PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use their KKAFP past the infant stage?

citymama
02-05-2011, 04:32 AM
I loved the KKAFP with my baby as an infant, but past 3 or 4 months, I've preferred my Pikkolo or Ergo/structured carrier. I have a Scootababy in reserve (thanks to BBBer amandabea) for when I want to have her in hip carry later on. Should I hang on to my KKAFP or is it not really much use past babyhood? With the company out of business, and the website down, I don't have access to instructions for how to use it with older babies/toddlers, and DD hasn't been willing to let me experiment. Did you use it with age 1 and up (DD is almost 9 months) and how? Does it have any advantage over a structured carrier? I'm in a major purge mode of baby stuff and was planning to sell my KKAFP unless someone can talk me out of it! Thanks!

kwc
02-06-2011, 02:12 AM
I did, but my DD was very small (not even 17 lbs at a year, and 21 lbs at 2) and LOVED the KKAFP... we probably used it often up to 18-20 months, occasionally up until age 2? Plus, where we lived (foggy part of SF), it was seasonally appropriate year-round. We just used the regular side carry on my hip

She did not really like ring slings, and I did not get my Beco until DS, who didn't really like slings as much... he was always trying to lean out/ away. Boo.

I love the "poppability" and portability of the KKAFP, but if you are already using your Pikkolo/ Ergo a lot, I don't think you will get a ton of use out of your KKAFP unless your DD really loves it.

I am still so sad they are out of business.

citymama
02-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Wait a minute, are we neighbors? ;) This is really the town for KKAFPs - perfect year-round, except on summery days like today!

My DD is pretty wee as well - not quite as small, but I doubt she'll be 20 lbs till well past 1. I think I'll hang on to it for a bit and see? How do you position the baby/pouch for hip carry, and do you have to support them a lot?

kwc
02-06-2011, 08:08 PM
We used to be neighbors... we were in West Portal (foggy fog fog!) but now we're in sunny Palo Alto.

When DD was older, just had her facing in on my L hip and barely had to support her at all with my L arm... she was a great leaner! She did use the kangaroo carry (forward facing with her legs folded criss cross underneath her from about 6 months to a bit over 1 but it didn't feel very secure if I had to lean forward at all and I usually kept my left arm around her.

Good luck! I gave mine to my SIL in Chicago and I still miss it

doberbrat
02-08-2011, 12:34 AM
I use mine. DD1 I used it till she was 2 at least. maybe even 3. I find it the perfect carrier to pop in/out of a store. - I dont put my kids in carts Ever! dd1 was always petite. She didnt hit 20lbs till nearly 18mo.

I still use it for dd2 for the same purposes. She's only 14mo, but weighs 24 lbs already. I wouldnt use it for a long trip to target, but to run into the drug store, post office, grocery store etc, its perfect for us.

for a quick trip into the store, I dont want to be bothered w/an ssc. its overkill for me. in winter I use my kkafp, and in nicer weather, I use a rs.

that being said, if you're happy w/the carriers you already have, no need to keep it. Just b/c someone else loves it doesnt mean you have to!