PDA

View Full Version : Another Cupcake Question

Fairy
02-04-2011, 10:30 PM
After an embarrassing wrong post in a completely different thread (I'm dumb :bag) ... sorry I've got another cupcake question here. Third thread. I warned you!

So, if the box says 20-25 mintues for 24 cupcakes, but I'm only baking 12, does that mean I should bake it for a shorter period of time? I set the timer for 15 minutes, and to my amazement the toothpick came out clean. How is that possible? I thought I'd jsut see how wet they still were at 15 minutes so as to monitor and not burn them. I never thought they'd actually be done. I didn't beleive them so stuck them in for 18 total minutes. Before I stick my next batch in, what do you recommend for 12 at a time when the box says 24 are 20-25 minutes?

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2011, 10:32 PM
I have never experienced that before. Usually the cook time is pretty darned close if I am only making part of a batch. Good thing you checked on them because I wouldn't have thought to check that soon.

Beth

bubbaray
02-04-2011, 10:33 PM
You're not dumb, *I* knew you would figure it out when your stalker (me) didn't reply to your latest cupcake post....

:)

I wouldn't think it would make that much of a time difference, but I would test the 2nd batch at the same time. I always test my cupcakes for "doneness" with a toothpick, regardless of what the box says (and yes, I use boxed mix for cupcakes, I make them rarely and I don't care if they are full of chemicals, I like the ones with the rainbow chunks and dunno how to make those from scratch).

Fairy
02-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Well, I've deciced against scratch for now. Very complicated for me. I know my limits. However, as an update, the 2nd batch weren't done as quickly. And ONE in the second batch didn't rise. ??!!. Very strange. Anyway, seems like a random checking thing. I guess? Weird.

ps -- Havne't forgotten about the mac & cheese. Will do it by tonight! Not the same kind of "by tonight" as the spreadsheet I still owe you, as this "tonight" will be for real. REALLY.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2011, 11:55 PM
From scratch chocolate cupcakes are some of the easiest things to bake in the world! I make this for bake sales, frost with homemade chocolate frosting and dump M&Ms over top- people come back for 3rds!!
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/one-bowl-chocolate-cupcakes

Beth