD's birthday party - hopefully it goes as well the 2nd time around! :)

Sweetum
02-05-2011, 03:32 AM
What kind of cream is best?

Ultra-Pasteurized milk is heated to a higher temp than pasteurized. Less heat equals more flavor. Therefore, pasteurized products are more flavorful than ultra-pasteurized.
Whipping cream has less fat than heavy cream and will separate after a relatively short period of time, resulting in that liquid you sometimes see floating in whipped cream.
Pasteurized heavy creams often have additives (stabilizing ingredients) which aid in peak retention, but sacrifice flavor.
The best choice is heavy cream that is all natural, pasteurized (NOT ultra-pasteurized), and the ingredient list should only have one item: Heavy Cream. This cream should hold its integrity in the refrigerator for an entire day.

The Science of whipping cream:

Room temp cream will whip, but it won't hold long, and it will get runny.
Cream = Fat
When you whip the cream, air bubbles become coated with the fat, which stabilizes the molecules and holds them in an emulsified form resulting in "billowy" peaks.
Fat in its chilled state is crystalline. Imagine "fat" snowflakes surrounding the air bubbles, acting as a hard shell that can stabilize the air bubbles for as long as they are kept cold. As it heats up, the structure will break down and become runny.
Whipping cream is a kinetic process. It creates energy (heat) through friction, and in turn raises the temp of the cream. Therefore, the colder the cream (bowl & mixers, too), the less chance there is that the cream will break down from rising temps.

Whipped Cream Frosting, stabilized:

The whipped cream WILL break down if left to sit on a cake. The secret? Cream cheese.
Use a relatively small amount of cream cheese so it doesn't end up Cream Cheese Frosting.

Whipped Cream Frosting:

Beat together until fluffy: 8 oz Cream Cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt until fluffy.
Add 1 tsp Vanilla, and slowly incorporate 2 cups heavy cream on low speed.
Increase speed to med-high and whip for 2-3 minutes until stiff peaks form.

Fairy
02-05-2011, 12:21 PM

I tried this last night. I didn't love it. DH did, but I didn't care for it. But it certainly does work, so I'd do this in a pinch. That flour thing really threw me, but it did work. I was disappointed las night after it was all said and done for a couple reasons, so I'd just decided to make regular buttercream frosting from Martha Stewart's recipe (I have saved the cupcake issue from two years ago) and hope for the best (had alot of ingredients to go buy). Then then this post -->

Whipped Cream Frosting:

Beat together until fluffy: 8 oz Cream Cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, and 1/2 tsp. salt until fluffy.
Add 1 tsp Vanilla, and slowly incorporate 2 cups heavy cream on low speed.
Increase speed to med-high and whip for 2-3 minutes until stiff peaks form.

This whipped cream primer was really helpful. I think I"m just going to do this. Since Black Forest is whipped cream, anyway. So, that's my current plan. I have a bunch of bricks, the only thing I need to buy is the heavy cream. And I'd never have thought of using heavy cream instead of whipping cream. Thank you all for all your tips, everyone!

larig
02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Sorry the PW recipe was a bust. Glad you tried it first!!

Fairy
02-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Sorry the PW recipe was a bust. Glad you tried it first!!

By no means a bust. *I* didn't care for it. DH and DS loved it. Thank you for posting it!

larig
02-05-2011, 05:41 PM
BTW, Fairy, I'm enjoying living vicariously through your cupcake explorations, so keep posting about these delicious creations!

Fairy
02-06-2011, 02:33 AM
BTW, Fairy, I'm enjoying living vicariously through your cupcake explorations, so keep posting about these delicious creations!

Hee! I wish I could say it's just fun to post and discuss food. But the fact is I'm worthless in a kitchen and need extra hand-holding thru the simplest of dishes. I can make alot more now, and I'm a big fan of allrecipes.com, no question. But when push comes to shove, I come running here alot with things that I'm well aware make people roll their eyes. Fairy's melting butter and can't get along without the BBB, what else is new. So, thanks, Larig! Believe me, it won't be the last time I post about cupcakes. Speaking of which, I have a Cupcake Wars on the tivo ...

MissAndi
02-06-2011, 04:20 AM

Barefoot Contessa has a very nice Italian Meringue Buttercream. It's not as simple as straight buttercream, but it does come out all white and pretty...not to mention tasty!

kijip
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
You have to use the whipped cream with cherries and a dusting of cocoa or shaved chocolate. If you what to call it black forest cake. Just saying.

Fairy
02-06-2011, 04:05 PM
You have to use the whipped cream with cherries and a dusting of cocoa or shaved chocolate. If you what to call it black forest cake. Just saying.

Ok, here's what I'm doing for batch 2. I have unsweetened cocoa for just this type of occasion now :-). I'm makign a small batch of whipped cream that I'm going to put frozen cherries in (ground up, etc) and fill them with that. Then I'll make the cream cheese/whipped frosting. And I may dust it :-)

kijip
02-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Ok, here's what I'm doing for batch 2. I have unsweetened cocoa for just this type of occasion now :-). I'm makign a small batch of whipped cream that I'm going to put frozen cherries in (ground up, etc) and fill them with that. Then I'll make the cream cheese/whipped frosting. And I may dust it :-)

:bighand:

Don't look now, it would seem Hilary has become a cupcake baker.

