PDA

View Full Version : Benadryl for a 3-yr-old?

sansdieu
02-04-2011, 04:54 PM
I tried to buy Benadryl today for my kid, and the instructions now say not to use for kids under 4 (or 6, depends on which bottle you look at). The pharmacist claims it's always been that way - but I'm pretty sure that's not what the bottle I have at home says. Can someone link me to some trustworthy source of information on the matter? Thanks!

bubbaray
02-04-2011, 04:59 PM
I've used Benadryl on both of my girls when they were under 12m old. Definitely under age 3. Many many many times. The dosage is by weight, it should say on the bottle.

sunriseiz
02-04-2011, 05:10 PM
It's a relatively new thing. I think it's to discourage overuse and overdosing as apparently there have been deaths associated with overdose of cold/allergy meds and infants.

I would look here http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088800.asp . Also, you might ask your ped just to get their opinion.

HTH.

Babymakes3
02-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I have been using Benadryl for my ds since he was like 8 months due to food allergies. It was rec'd by my ped and allergist both.

mommymy
02-04-2011, 06:02 PM
I tried to buy Benadryl today for my kid, and the instructions now say not to use for kids under 4 (or 6, depends on which bottle you look at). The pharmacist claims it's always been that way - but I'm pretty sure that's not what the bottle I have at home says. Can someone link me to some trustworthy source of information on the matter? Thanks!

the dosing for a child 2-11 y/o is 1-2mg/kg. If your child weighs 30 pounds for example. That would be 13.6 kg (divide pounds/2.2 to get kg). So he would need between 13.6mg -27.2 mg. In each teaspoon of otc benadryl it's 12.5 mg so I'd give this example a little more than a teaspoon as I ere on the lower end when I dose medication. HTH.

sansdieu
02-04-2011, 06:19 PM
I've used Benadryl since DD was about 1 y.o. - and I know the dosage. I was just surprised that the new bottles discourage ANY use by children under 4 (and children under 6 - do NOT use unless directed by doctor). I thought there may have been some new research or evidence leading to those restrictions - something I wasn't aware of, perhaps. (After all a bunch of drugs were banned for the under 4 crowd - including most decongestants.)

Thanks for the Dr. Sears link; I'll check it out.

WolfpackMom
02-04-2011, 07:07 PM
The new bottles say not to use, our dr gave us dosing instructions for DS. We havent used it yet, but we have it on hand just in case.

dec756
02-04-2011, 08:03 PM
i just gave my son 1 t for an allergic reaction he is 25# hth

swrc00
02-04-2011, 09:25 PM
The pharmacist at Target said it is a new warning being placed. I hadn't bought a bottle in over a year, but noticed it on the new Up and Up bottle I bought this week.

alexsmommy
02-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Like others, I have it and have used it for much younger than three - but for allergic reactions. When I connected the dots and realized DS3 was having a reaction to finned fish, I grabbed the Benadryl and looked up the dosage on Dr. Sears.

MontrealMum
02-05-2011, 01:45 AM
I've used Benadryl on both of my girls when they were under 12m old. Definitely under age 3. Many many many times. The dosage is by weight, it should say on the bottle.

:yeahthat:

I've got a fairly new package and the dosage is still by weight. We're also in Canada, so maybe things have changed in the US?

The concerns about kids and medicine were about cold medicine, not OTC allergy meds. Again, maybe the reaction has been different in the US than it has here.

elephantmeg
02-05-2011, 02:16 AM
I've given my kids benadryl for a variety of reasons from 1 yr and up.

sansdieu
02-07-2011, 03:36 PM
The concerns about kids and medicine were about cold medicine, not OTC allergy meds. .

That's what I thought; that's why I was surprised to see new dosing on Benadryl - and to see 2 conflicting sets of dosing instructions on 2 different bottles (CVS brand and regular Benadryl, with the same exact active ingredient).