So when can I tune in to see you on Cupcake Wars?

Fairy
02-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Weeeeell. The frosting was amazing. Tasted so good I about died. But it seemed to me well after the fact that it would have been better as the FILLING and not the frosting. Now, the filling didn't quite turn out how I wanted. I didn't have enough cream for both filling and frosting, so I ended up using a little of the done frosting, half a brick of cream cheese, and the mulched berries, which were a nightmare, cuz they pulverized in the food processor, but it was crumbly not velvety. But I nuked and whipped and folded,a nd when it was done I had a filling. In no way was it pie filling :-(. But it was filling. And I tasted it, and it tasted like ... strawberry cream cheese. So ... I added sugar. Whipped. Tasted. Cream cheese. Added more sugar. Whipped. Tasted. shoved some in DH's mouth. "It's fine." I tasted it. Cream cheese. Eh. Ran out of time, filled them, frosted them, brought them. Couldn't imagine anyone would be eating them.

They were gone in an hour.

I am sure that it's cuz it was one of only two desserts there. Cuz I'm telling you, it's not about how great they were, they were not great. The FROSTING was great, and next time I'm using it as a filling, cuz that will be fantastic.

I'm NOT a cupcake baker. But I am a cupcake try'er. And FWIW, I got a box of yellow cake and chocolate frosting mixes from TJ's today.

Thanks for everything, guys!

SoloMelody
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
You could look for organic butter unsalted, it always seems whiter to me.

FYI
Color of butter is dependent on the type of food that the cow ate. I was raised on a dairy farm back in Asia. When we let the cows graze on green pastures, the milk cream top was a nice creamy yellow and hence butter was the same. When we fed our cows dry hay, we got almost white cream tops = white butter.

bnme
02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Fairy, I just saw this on a blog I browse and I thought of you..
http://www.beantownbaker.com/2011/02/black-forest-cupcakes-for-frosting-for.html

Click the link for the recipe. Your combo sounds tastier
to me.

Sweetum
02-11-2011, 02:10 AM
yay! my recipe won!!! errr, actually it's from america's test kitchen :D

Fairy
02-11-2011, 03:06 AM
Fairy, I just saw this on a blog I browse and I thought of you..
http://www.beantownbaker.com/2011/02/black-forest-cupcakes-for-frosting-for.html

Click the link for the recipe. Your combo sounds tastier
to me.

Thank you! I read it, and it was very interesting to me to see how easy it apparently is to make cherry pie filling. The recipe I found (and I looked at so many recipes that day that I don't remember which one came from where anymore) was so much more complex than that, and I just said for.get.it. But this one seems doable. I like the concept of a syrupy pie filing. Something the consistency of a filled donut. As opposed to a juicy one. Hers seems more juicy, but then again, probably alot healthier, too. I'm keeping this one in my back pocket.

yay! my recipe won!!! errr, actually it's from america's test kitchen :D

You're so funny. Yes, you won! Honestly, I love this as a filling. Like for a hostess type of style. Deep chocolate cake filled with this frosting, and then topped with ... I dunno. Maybe chocolate buttercream.

I discovered during this whole process that i"m just not a cupcake baker, and you will not be seeing me on cupcake wars at all. Yet, I think a bug bit me. Cuz I bought some heart-shaped silicone cupcake liners, and I got some TJ's cake mix, TJ's white and chocolate frosting mix, and ingredients for chocolate cupcakes from scratch. And my mind is constantly running with ideas for infused flavors. Withotu any knowledge of how to infuse them. I know in my head that I really need to just stick with jewelry. Yet, I'm feelign compelled to make cupcakes ...

kijip
02-12-2011, 12:50 PM
America's test kitchen has a great recipe for a ganache filled chocolate cupcake with chocolate butter cream frosting. Honestly the best I have ever tasted, better than the $4 ones at the shops that opened when cupcakes were trendy.

here it is:

Ganache Filling
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine (see note)
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar

Chocolate Cupcakes
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate , chopped fine (see note)
1/3 cup (1 ounce) Dutch-processed cocoa
3/4 cup hot coffee
3/4 cup (4 1/8 ounces) bread flour
3/4 cup (5 1/4 ounces) granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 recipe Frosting

INSTRUCTIONS
1. FOR GANACHE FILLING: Place chocolate, cream, and confectioners’ sugar in medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high power until mixture is warm to touch, 20 to 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth; transfer bowl to refrigerator and let stand until just chilled, no longer than 30 minutes.

2. FOR CUPCAKES: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-size muffin pan (cups have ½-cup capacity) with baking-cup liners. Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool completely, about 20 minutes. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.

3. Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.

4. Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Place one slightly rounded teaspoon ganache filling on top of each cupcake. Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour.

5. TO FROST: Mound 2 to 3 tablespoons frosting on center of each cupcake. Using small icing spatula or butter knife, spread frosting to edge of cupcake, leaving slight mound in center.